Topic: What was your best or worst on track moment in Lemons 2009

Lets hear them whether it be funny or not. No crazy rants though.

My personal best was the Jag finishing at T-Hill

My worst was getting the S600 sideways in turn one at T-hill but saved it with no off involved (made big mental note on that one).

Another worst.. Melting the jag down at Button Willow.

Pen

Re: What was your best or worst on track moment in Lemons 2009

Worst moment was after Nelson Ledges, when I had just sold the 61 Caddy to a guy. We took pics with the Lada guys and the judges, and when I fired the Caddy back up everyone cheered. I revved it up, and it spun a bearing with a loud screech and locked up. Naturally the guy backed out of the sale.

Best moment was only minutes before, when we won Organizers Choice.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Best team moment; finishing Fernley! 39th overall with no penalties or breakdowns.

Worst moment; When the Bee failed to arrive at the start/finish line on day one at Thunderjinx, and we heard the news over our friend's radios... "the Bees crashed, they are done".

Best personal moment... when said friends at Free Range and Stick Figure offered seat time.

Thanks guys!  wink

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

Best? For a moment it was getting fast lap of the event at Toledo (got beat towards the end). Also actually getting along and not totally sucking with a 7th & 8th for our two cars at CMP last year.

Worst? Hmm.. Probably blowing the motor with a rod out the side on the 3rd lap of our very first Lemons (also at CMP), and not finding the right parts to put together another one (the engine was a mix of parts which turned out to be a mistake when trying to source junkyard spares!)

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Only one race for our team, but worst moment was when I was driving and heard the diff break while on the front straight at NL.  It turned out to be a 12+ hour repair as we had to fabricate a mount and convert to a larger diff since that was the only one within driving distance.

Best moment was when the car pulled back onto the track at 8am after we bustied our asses all night on the diff and never gave up.  We finished the last four hours of the race and crossed the finish line.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

BEST:  Racing at Arse Freeze for the 1st time ever.....
WORST:  Blowing up the engine (rod bearing) at Arse Freeze 3 hours before finish

I'm hooked...its too much fun...will be back with plenty of rod bearings handy

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Best personal moment-Sitting on the trailer watching the track and our car, still running, at 3:15 am at the Lamest Day.  That was the moment I truly "got" it, and swore to do it again.

Best team moment-finishing our first race.

Worst moment-getting woken up at 7:00 am, and being told the car was dead.  Took 3 hours to fix, but was well worth it

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

The best moment was watching our car take the checkers at the Lamest Day.   We made to the end, an almost impossiable task, but we did it.

Worst  driving like a idiot and going off at turn one (also at Nelson) and getting stuck in the mud, no damage to the car, but a black flag and lost laps thanks to testosterone poisioning.

Most scary,  having to drive on the grass to miss a pair of spinning cars in the middle of the night.

Most fun,  my first stint.   It was great fun having that many cars to slice and dice with!

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

Best and worst are the same for me-

Finishing the last 4 hours at TH with only fourth gear.
40th overall with 10 penalty laps!!

Oh, what a blast!

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

Best moment was admittedly, a bit anti-climactic, but at T-Hill, I finally managed to squeak by with no black flags.

Worst moment was also at T-Hill, when we rolled our car.  Blowing the engine at Buttonwillow takes a close second, but that serendipitously made way for our uber-hack M50 swap.

-Fred

I've got eight slugs in me. One's lead, and the rest are bourbon. The drink packs a wallop and I pack a revolver.

Best personal moment:  Starting day 2 at Buttonwillow near the front of the pack with the rest of the "top 10" from day 1.

Best team moment:  Finishing 8th overall & Least Horrible Yank Tank at Buttonwillow.

Worst personal moment:  Almost losing it in Turn 1 at the Thunderhill Arse-Freeze.  While I was on the front straight, my crew guy asked on the radio what our fuel level was.  Like an idiot, I answered him while braking for turn 1.  I turned in with some brake still applied, and of course the tail came out.  I was lucky to save it with countersteering and full throttle application.  I just love how throttle fixes stability problems in a FWD car...

Team Co-Craptain, Los Cerdos Voladores
Plymouth Neon
Yeah, we're horrible...but we're LEAST Horrible

Worst: When the butt dyno learned just what it feels like when you blow a motor, backstraight, Nelson Ledges. Then working til 3:30 in the morning to swap it out, only to fail at that too.

Best: When my team persevered under long odds overnight to swap in another engine so that we could get back on the track to finish under the checkers and bring home the Heroic Fix Award at Houston in the fall.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Best: Being upto 5th place 3 laps behind leader with 1 hour to go on Sunday at Reno.

Worst: Motor Exploding while in 5th place with 59min to go at Reno.

Best: Dicing with 928 driven by Mark Kibort at Thunderhill on day 1

Worst: Team getting booted from Thunderhill event before I was able to race on day 2

Best (so far!): finishing at Buttonwillow this last year, after blowing the motor at Fernley on test day, no race at all for us then.

"Sparky" Pete wrote:

Worst moment; When the Bee failed to arrive at the start/finish line on day one at Thunderjinx, and we heard the news over our friend's radios... "the Bees crashed, they are done".

Worst: watching your Bee do in-air endos on the backside of Thill. Utah drivers are bad enough, but I've not seen that move here.

