Topic: Dye Penetrant, DIY?

Is it affordable and is it something I can do from the comfort of my kitchen?

I bent/broke some stuff at Arse-Freeze and would like to make sure the stuff that looks good is good.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t31.0-8/p480x480/10854334_1052046438142846_6986406805248288029_o.jpg

Re: Dye Penetrant, DIY?

Depends and yes.  Just like anything tool related, you can go nuts but the spray stuff is much better than nothing.  But I'm kinda old school and others may disagree.

This is the kind of stuff I'm talking about.  I included the link because it includes directions.
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/group … =CRACKTEST

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Looks interesting. Thanks.

penetrant testing is a simple effective tool for detectting cracks etc. and is simple to perform

It also is simple to screw up and get bad results or miss flaws.

Your part needs to be clean, very clean in the area you want to inspect before you begin.

Then clean it again!

it is easy to apply the penetrant and wait, use clothes you dont care if you lose, because the dye will stain anything it touches.

after waiting clean the excess dye off with a DRY cloth until you dont see any more residue on the cloth

Then use a very lightly moistened cloth with the cleaner to do final removal of excess penetrant.  BE CAREFUL here it is easy to overclean and miss flaws, never spray cleaner on the part or you will flush out the penetrant.

Wait sa coiuple of minutes and spray on a LIGHT COATING of developer, watch the developer for red dots or lines, use plenty of light to help see the results.

Any questions let me know, it is what I do for a living

2014 Spring Southern Discomfort- I.O.E. Winner 1956 Crown Vic , Fall CMP 5th place class C Pinto,
2015 Barber 2nd class C Pinto, 2015 Class C WINNER Spring CMP, 2015 Fall CMP Mid pack class B

Fuzzy Blumpkins/GoPher Broke - 1979 Pinto Limited Edition Squire "Titleless", 1988 Merkur XR4TI......why oh why?

5 (edited by Geri Atric 2019-03-04 12:59 PM)

To Ripened Lemon, or anyone
I do have a question. I have  two plates weld from both sides. can I put Dye penetrant on one side and the developer on the other side?
such as with a metal storage tank. Is that going to tell me if I have any leaks?