Topic: My first Lemons build - What am I screwing up?

Hello!  I've been reading through the forum for a while, meaning to build a car for a East Coast race for a few years now, so I figured this is as good (bad?) of a time as any, so here it goes.  I'm new to the 24 HOL series, but I have some experience on cars - just not on as limited of a budget.  Other project/fun cars I own are an '89 Jeep Wranger, '82 Caprice, '67 Chevelle SS396 and a '79 Honda Civic CVCC.  The Jeep and Caprice went from daily drivers (now I drive a '08 Honda Fit) to project/fun cars, but keeping a 20+ year old carbureted vehicle in running shape so I can get to work the next morning gave me enough practice in most repairs.  I've seen other build threads (namely the '50 Dodge Pickup) on here asking questions and posting statuses, so I figured I'd do the same.  I'll also include the budget, the build cost (both exempt and non-exempt) so maybe this thread will help others in the future who start out in Lemons.  Or maybe not. 

The Car:
http://i332.photobucket.com/albums/m343/JonathanJorda/1971%20Fiat%20124%20Sport%20Coupe/2014-05-08_17-51-24_236_zps2db93f7f.jpg
The process started when a '71 Fiat Sport Coupe showed up on this site a few months back.  Judge Phil said "This car must race in Lemons", so I figured it would be a pretty good starting point.  My wife gave me somewhat of approval (or maybe I just took it as approval) and talked it over with a few other people to form a team - and had the car towed up to my house.  For being a '71, it had some pretty exotic stuff - DOHC motor, 4-wheel disc brakes, 5-speed transmission - almost experimental stuff back then.  Hopefully it proves reliable. 

The Budget:
The team consists of 6 people, and the original idea was to each throw in $1,000 to build the car, for a total of $6k budgeted.  Anything left over would go for food, HANS, repairs after the race, spare parts, etc.  Hopefully there's money left.  Looking at prices online (stuff can be CHEAP for Fiats), I broke a tentative budget down as follows:
Wheels/Tires: $1,000
Brake Upgrade: $1,000
Suspension Repairs (ball joints, wheel bearings, control arms, etc.): $500
Cage/Seat/Belts and other Safety: $1,500
Miscellaneous Stuff (stock brake parts, oil, filters, small stuff): $750
Race Costs (trailer rental, track fuel, entry fees): $750
With $500 left over for track food, etc. 

Will this prove to be realistic?  Maybe, but probably not.  I think I was a little light in the cage and a little heavy other places, but hopefully it all works out in the end.

All that was summer/fall of last year.  So far, the money (what we have collected so far, we're all contributing what we can when we can) has gone towards:

Car: $100
Spare Parts/Manuals: $400
Towing: $125 (nobody had a car with a tow hitch or trailer capable of moving the Fiat)
Brake Fluid, disc brake lube, rust penatrating spray, other fluids, washers, Fiat specific tools: $130
Brake parts - $260 on Rock Auto.
Brake Reservoir, caliper sliders, wheel locating pins: $130 
Air filter and housing (old one had too many holes in it to seal out dust) $23
A few gallons of gas: $15

Spent so far: $1183
Left to go in budget: $4817
Left in the $500 budget: $377 (car and air filter out of this budget right now)

I also found a guy on the West Coast restoring the same type of car.  Once the weather thaws and I can get the car out from under the snow and ice that's encasing it now, the car cost will drop down to $0.  Anything above and beyond will just help us out in the budget department. 

What we've completed:
Brakes and general maintenance.  I know that doesn't sound like much, but the brakes needed the most work.  Calipers were removed and in the passenger seat, the rotors were pretty rusted.  Luckily, rotors, pads and caliper kits were cheap on Rock Auto, and we picked up some spare parts too - extra clutch cable, a few additional oil filters, a few gaskets, all for a relatively cheap amount compared to other cars I've worked on.  Once the brake fluid ran clear through the bleeders, I test drove it up and down my driveway - seems good for now! 

