Topic: Snagged a 1942 Buick last night---Hello General Patton Lemons car!

That's right, I picked up a PREWAR sedan last night for the unreal sum of $250 cash! It's VERY rough, but the 1942 Buick Special's complete straight-8 drivetrain ran 5-10 years ago, and is not locked up. It has a good manual 3-on-the-tree, and a good rear. In fact, all 4 wheels roll freely, and the frame looks SOLID. The floors and rockers are bad. SRSLY. We're practically talking Flinstones here. However, all fours doors open and shut, and the hood and roof are in like-new condition! The front fenders were sitting next to the car, but are decent. The left rear fell partially off on the way home, which was expected. I've gotta go back for the grill, tail lights, and many of the parts. They were stored in a shed that recently collapsed due to the snow, and must be dug out.

This was the CL ad:

1942 Buick Straight 8 Engine - $500 (Vienna, va)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2010-01-02, 4:56PM EST
Reply to: sale-mk4vm-1534437766@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a rusty old car that has plenty of good parts i.e. fenders, front hood, back glass, trim, motor, and more if you want the whole thing or just parts email me. I don't want this car to go to waste. It is at a friends house and he is tired of looking at it. The picture below is not the actual car, but similar condition. This ad is for a four door. I will get to taking pictures is someone is interested.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/ … 37766.html

I called right away, and was gonna offer $300 cash, which I expected to be refused, due to the rarity of the car, even as a parts donor (supposedly only like 200 made in '42). After telling the guy of my General Patton/Lemons rat rod plans, he told me to bring him $250 cash, and take it away. SCORE! First Lemons prewar car is now in my trailer. Better pics to come next weekend, when I unload it and mock up the fenders. In the meantime, here's a teaser:

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/8183722/aview/42buickrearsmall.jpg

Murilee, this straight-8's for you!

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Re: Snagged a 1942 Buick last night---Hello General Patton Lemons car!

As I recall, I was the one who called for more Lemons straight-eight goodness. wink
And I wanna drive this thing, even if it's just up the road before it races. I've never actually driven anything with an I8. big_smile

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

Considering the free labor I will likely seek from you on it, that can be arranged.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)

I believe Stalin also drove (well, was driven in) a prewar Buick.

SCORE......too cool...straight 8....how big is the engine? 

Are you gonna bring it to some west coast races for us to race against

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

West coast team will procure west coast cars. It costs waaaay too much to trailer/ship cars cross country.

Here's Patton's actual car:
http://mailer.fsu.edu/~akirk/tanks/UnitedStates/us-other/us-PattonsStaffCar.jpg

You'll need to memorize his "shoveling shit in Louisiana" speech, of course. Wait, will the whole team dress as Patton, or just one guy? If so, who gets to be Patton Himself?

Jeff will have to be Patton. At the rate I'm losing hair, I'll probably get pegged as Ike... http://theplaceholder.com/forums/images/smilies/noemo.gif

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

Incredible score.  Beats the hell out of our MGB.  Way to raise the bar yet again!

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

Remember, pearl-handled revolvers are for New Orleans pimps!

MurileeMartin wrote:

Remember, pearl-handled revolvers are for New Orleans pimps!

beat me to it!!!! 

Just make it a correct Colt peacemaker single action revolver!!!!

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

This is Lemons... it's gonna be a Toy-r-us orange barreled plastic pop gun!!!

Owner #132 Lancia/Toyota Beta/MR2 Scorpion

If Joe Sr. gets involved, he will make a better Patton. First thing he said, after suggesting the Patton theme, was that he'd need some pearl-handled revolvers. I said it would be Wal-Mart cap guns. Tom, you guessed it.

Somebody needs to be slapped by the General for crappy driving.

mikesr wrote:

Somebody needs to be slapped by the General for crappy driving.

If you are referring to the infamous Caddy VS Tire Wall incident, the slapping only stopped a few days ago. I figured a new year was a fresh start for the culprit.

Oops! Not what I meant. A new penalty at the next race the General is at. Take a slap or a lap.

that is an awesome score.  well played, sir.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Keep it double-dirty. "An army without profanity couldn't fight it's way out of a piss-soaked paper bag."

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

I love it.   Best 'worst' race car yet!

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

Did it happen?

Racing cars is for rookies. Racing crapcans takes balls.

mikesr wrote:

Oops! Not what I meant. A new penalty at the next race the General is at. Take a slap or a lap.

Would it be correct to assume no penalties if you are in a British, French, or American car and you hit a German car?

Local...Hate to say it but somebody might need the straight 8 and associated parts. I recall some donkey paying a TON of money for an exhaust manifold off one on one of the restoration shows. Might be a way to finance the build.. good luck in any event. Is that a + to ground 6v car?

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Um, this topic is from 2010. Pretty sure this car is long gone. Bits of it were used to make the BMWhatever.
http://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LNC11/LNC11-UG-0607.jpg

Fourteen time loser. You'd think I'd know better by now.

Innovative design that. Combo grille/bump stop.

25X Loser - Delinquent Racing - '86 Rust-Tite Merkur - 9 years (when do I get to stop?).

Just need to get the teammates FC RX-7 over to the shop

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1Hik8dOh0cF37x9qxG_KBjkW3j1wlMm11

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook