Topic: expected mpg

I am looking at towing a trailer north for a team, and was wondering what sort of mpg I should expect out of my truck.

I will be towing an empty 24 foot enclosed trailer from Douglas, Ga to St Louis area.
My truck is a 98 Dodge 1500 extended cab With the 5.2 magnum, auto trans.

Last year I did the same trip towing anew identical trailer with my wife's 06 Trailblazer ext Wheelbase., 4.2 ltr auto trans. I averaged 10 mpg on that trip, and don't expect my truck will do was well, but feel the truck will pull the trailer better.

Anyone else out there tow with a similar truck?

Thanks

Aaron.

12. Gingerman , Heroic Fix award
10/12 Autobahn, 51st overall.
Team Apocalyptic Racing
1978 Ecotec Celica.

Re: expected mpg

I had a '99 with the 360 in it.  I'd normally get 12 with an empty trailer, 8-10 with a loaded one, at 65mph on flat ground.

Thank god I have a diesel now.  This conversation reminds me of the bad old days.

If it ain't broken, fix it 'til it is.

Cadillac Bob wrote:

I had a '99 with the 360 in it.  I'd normally get 12 with an empty trailer, 8-10 with a loaded one, at 65mph on flat ground.

Thank god I have a diesel now.  This conversation reminds me of the bad old days.

Assuming you tow enough to offset the additional cost of the diesel engine, fuel, and maintenance.

Anyway I have a Ecoboost F150 Supercrew 4x2 towing a steel frame 24' enclosed. Typically get 9.5-10 mpg on flat ground at 70 mph.

Bacon, oh bacon
Bacon, bacon, oh bacon
Love in five letters

Maybe fly in and rent from a Budget and tow home vs driving down and back.

mhrir wrote:
Cadillac Bob wrote:

Assuming you tow enough to offset the additional cost of the diesel engine, fuel, and maintenance.

Anyway I have a Ecoboost F150 Supercrew 4x2 towing a steel frame 24' enclosed. Typically get 9.5-10 mpg on flat ground at 70 mph.

Nah, you don't even have to tow for a diesel to pay for itself, city or highway my Dodge Ram 2500 diesel does a lot better than my brothers Dodge Ram 2500 non diesel, towing or not.  I read somewhere that it takes about 60,000 miles for the diesel to pay for itself, but that was back when I bought my truck 13 years ago.

As for maintenance, what maintenance?  Other than oil changes, I barely touch mine.  Couple that with the longevity of a diesel (Cummins motors are supposed to be good for 500k - 600k miles, as opposed to 200k - 300k for a non diesel), and overall maintenance of a diesel would appear to be a lot less than for a non diesel.  Certainly I'm spending less on wires and spark plugs..

bs

LOL well I suppose you have me there with the spark plugs. wink

The University of Mighigan Transportation Research Institution produced a study "Total Cost of Ownership: A Gas Versus Diesel Comparison" in 2013. In the Total Cost of Ownership section over 5 years 75,000 miles the Big 3 diesel 3/4 ton trucks on average save $510 per year. The Cummins in a new Ram 2500 is $6800 more than the optional 6.4 V8. Based on that it will take 13 years and 195,000 miles to make up the cost of the diesel power train.

Bacon, oh bacon
Bacon, bacon, oh bacon
Love in five letters

You need to factor in residual value, though.

rlchv70 wrote:

Why?

Bacon, oh bacon
Bacon, bacon, oh bacon
Love in five letters

mhrir wrote:
rlchv70 wrote:

Why?

Because?

mhrir wrote:
rlchv70 wrote:

Why?

The study he linked to takes into account depreciation which itself takes into account residual value.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

If my math is off let me know...

I am not saying one is better than the other but it's clear that buying a new diesel is a commitment if it's going to save money. I doubt that most owners ever reach the break even point.

Obviously with used vehicles the total cost of ownership delta is much smaller and therefore the savings will come sooner.

Bacon, oh bacon
Bacon, bacon, oh bacon
Love in five letters

RobL wrote:
mhrir wrote:
rlchv70 wrote:

Why?

The study he linked to takes into account depreciation which itself takes into account residual value.

Sorry, didn't read the article.  Disregard.

mhrir wrote:

LOL well I suppose you have me there with the spark plugs. wink

The University of Mighigan Transportation Research Institution produced a study "Total Cost of Ownership: A Gas Versus Diesel Comparison" in 2013. In the Total Cost of Ownership section over 5 years 75,000 miles the Big 3 diesel 3/4 ton trucks on average save $510 per year. The Cummins in a new Ram 2500 is $6800 more than the optional 6.4 V8. Based on that it will take 13 years and 195,000 miles to make up the cost of the diesel power train.

Interesting, thanks for the pointer!  As I said, my recollection is from 2002, when I bought my truck new.  I think diesel fuel may have been the same, or cheaper, than gas back then.

The good news is according to this report I'm only 75,000 miles from breaking even!

