101 (edited by chaase 2015-07-08 01:07 PM)

Re: My first Lemons build - What am I screwing up?

Jonathan wrote:

The payout is the agreed value - what's in question is the cost for me to keep the car so I can salvage parts off of it.  The way I understand it, is they give me a check for the agreed value, they haul off the car for salvage.  I want to keep the car for partz.

Sorry. I misread the question. I would think the insurance company has to tell you what it would cost. I would assume if it is totaled that it would be something close to salvage value like the other guy said. If insurance company and adjuster are pointing to each other then yell at the insurance company and tell them to talk to their adjuster and sort it out.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Scrap metal prices are in the Porta-John behind Schnitzer's now, so hopefully you get a Agreed Value - $150 to keep it.

You get a replacement for Thompson yet?

No replacement yet - but I've had a few offers.  I'm still working out logistics of picking the car up.  Hopefully I find out tomorrow when the insurance money is coming and that'll fund the rest of the trip to Thompson. It's getting close!  It's been so busy at work (who says there's a bad economy?) and with classes (midterms for summer session) that I've been swamped otherwise.  I hope to have a clear game plan in place by this weekend. 

I'm also hoping for a sub-$300 buyback number so I can part it out and make some more money back.

104 (edited by chaase 2015-07-09 05:06 AM)

Jonathan wrote:

No replacement yet - but I've had a few offers.  I'm still working out logistics of picking the car up.  Hopefully I find out tomorrow when the insurance money is coming and that'll fund the rest of the trip to Thompson. It's getting close!  It's been so busy at work (who says there's a bad economy?) and with classes (midterms for summer session) that I've been swamped otherwise.  I hope to have a clear game plan in place by this weekend. 

I'm also hoping for a sub-$300 buyback number so I can part it out and make some more money back.

If you are free Sunday morning, we are working on the Saturn for Thompson if you want to come look at the BMW. If getting the car home is a problem we may be able to work something out since you are pretty close to us. You would need to discuss with Manny though since it would involve his truck and trailer.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Ok, a few updates here - the Insurance company said they mailed out a check on Wednesday.  I'm hoping it arrives tomorrow.  IF ALL GOES WELL - that should finance the purchase of another car.  Then it's ordering a bunch of other stuff and hoping it comes in quickly enough (cool shirt and cooler/pump, some driver gear, HANS, etc.). 

I've got a U-haul truck lined up for the day, as well as a trailer.  I shouldn't have a problem of getting the car out there and back. 

A few months ago (before I was hit) I forwarded a letter to my branch manager who forwarded it up the line to corporate to see if they'd be willing to give some sponsorship dollars.  I mentioned it to the branch manager, and he said that corporate thinks it's a good idea - they just have some questions and need to budget the money.  On the good side of things, that means I might have a Fortune 500 company sponsoring my car - free racing would make my wife happier than spending money on racing.  I guess I can even call myself a professional race car driver?  About a year and a half ago I heard mention of a Nascar sponsorship at a national event - I think this'll be much cheaper for them.  It could all fall through, but I'm hopeful!  I was told follow up middle of next week to see if there's an update from the corporate offices.  If this does come through, I'll definitely need to find a car quick!

Glad to hear progress is being made on that front.  Did you call Manny about the belts?

Didn't hear from him yet, but I've been working in my basement/garage - maybe I wasn't able to pick up enough signal to get the call.

Jonathan wrote:

Didn't hear from him yet, but I've been working in my basement/garage - maybe I wasn't able to pick up enough signal to get the call.

He is out of town this weekend so it may have to wait until Monday.