Next step:  The cage!
The biggest hurdle is the cage.  I think we have enough team contributions to get the cage started, and someone on the team is a professional welder/fabricator, just no benders.  We were going to go to S&W race cars for the cage and weld it in ourselves.  Well, the welder on the team was going to weld it in.  The floors were rusty, but the rockers and structural areas of the trunk were solid.
http://i332.photobucket.com/albums/m343/JonathanJorda/1971%20Fiat%20124%20Sport%20Coupe/2014-05-20_20-07-21_127_zpsd25b5ccf.jpg
http://i332.photobucket.com/albums/m343/JonathanJorda/1971%20Fiat%20124%20Sport%20Coupe/2014-05-20_20-07-44_630_zpseefcbb21.jpg

This'll be followed by wheels/tires (15" with radial tires to replace the 13" 30 year old bias ply tires on there now) and then a brake upgrade (kits exist to put the new Fiat 500 brakes on the 124).  Probably a new timing belt wouldn't hurt either. 

I'll post up the next time we make progress - probably once the weather warms up and all the ice/snow melt.  We are aiming for August in Thompson, CT, then maybe New Hampshire in October if all goes well. 

If anyone sees something I screw up (or has a suggestion), please let me know!  I'm going to try to learn as I go, aim for reliability first, then work on going fast(ish).  Theme will come last, because even with a great theme, no cage = no race.

Re: My first Lemons build - What am I screwing up?

Put a new timing belt on for sure and change all the fluids (tranny etc,)

Get rid of anything you don't need, anything

2014 Spring Southern Discomfort- I.O.E. Winner 1956 Crown Vic , Fall CMP 5th place class C Pinto,
2015 Barber 2nd class C Pinto, 2015 Class C WINNER Spring CMP, 2015 Fall CMP Mid pack class B

Fuzzy Blumpkins/GoPher Broke - 1979 Pinto Limited Edition Squire "Titleless", 1988 Merkur XR4TI......why oh why?

Counting the days until we see this thing on a Lemons track.

4 (edited by rodknox2 2015-02-20 06:54 PM)

Welcome to Uncle Jay's traveling theme park and petting zoo.

I didn't see a seat...may I suggest a comfortable seat.  Try to avoid drag seats...they're made to be comfortable for about 20 seconds...or for about 1/4 mile.  You'll be in that seat for at least an hour or about 180 times longer than a drag race.  If you can't find a used one, a new one will cost at least $300 (Corbeau).

Also, you'll need race quality brake pads(we use Carbotech XP24), fluid (again, we use Motul RBF600) and fresh flex lines (we use braided stainless).  We carry a spare set of front rotors.  There are other race quality brake parts out there as well.

You will need at least 6 mounted tires. 

Some form of communicating to the driver is also helpful.  If you have been reading this forum, then you should be up to speed on that.

Good luck!  Oh...keep in mind the most constant message from Doctordel's favorite book..The I Ching...and that is...perseverance furthers.

Glad to see progress on the car.  I knew this needed to run in Lemons, but realized I was not the person to make it happen.

I did change the timing belt last year, so that doesn't need to be top of your list.

Thanks for the comments. 

We do have a seat - at least one of the team members has a used seat they're willing to give to the cause.  I'll make sure it fits the rules first, and if it's legal and comfortable enough we'll go with it. 

Tires - we're going with 15" ones on new rims for now, and will probably have a few 13" ones for backup.  If we can afford more 15" wheels and tires, we will, or we'll use 15" on the front and 13" on the rear in case of emergency (I hope it doesn't come to this).  Any wheels for this car are either brand new (expensive) or 30+ years old and 14" max.  The 4x98 bolt pattern is a pretty odd one except with Italian cars it seems. 

Brake pads were going to be EBC greenstuff - they're available for the new Fiat 500, and the kit I was looking at uses all factory Fiat 500 components (hopefully that means parts stores might have pads and rotors in stock!) and braided stainless lines.  Hopefully they'll be good for the track and the budget.  I know brakes are exempt, but we still need to pay for them. 

We haven't had the chance to figure out communication - we might just stick a cell phone in the car and have the call going all the time to use as communication with a board as a backup. 

