Topic: Racing Springs for cheap

Maybe it's just the cheapskate in me. We make regular trips to the local pick-and-pulls always scouting for 1 ton van or pickup trucks with front coils. Cut the springs down to appropriate ride hieghts and rate them. This was for heavier Monte Carlo type circle track cars, but lighter truck or bigger car stuff can be made to work for lighter cars. Just about every circle track shop or garage will have a spring rater. Tell them what you are doing and they will probably rate them for you for a donut. If you are on the south side of Chicago, we can do it for you. Used coilover racing springs are dirt cheap at the circle track auctions. I purchased an assorted box of 10 for $20 in the past. It's a trial and error thing, but if I can figure it out anyone can. Be sure to rate your old springs as a baseline.
We have a nice assortment of $5 and $10 coil springs collected over the years. Too bad we have leaf springs on the rear. I'm old enough to remember how to re-arc leaf springs with 2 bricks and a big hammer and add extra old leaves for stiffness.

Re: Racing Springs for cheap

I filled up the trunk of my car with BRAND NEW coilover parts for free. Enough to build two sets of top of the line coilovers. Granted, I have no idea what rate some of the springs are, and some dampers are certainly defective, but you would be surprised what some companies throw away!

And no, I wouldn't even think of throwing them on my frankenmetro, even though they would realllllly simplify my build. It would never fly with the judges.

The Charnal House Geo MetSHO: Turning less laps than a regular Metro, the hard way!

1969 Subaru 360