Topic: The most hopeless Lemons marque: Mitsubishi!

http://jalopnik.com/assets/images/gallery/12/2008/08/medium_2733292072_bd91cf8cd3_o.jpg

See this Eclipse? It finished 6th overall at the South '08 race. It is the highest-finishing Mitsubishi product (including Chrysler-badged captive imports) in 24 Hours Of Lemons history.

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/12/2009/09/500x_LSF09-Top-029-500px.jpg
After that, it appears that the Lab Rats Colt, which took 29th overall at the South Fall '09 race is the second-least unreliable Lemons Mitsubishi.

That's pretty damn terrible, especially considering how many Talons, Eclipses, and 3000GTs we've seen by now. So now that a Nissan has taken a Lemons overall win, those of you looking for a real hopeless challenge should start buying Cordia Turbos, Starions, and Diamantes- hey, they're fast on paper!

Re: The most hopeless Lemons marque: Mitsubishi!

Thats way better then any Volga has done at Lemons.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

Starion search has begun...

I ran a Starion on the local dirt track. Twice as fast as anything else in the 4 banger class, lasted less than ten laps each time before massive failures (melted piston, etc.). Have at it.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

A Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo is the way to go. Here's a pair for $500 each...

http://nashville.en.craigslist.org/cto/1517792091.html

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/1523126258.html

6 (edited by icemang17 2010-01-03 04:29 PM)

My parents were "intelligent" enough to buy my 16 year old self a Chrysler Conquest Tsi (188hp-234 torque) turbo 5 speed for ME ...NOT SMART...but the car wasn't that bad.....yes it did EAT clutches and tires.....and blow the headgasket (s)....and eat the brakes......constant overheating...broken crossmember.....okay maybe it wasn't as good as I remember it......but it sure seemed FAST at the time..

Big tires (225/50-16 front 245/45-16 rear was the same as the Porsche 928 of that year) good handling (8 way adjustable KYB struts) big brakes (vented discs all around) torque monster turbo motor 234ftlbs @ 2500rpm..... 

if I found one locally I would consider building it?  what could possibly go wrong

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Well this wasn't a discouraging thread to find at all after we just bought our starion....

Guess we better get the motor built as solid as possible. Hopefully we can get a decent place but being our first race I have my doubts.

Do the balance shaft elimination, it's easy, and will help prevent a devastating failure. Make sure you get new head bolts or studs. Don't raise the boost. Zip tie or tape all sensor/injector connections, they like to wiggle loose. The car will handle AWESOME, and have tons of power. I just hope it stays running.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)

Yeah we expect the car to handle beautifully that engine just scares me, but mitsubishis always have when it comes to reliability.

Where did the haji's in New Orleans with the crazy music place?

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

stiffen up the body too.......my conquest was VERY flexible...which I think caused the cracked crossmember problem....I could jack up one front tire a foot off the ground and the other was still down....

Also change ALL of the fuel injection seals...mine leaked a scary amount....theres only 2 injectors..but even the lines leaked.... 

with stock or less boost.....a better headgasket-studs and some type of better radiator (think something from a truck sticking out the hood) you might be okay?  My conquest had an LSD and did handle quite well for its time....it was VERY sensitive to alignment....when I put Michelin tires with a good alignment the handling was MUCH better!!!  The busted crossmember didn't help either....

I'd imagine you could get a starion to under 2500lbs too...with big tires-brakes and the turbo it could be a contender....

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Baron wrote:

32nd place overall. They blew a front main seal and had to search all over the place to find a new one. They also racked up a lot of penalties.

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2009/06/LNO09-Top-32y.jpg

The Jihadis allowed me to install my video camera in their car. Here's a video with the camera facing forward.

Here's a video with the camera facing to the rear (bolted to a front fender).

MurileeMartin wrote:
Baron wrote:

32nd place overall. They blew a front main seal and had to search all over the place to find a new one. They also racked up a lot of penalties.

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/j … op-32y.jpg

The Jihadis allowed me to install my video camera in their car. Here's a video with the camera facing forward.

Here's a video with the camera facing to the rear (bolted to a front fender).

NICE....great theme.....  I like the music and chanting

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Here's a Lemons Mitsu that could finish a race:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/ … 18259.html

Just needs valve stem seals (obviously)

Speedycop wrote:

Here's a Lemons Mitsu that could finish a race:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/ … 18259.html

Just needs valve stem seals (obviously)

If this is one of the rare V6 shortcab 5 speeds...then it would be okay....a friend had one and it was QUICK......plenty quick to keep up with the field...I think they were 160hp in a lightweight mini truck

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

We are bringing a Mirage to the houston race.

I put the 3000GT at Nelson into class 2--ordinarily, a relatively modern, six-cylinder Japanese sport coupe would be a class 1 slam-dunk. I figured the Mitsubishi factor would even things out--then the frickin' thing was running in the top three if not leading overall!

Then things evened out.

I recall seeing a Starion really dominating at Altamont... and then, well, stuff broke.

MurileeMartin wrote:

I recall seeing a Starion really dominating at Altamont... and then, well, stuff broke.

Clarkson must have hit the electric overboost swtich...

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

Some cars do really well on a race track for about two hours at a time. If we ever have the 120 Minutes of Lemons, the Starion, Taurus SHO, 300ZX, and XR4Ti will become serious contenders.

MurileeMartin wrote:

Some cars do really well on a race track for about two hours at a time. If we ever have the 120 Minutes of Lemons, the Starion, Taurus SHO, 300ZX, and XR4Ti will become serious contenders.

NICE......I vote for the 10.5 hours of Lemons....since thats how long the "estate" lasted

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

I just saw a Mirage in the distance, we will race it this year as soon as we reach it.
                    Dave

It Ain't My Fault

Speedycop wrote:

I just hope it stays running.

it won't.

i think a Starion Turbo/Conquest TSi is probably the ultimate "sounds good on paper, but is horrible in real life" idea.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Buzz Killington wrote:
Speedycop wrote:

it won't.

i think a Starion Turbo/Conquest TSi is probably the ultimate "sounds good on paper, but is horrible in real life" idea.

No, that would be the Subaru SVX, followed by the Eagle Talon TSi AWD (and siblings) and Merkur XR4Ti.

MurileeMartin wrote:
Buzz Killington wrote:
Speedycop wrote:

it won't.

No, that would be the Subaru SVX, followed by the Eagle Talon TSi AWD (and siblings) and Merkur XR4Ti.

hey the talon i drove at nelson lasted almost 14 hours.  well that's counting the 2 hour head gasket change after the first 5 hours on track, but close enough