Greg, I know you said you changed the belt, but we're going to change it before the first race.  Replacement belts are cheap enough and cheap insurance. 

I'm working on a garage addition now, so I hope to make more progress once that's complete.  I'll be able to do work at night in good light and any weather!  It should be done just in time for spring and nice weather again.

Hi there, and welcome to the forums!

As a newbie myself, the one race I've captained a car in makes me want to comment on the race fees section of your budget. I think you're going to be unlikely to get away with $750 - the registration fee for the car alone is $600, along with $50 transponder rental, and that's before you get a trailer for the weekend ($220ish at Uhaul), gas to get to and from the race (my FJ Cruiser's MPG dropped almost in half towing our racecar), and gas for the race itself.

Depending on what sort of stuff you have hidden in the garage you may want to consider an awning ($100-200), camping gear ($50 to register to camp at the track, or however much a hotel room or two is), chairs, etc.

I am not particularly mechanically inclined, and have not wrenched much, so the sticker shock in prepping for our first race was pretty amazing. Of course, it's not so bad as I'm prepping this weekend for our second race in Dallas, but be prepared for your race expenses to be quite a bit more than the $750 you have budgeted.

HTH
Toni

#98 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight - Class A car in the hands of a Class D team - MSR Houston IOE!

I'm sure you have seen this advice already but there is an order of priority that you should properly work towards.

1. Make the car pass tech.
There is not much that can't be fixed at the track but having the cage and seat right before you get there will save a lot of stress.

2. Make sure it will be reliable.
Basics like fluid changes, hoses and belts, fuel system (old fuel tanks tend to be full of rust that will be released when you fill it all the way up for the first time in 10 years), electrics etc

If all this is good you will run long enough to have problems with things like brakes and tires. Bring a spare set of pads and inspect every few hours until you find how fast they are wearing, this can be very driver dependent but you don't want to get to the metal on metal stage where you have possibly screwed the calipers as well as the rotors.

For spares you have found rock auto, buy everything that's cheap for your car especially things like ball joints, tie rod ends, wheel and axle bearings etc. If you have time replace and keep the old as spares or just bring the new parts, it's much better to grab a $9 rockauto tie rod end from your spares than be off track and chasing down a part that local parts stores likely will not have.

Good luck!

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Oh and check this out for finding the closeout parts for your car, I tend to check back every couple of weeks for mine and grab anything that is stupid cheap. I have turned a profit on some of the parts that I didn't need as well smile

http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewt … p?id=11259

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Cool, another Fiat 124!

Mine isn't for Lemons, and it's a Spider, but allow me to pass along wisdom gained from my father in law, who is building an even crazier Fiat than you or I... (His is a Locost 7 stuffed with all the driveline of a '76 Spider)

4x98 wheels are cheap and available near you, I bet. The steel wheels from a new 500 fit fine. They are 15" and usually $100 a set if that on CL.

Running 1 weber or 2? I see yours has 2000 badges, does it have a late EFI 2000 motor to match?

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

Race fees are a bit off. 
Car $600
Drivers $150 X 6
Camping $50
Transponder $50
Total $1600

I would also budget a bit more for safety gear.  A pre-bent cage from Roll Cage Components runs a little under $700 delivered and not installed which if you're not an experienced roll cage welder I would pay someone to help out.  Sounds like you have a seat, but a mounting bracket with slider runs about $125, a harness starts at about $80 but the nicer cam locks are often double that.  Plus a bunch of small stuff that adds up such as fire extinguishers, roll cage padding, tow points, and kill switch.

There are also a lot of race weekend stuff that it hard to budget for but adds to the expenses, such as fuel jugs and gas.  Lots of little stuff that really adds up quick.

Hope you guys get it ready for the May race!  Looking forward to seeing that on the track.

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

Thanks for the replies!  I'll up the budget a bit for the on track costs, but each driver is responsible for their own stuff (Driver fee, license, suit, helmet) because some people had a helmet and suit, some hand only a helmet, some had nothing - so that's why it was a bit low.  And I'm not sharing underwear.  Hopefully we come in enough under budget for everything else that the driver entry fees will be covered. 

