Topic: Who wants to drive the legendary '61 Caddy in the April Detroit race?

We plan on competing for IOE again at Gingerman. I've been looking for a drivetrain to replace the locked-up 390, but I prefer something more interesting than your average junkyard 350/350. I've been considering a Northstar/FWD conversion (LOTS of work, but tremendous cool factor in a '61). I'd also be open to almost any sizeable motor for a swap. Seeing the post in another thread about the guy with the 472 that needed a car for LeMonizing led me to an idea:

Who want to supply a solid V8 drivetrain (and a hand installing it) in return for a #2 racer position on the next race the car does? You'll get instant Lemons Legend status, have a blast with the body roll/tire squealing in every turn, and experience more spectator thumbs up and applause for your efforts than you ever dreamed possible. Plus, it will help us raise money to fight the ugly beast that is breast cancer. Help us save the ta-ta's, and have fun at the same time!

Post up what you've got here, or email me at speedycop@comcast.net if you have a stout V8 drivetrain, some driving skill, you are a team player with a great attitude, and you have some working knowledge of your infernal combustion engine. You can have it back after the race if you'd like (and if it survives). The car is in Maryland, near DC, so if you are in Oregon, you might wanna reconsider.  I've got the plasma cutter/mig welder/engine hoist standing by, as well as the skill (theoretically) to swap in whatever. We'll probably shoot for a mid-February build, so you have time to prepare.

How about it?
http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/8183722/aview/caddyside2.jpg

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

2 (edited by Speedycop 2009-12-30 06:41 AM)

Re: Who wants to drive the legendary '61 Caddy in the April Detroit race?

BTW, the car has a $1 residual value, so your engine can be valued at up to $499. We refuse to cheat, so no killer built setups, please, no matter how stock they appear.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)

3 (edited by JThw8 2009-12-30 06:47 AM)

hmmmm....Of course I have absolutely zero donors around here right now but I'll keep my eyes open for something um...fun... for you.

Of course you realize the caddy should be the first twin engined car.  With enough scrounging you should be able to get 2 FWD V8 drivetrains wink

I do have a wartburg 3 cyl 2 stroke if you want to do something really slooooow.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

Jim, I'm planning on stopping by on Friday to check on the Wart's progress, we can scheme together then. I've been planning to do the twin V8 thing for years, only as a FWD 32v Continental, and not for Lemons. I'm willing if you are, though...

Actually, I have the FWD 350 in the Toronado, and I've seen others on CL for under $500. We could do a twin 350 setup, for double the epic fail!

Speedycop wrote:

Actually, I have the FWD 350 in the Toronado, and I've seen others on CL for under $500. We could do a twin 350 setup, for double the epic fail!

Yeah, that would work.

I should be around friday until around 2pm, I'll pm you with a number.

Toranado drive trains should work well smile

OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."

At least you could alternate them during the race. When one overheats, cut if off and fire up the other!

Speedycop wrote:

At least you could alternate them during the race. When one overheats, cut if off and fire up the other!

Brilliant!

9 (edited by Mulry 2009-12-30 08:00 AM)

You should pick up that Rolls Royce Meteor that was posted on here the other day.

http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewtopic.php?id=2906

Sure, $12k might be slightly outside your budget for a Lemons motor, but I suspect that the judges would totally look the other way on 27-liter V-12 swap of a former tank engine. smile Plus, that Caddy's gotta be one of the few LeMons-prepped cars that is big enough to accommodate that engine without significant body and frame appendage.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

10 (edited by Speedycop 2009-12-30 11:53 AM)

Maybe the Meteor guy wants to drive the Caddy too? big_smile Think he'd go for this deal?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'd get zero laps. Then again, the car wouldn't make very many laps before some obscure WWII part machined from unobtainium failed...

Anything over 16.6-liters we generally let slide

And yes, we are hoping for a dual-viper V20

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Speedycop wrote:

Maybe the Meteor guy wants to drive the Caddy too? big_smile Think he'd go for this deal?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'd get zero laps. Then again, the car wouldn't make very many laps before some obscure WWII part machined from unobtainium failed...

Maybe you can get those tank restoration guys on the Isle of Man to co-sponsor your drive? And Jim Cameron, I hear he's cornered the market on unobtanium. I watched some show where they put a tank on a rotisserie to restore it. Sick.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

What do you guys think of a dog-slow 6.2 diesel with a 3 speed manual, converted to run on veggie oil? A green biodiesel powerplant could only help our charity fundraising efforts. I can score the motor with a three speed manual bolted up, plus a good spare three speed, for $150 cash tomorrow.

Speedycop wrote:

What do you guys think of a dog-slow 6.2 diesel with a 3 speed manual, converted to run on veggie oil? A green biodiesel powerplant could only help our charity fundraising efforts. I can score the motor with a three speed manual bolted up, plus a good spare three speed, for $150 cash tomorrow.

DO EEET!

Ditch the veggie, investigate some tuning and buy lots of head gaskets.

Funny, after we talked this morning I was thinking diesel too.

That's a good price for that motor.

15 (edited by Speedycop 2009-12-30 06:03 PM)

Yeah, those transmisions are probably worth more than $150 alone. If I need lots of head gaskets, the car won't likely win IOE. It needs to stay out on track running.

So, The Honorable Jay Lamm, Esquire, has spoken. The Caddy will be powered by...
...well, you'll just have to wait and see. big_smile

Have you guys figured something out to power this car?  Is it a done deal?  I live in Virginia beach and could come up with an engine and driveline very easily for this car.  Email at kartertony@yahoo.com if you still looking.  Maybe we can talk more.

Mulry wrote:
Speedycop wrote:

Maybe you can get those tank restoration guys on the Isle of Man to co-sponsor your drive? And Jim Cameron, I hear he's cornered the market on unobtanium. I watched some show where they put a tank on a rotisserie to restore it. Sick.

the rotisserie unit resides in nevada, at a military vehicle restoration shop/museum.
that bunch is tied in with the isle of mann group, somehow or other.

i saw the series on the miitary channel..........

kartertony wrote:

Have you guys figured something out to power this car?  Is it a done deal?  I live in Virginia beach and could come up with an engine and driveline very easily for this car.  Email at kartertony@yahoo.com if you still looking.  Maybe we can talk more.

Email sent. We know what we want to do. I'm looking for running Eldorado parts cars, preferably big blocks (429/472/500/425). If you know of one, send me the info PLEASE!

20 (edited by icemang17 2010-01-03 04:21 PM)

I do have a bunch of older 928 V8's lying around.....but even the lowest HP one is rated at 220HP 250 torque...... 4.5L 16V single overheard cam 8.5CR non interference motor.......extremely reliable Bosch K Jet-CIS fuel injection....what could possibly go wrong??  Around 540lbs in race trim...

And yes the 928 V8 is a "BIG block" at 122mm bore spacing.......

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

I'm looking to make it more reliable, not less... big_smile

Speedycop wrote:

So, The Honorable Jay Lamm, Esquire, has spoken. The Caddy will be powered by...
...well, you'll just have to wait and see. big_smile

Benz 12 cyl maybe...

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

maybe a certain 16 cyl seen around these parts earlier??????

Speedycop wrote:

I'm looking to make it more reliable, not less... big_smile

wheres the fun in that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

hey guys  just  read this  i live  down the street from  jim  and have a 1969  eldarado sitting inthe  yard  that  i havent done anything  with yet        might  be able to  work  somthing  out  pm  me