"Sparky" Pete wrote:

Best personal moment... when said friends at Free Range and Stick Figure offered seat time.

Thanks guys!  wink

Glad we could (hopefully!) help out some... that's the best part of Lemons, eh?

Team photographer and "sure I'll drive" hanger-on: more races than I ever imagined... MRolla/FX32/Mormon Meteor IV
http://www.facebook.com/StickFigureRacing
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jkiel/coll … 604631509/
http://www.jkiel.com/

While it wasn't groundbreaking or anything, my best personal moment was getting the car completely sideways around a corner at Buttonwillow, convinced I was going to loop it, but amazingly I saved it. I was friggin PUMPED.

http://ermilio-photos.smugmug.com/photos/623803985_rYoLv-L.jpg
http://ermilio-photos.smugmug.com/photos/623804049_gVyCi-L.jpg

Passing the Metrognome and the Eyesore Miata on the same lap was pretty awesome too.

The worst happened on the drive TO Buttonwillow, although it's a fun story to tell now and we got some money out of it.

http://www.porcubimmer.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/img_2100-large.JPG
http://www.porcubimmer.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/img_2098-large.JPG

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

Best: Patching up the SVX enough times, and JUST in time, to take teh checkered flag at CMP Fall. YAY!!!!

Worst: having to patch up the SVX numerous times just to take the checkered flag at CMP.

18 (edited by Jer 2010-01-05 02:10 PM)

My best memory from 2009: Getting bump started (twice) by a tow truck in the Craptation after it died on the parade laps at Stafford and being able to take the green flag in that worthless POS.  That car was insanely awful.  We need to bring it back!   http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t271/Surferjer/Stafford%202009/24hoursofLemons032.jpghttp://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t271/Surferjer/IMGP0851.jpg

Worst memory: watching the coROLLa roll in turn one at CMP 80 minutes into the race.  sad  That car is coming back to CMP in a month!   http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t271/Surferjer/IMG_5949.jpg

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Jer wrote:

Worst memory: watching the coROLLa roll in turn one at CMP 80 minutes into the race.  sad  That car is coming back to CMP in a month!   http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t271 … G_5949.jpg

I'd don't mean to be a jerk, but as one who was coming up behind you, that was COOL! smile

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Best: finishing 34th in our first race - Houston YeeHaw - multiple dents, flat spots on the new tires, rear shocks totally failed Saturday but still running good - and the judges said our camaro was the second worst GM car for a Lemons race.

Worst: Having to wait until February for the next Texas race

The worst was the Craptation above, one of the three worst Lemons cars in Lemons history hahaha

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

22 (edited by MurileeMartin 2010-01-05 06:19 PM)

If we're talking on the track in a literal sense, one of my best moments was when we found the BumperCam V1.0 in the weeds at Buttonwillow, after it got knocked off the bumper of the V8olvo and miraculously avoided getting run over during the following 6 hours.

Our worst moment, after pushing the Snoopy van back to the paddock realizing that we had just spun a rod bearing, the night before the race.

Our best moments: 1) pulling up after a frantic engine rebuild, only to find the People's Curse going on, and everyone was there.  2) Receiving the Heroic Fix award, knowing that the money awarded went to my nephew's double lung transplant. That by far was the most rewarding. Thanks again Jay,Nick & Phil. 
                          Dave

It Ain't My Fault

Best moment - Dogging some other car for a lap and going into a left turn.  He thought he took the apex away.  There was just enough room for me to get up on the curbing and make the pass.  The other driver didn't know I was making the pass and in the middle of the turn, the other driver looked over and his eyes went wide as saucers as he saw us door to door and I was looking back at him less than 5' away. 

Only slightly less - I was told to drive the Craptation until it can't move anymore.  I got a couple of laps, the last being at full throttle for the entire lap.  I go to downshift and in the time that it takes to depress the clutch, shift, and let the clutch out, the engine seizes and the front tires lock up until I stop.  At the time, I was scared about being hit - but now it's one of those things I laugh about.

Worst - Being handed a beer after our car spun a bearing at NL.  It was an acknowledgment of defeat.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Worst Moment: 7:17 am Nelson Ledges. Finally fell asleep around 5:30 am. Slept one hour, got up at 6:30 am, started busting bad drivers and was SO OUT OF IT that I ate two or three McDonalds sausage mcfucky breakfast fuck sangwiches. Let's just say one of the things I will not miss about Nelson Ledges is the mens room.

Best Moment: Too many to choose from. Though the last Houston race seemed to be particularly filled with them. From sticking the driver of Mike Mills's Mustang II into the dog house every time they got a black no matter what (they got many!) to coming up with the "Talk to the Wall" penalty where the miscreant has to literally explain to a wall how it wasn't their fault to the Talk to the Troy penalty where the baddies gets duct taped to Troy!!! for 20 minutes to have a team push us around in our very own $1.99 Caddy Limo to the INSANE shrimp and tequila party in the pits... it was pretty good.

Actually, now that I think about it, the original Troy penalty in New Orleans -- where we duct taped Troy's mouth shut and had him write about his nine paragraph complaint on the hood of his car (Troy of course managed to keep on talking even with duct tape over his mouth) was really magnificent. And there were those drive thru daiquiris...

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"