We may be able to borrow a trailer, but in a way, that's towards the bottom of the list for now.  We need the cage first.  Worst case I can rent a trailer from U-haul, or possibly buy a used one out of my own money.  I guess that decision will be made depending on what's available closer to race time. 

I have some portable pop-up tents, chairs and stuff.  I have 4 small kids, so we're probably going to stay in a hotel nearby.  They will have fun at the track, but I don't think they'll handle the camping too well. 

The previous owner (Greg above) cleaned out the tank, lines, and rebuilt the carburetor.  I'm going to add an additional filter before the fuel pump before racing, and have a fuel pump as a spare in case the one that's there goes bad. 

The car has the 1608 motor according to the casting numbers, I guess an owner sometime in the past thought the badges looked nice.  Single Weber 32/36 downdraft carb, but if I find an inexpensive dual carb manifold I'll pick it up for later - maybe the residual will be low enough after the first few races to make that a possibility.  Turbo manifolds are available now too....  The 2000 motor is a little taller than the 1608, so I'm not sure it'll clear the hood, but I'm sure some creative clearancing will allow it to fit.  As part of the "keeping it reliable", I think we're going to stay as stock as possible for the first few races. 
http://i332.photobucket.com/albums/m343/JonathanJorda/1971%20Fiat%20124%20Sport%20Coupe/2014-05-08_17-51-44_828_zps6a165973.jpg

From what I was told the new Fiat 500 wheels are slightly different backspacing, and there may be clearance issues when the wheels are fully turned.  I'll check into the steel wheels, though.  The alloy wheels I was looking at were about $500 per set.  If we can save some cash great!  I still hope we get in under budget, but time will tell.  If I need to spend more, then so be it, hopefully my wife understands! 

I'm not making the May race.  It's Mother's Day Weekend for NJMP, and there's no way I'm getting the permission to both build a race car AND go racing on Mother's Day.  I also don't think the car will be ready in time - no sense rushing it and not being able to enjoy the build.  Maybe next year the race will be the weekend before or after - or I'll tow down to the Carolina race. 

Thank you all for your input so far!  I look forward to posting up pictures of this build and finally getting it to the track.  I'll try to borrow a GoPro for getting some video of the laps.

We budgeted 1000$ between 5 drivers for our first race not counting the purchase price of the car. It worked out surprisingly well.

The advice I give everybody:
If you can keep it street legal, do it. That way you can drive it around before the race to make sure everything works correctly.

Planet Express
"IOE" "C Win" 4834.701 Race Miles and counting
Toyocedes
"Least Southern Pickup Truck" "IOE" "C win" "C win (again?)"

I live 20 minutes from S&W.

I purchased a pre bent cage from Rollcagecomponents.com.  May cost a few more $, but you've got the expensive part covered, (fabricator).

Jim is awesome and you get more than you'll ever need, which is a really good thing.

As far as carbotech pads.  You can send them backing plates, and they put the pad material onto your old plates.  they did this for our pinto, and it's worked out very well.  talk to Mike Jr.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

this is cheapish

4x98 isn't terribly common in 15. we've got 4x98 to 4x100 adapters/spacers, and that makes VW wheels almost perfect for the simca, or try those new 500 takeoffs

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

Forums. Go find the Fiat forum and start looking over what those guys have done to there cars. Find out if there are any easy upgrades, like finding the brakes or struts from a bigger/other car, which can swap in easily. Or spring or sway bar upgrades. Some of those guys have owned cars for 20-30 years and know lots of the tricks. Some upgrades of that leave for after the first race, just get it running and safe for the first race. But maybe you'll happen upon something easy.

I see you've double budgeted for Brakes, you've got $1K in for brake upgrade and 750 for brake repairs. Just get the brakes working and reliable for now. Go through the bearings, seals, calipers, probably new brake lines. Get SS braided lines if you can, or get someone to make them by sending your old lines in and have them make SS braided copies. Front and rear (1 or 2 rubber lines at the rear!)

Battery to the rear of the car, it will make up for removing the interior.

The 32/36 weber should be a great carb for that engine, even with a bigger cam and some engine work, so don't worry too much about that now, just make sure it works correctly.

as mentioned 6 wheels minimum, or 8, 1 set for racing dry, one set for racing wet (rain).

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

mackwagon wrote:

Forums. Go find the Fiat forum and start looking over what those guys have done to there cars. Find out if there are any easy upgrades, like finding the brakes or struts from a bigger/other car, which can swap in easily. Or spring or sway bar upgrades. Some of those guys have owned cars for 20-30 years and know lots of the tricks. Some upgrades of that leave for after the first race, just get it running and safe for the first race. But maybe you'll happen upon something easy.

I see you've double budgeted for Brakes, you've got $1K in for brake upgrade and 750 for brake repairs. Just get the brakes working and reliable for now. Go through the bearings, seals, calipers, probably new brake lines. Get SS braided lines if you can, or get someone to make them by sending your old lines in and have them make SS braided copies. Front and rear (1 or 2 rubber lines at the rear!)

Battery to the rear of the car, it will make up for removing the interior.

The 32/36 weber should be a great carb for that engine, even with a bigger cam and some engine work, so don't worry too much about that now, just make sure it works correctly.

as mentioned 6 wheels minimum, or 8, 1 set for racing dry, one set for racing wet (rain).

I would also suggest a local hydraulic shop as a potential supplier for SS brake lines.
-g

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

Personally, I'd keep it bone stock and just put decent 2-300TW tires on it.  Upgrades can come later.  You don't know what you don't know and you guys aren't racers (yet).  I agree with the stainless lines just because you are going to replace the ones on there.  Forget Carbotech/Porterfield or any of the high dollar stuff for now.  Next time.  Just put the best pads RockAuto or somebody's severe duty pads and check them after the first day.  You'll probably be able to buy at least 3 sets for what custom Carbotech/Porterfield will cost.  Maybe even find someone on ebay that is selling NOS Ferodo DS pads.  Whatever.  Use good brake fluid (ATE/ZMotul/etc).  Fiats had very good brakes for their time.  They also handled decent.  Make it run and drive reliably first which means being ultra anal about cleaning the (stock) fuel and cooling systems.  Pull the fuel tank and send it to the radiator shop along with your radiator and have both cleaned out.  Replace the fuel hard line.  Clean that carb real good.  Replace the fluids in anything that uses them.  Make it street legal.  Drive the car for a few weeks and then see where you stand.  Replace the (at least front) wheel bearings before you race it.   I wouldn't worry about getting 27 sets of tires.  At minimum, 4 on the car and two spares.  Anything more than that is gravy.  No need to spend money on specialized rain tires and such just yet.  Slow down if it's slippery.  Make sure it's aligned before you race it.  At worst, google home alignment and do it yourself for near zero dollars.  Replace the timing belt.  I don't know what tricks they have come up with since but I can remember from when way back when I did one of these that without the special tool for keeping the cams aligned, it was a bitch to change that belt.  As others have said, join a Fiat forum, post what you are doing and ask questions.  Most will think this is a great idea but you'll find a few that you piss off.  Ignore them and learn from the others.

Spend your money now on safety and reliability.  Starting at say race 3 go for performance.  For one thing, the spending curve for the first race is far and away the most expensive so spend wisely.  You guys are just starting out and you won't be able to get more than 70% out of the most tricked out Fiat on the planet.  99% of your speed increase in the beginning will come from just learning to drive fast, not from a car with fancy bits on it.  You can dream later but it's real easy to spend your money in the wrong places and end up with a car with nice parts on it but the team spends the race weekend working on the ones related to reliability that got ignored.  Or spend the time working out the kinks on those custom parts.  When the time comes, you can search for old PBS Fiat racing parts but not now.  Just guessing that Phil would put this in C, I would think a reliable 124 would do decently in that class.

BTW - Love this car.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Just curious, do you have a mechanic named Tony?

Here's a brake kit, but way, way spendy...

http://www.vickauto.com/newstore/index. … ts_id=1745

cheseroo wrote:

Personally, I'd keep it bone stock and just put decent 2-300TW tires on it.  Upgrades can come later.  You don't know what you don't know and you guys aren't racers (yet).  I agree with the stainless lines just because you are going to replace the ones on there.  Forget Carbotech/Porterfield or any of the high dollar stuff for now.  Next time.  Just put the best pads RockAuto or somebody's severe duty pads and check them after the first day.  You'll probably be able to buy at least 3 sets for what custom Carbotech/Porterfield will cost.  Maybe even find someone on ebay that is selling NOS Ferodo DS pads. 
BTW - Love this car.

The best parts store pads are hit and miss.  You'll waste alot of time replacing pads and rotors (and possibly calipers) if you get it wrong. 

Don't cheap out on the pads.  a set of XP8 for the front are less than 150.00, and you'll get at least 2 races out of them.  We get over a season out of our RP2 pads.  $200 well spent.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

21 (edited by cheseroo 2015-02-23 02:25 PM)

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:
cheseroo wrote:

Personally, I'd keep it bone stock and just put decent 2-300TW tires on it.  Upgrades can come later.  You don't know what you don't know and you guys aren't racers (yet).  I agree with the stainless lines just because you are going to replace the ones on there.  Forget Carbotech/Porterfield or any of the high dollar stuff for now.  Next time.  Just put the best pads RockAuto or somebody's severe duty pads and check them after the first day.  You'll probably be able to buy at least 3 sets for what custom Carbotech/Porterfield will cost.  Maybe even find someone on ebay that is selling NOS Ferodo DS pads. 
BTW - Love this car.

The best parts store pads are hit and miss.  You'll waste alot of time replacing pads and rotors (and possibly calipers) if you get it wrong. 

Don't cheap out on the pads.  a set of XP8 for the front are less than 150.00, and you'll get at least 2 races out of them.  We get over a season out of our RP2 pads.  $200 well spent.

Based on my experience with Carbotech, I'd disagree.  They were probably the $400+ least well spent once you add in all the stuff that went sideways for me with them.  That's why I'd argue that you can't make blanket statements about Product X being better than Product Y when it comes to tires and brakes.  But this thread isn't about that.  This is a fairly light car that came with fairly effective 4 wheel disks being driven by a group of newbs.  I'd venture to guess that they won't be threshold braking on lap 2.  Personally, I'd rather see them take the money for exotic brakes and spend it on a quality seat, H/N support or cage component than a consumable that may or may not provide any benefit to them at this point.  Pad upgrades should be a part of the future but I don't see it for this team with this car starting out on a budget.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

YES YES YES YES YES

That is all.

Listen to Cheseroo, he knows what he's talking about. I would go for serious pads and fluid regardless of the car or drivers. the only reason I press that issue is... Brake fade is terrifying on track, ESPECIALLY for noobs. Our Porterfields has always been up to the task, but watching our big pig run completely out of pedal during practice day on our first race... No fun. Make it stop, and then some.

All the love here for the 124 makes me wonder if I'm not depriving the Lemons world, by not planning a cage install on mine! They really are awesome little cars and far simpler/tougher than reputed..?

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

We did our first race with the same DOT 3 fluid the car came with. Don't do it.

Planet Express
"IOE" "C Win" 4834.701 Race Miles and counting
Toyocedes
"Least Southern Pickup Truck" "IOE" "C win" "C win (again?)"

If you don't want to shell out for Carbotech pads, there are other options that are less expensive but still good. We use EBC Yellowstuff. At least two races on a set of front pads. Our car is class C, but we use the shit out of our brakes. I also spent the money on Motul 600 fluid because like FPRbuzz said, brake fade is not a fun time. If your brakes have dust shields, remove them for slightly improved cooling. However, you might want to hold onto them because you might be able to use them to route a cooling duct if you end up doing that later.

Whenever you decide to actually upgrade your brake system, use something with vented disc rotors. Way better at staying cool. Don't bother with slotted rotors, and definitely don't waste your time with cross-drilled rotors. Calipers with metal pistons are your friend. Calipers with phenolic (plastic) pistons are your backstabbing friend who turns on you when you need him the most.