I'm not normally one to question well researched data, but if I go to page 8, and look at the line for the Dodge Ram, I've got to think that data is flawed in some way, either that or the newer Ram diesels really suck the fuel.  14 mpg vs 13 for a gasser?  My '02 gets 20+ on the highway at 70 mph, and I regularly see 14-16 while towing a fully loaded enclosed trailer, less if I'm really flogging it, more if I'm obeying speed limits.  Yeah, if you do the math based on a 1 mpg difference, it could take forever to make up the difference.  My '02 was rated at 17 city and 21 highway (I think), my brothers was rated at maybe 13-14 city and 16-17 highway IIRC.  His mileage plunges more when towing than my diesel does.

Are current diesels really that bad in the mileage dept?  I know I bought mine before the real diesel HP and torque wars seemed to take off (235 hp and 450 ft/lb of torque), but one would think that modern electronics would help alleviate some of that.

bs

I would imagine that all those studies rely on the basis that these are daily use vehicles.  For me personally, I didn't see the point in daily driving a big stinking dizzle truck around just so I had something to tow my LeMon(s).  I was going to buy something for this specific need.  Everyone on here seems to prostrate themselves before the shrine of Rudolf Diesel so when it was time to shop for a hauler I gave serious consideration to a dizzle.  I was looking in the $5k range.  I tried to navigate through the minefield of which dizzle is better than the other.  It seemed like all the "good" dizzle trucks in that price range were beat to shit or already had 300k miles on them.  Or both.  I then started looking at vans because they appeared cheaper.  If the van was white and a diesel, it was beat to crap and was a stripped version.  I ended up buying a V10 XLT E350 15 passenger van for half the amount of the other stuff I was looking at.  All the ones I looked at were pretty well maintained and fairly light use.  Sure, the seats and carpets had small stains and such but that was nothing compared to what I was going to put it through.  He came down to $2500 and I was stuck at $2300.  We flipped a coin to break the stalemate.  My kind of transaction.  Anyway, it has power everything (a lot of the 15 passenger vans seemed to be loaded XLTs)

It's roughly a 1000 mile round trip for me to go to Thunderhill (my farthest race).  If you search for the absolute cheapest fuel at the moment, there is a 40 cent/gal difference between gas and diesel.  The pedovan gets around 11-12mpg towing but lets make it easy and say 10mpg.  Spank's dizzle truck towing is about 5mpg better.  So over the course of a Thunderhill race weekend, it would have been $135 cheaper for me to have a dizzle.  I'll need to do a fair number of Thunderhill races to make up the price difference between a gas and diesel tow vehicle.  Interestingly enough with that example, the gas-diesel break even point is about 4-5 years of racing.  Prior to this latest drop in fuel prices, diesel was more expensive than gas here in CA so the break even point is pushed out waay into the future.  I don't put that many miles on it outside of Lemons.  In general, going for the diesel just didn't pencil out for me and my specific needs.

I have found the van to be far more useful than expected.  All my friends make fun of the pedovan except with it's time for a team drinking event and then it's the go-to vehicle.  With 3 rows of seats out, it still seats 5 and you can fit rolling tooboxes, spare engines and all kinds of crap in the back and be able to leave it most anywhere since it's all locked up inside.  I've fit 14 ft beams inside with the doors closed.  A number of Spanks bad ideas have traveled in there.  The thing has humungo 4 wheel disk brakes and it blows up and down the grapevine at 65mph no sweat.  I give it 2 snaps and a circle.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

15 (edited by fyremanbill 2015-03-19 01:26 PM)

The passenger van is cheaper to register too!  I looked at all the above and settled on the 99 Dodge 2500 quad cab 4x4 diesel.  Why? 
Was able to find a used one in fair condition with 200k miles cheap.
Cheap enough that I don't mind throwing broken concrete in the bed, or squeezing through brush in the dessert.
Diesel engine is fuel efficient enough to drive every day.
Back seat useful enough to put adults in, or store tools/luggage.
6' bed is smaller than I like, but easier to park.
2500, because I've had about 6000 pounds in the bed and it barely compressed the suspension.
4 wheel drive...rarely use it, but when you need it, nothing else will do.
Pulls a 5th wheel trailer about once a year, a 30' Scarab 5-8 times, a few light trailers here and there. 
Still runs like the day I got it with well over 400k now...the truck...not so much. 
Resale is surprisingly good, because everything still works, and a new one is $60k!!!!!

I've just found that there's not enough money to be saved by purchasing, registering, insuring, and maintaining a different vehicle for all occasions.  It's nice to have a jack of all trades, even a noisy, stinky one.

16 (edited by stupid_but_tough 2015-03-20 03:42 AM)

I pretty much agree with Cheseroo. I own a first gen Dodge D-250 Cummins, king cab, 5 speed. Yes, it is a stout vehicle. While the legendary Cummins engine is reported to last forever, it does not have the torque of more modern, very complicated, very expensive diesels. Off the showroom floor, the Cummins 5.9 turbo lays down 400 ft lbs of torque, about the same as a 454 Chevy. My fully loaded 20' enclosed car hauler (7,500#) is all my Dodge can handle. I definitely need to upgrade to dual rear wheels for carrying capacity and safety. I am considering a late 80's Chevy crew cab, dually with a 454. Yes, I know it will burn more of that cheap gas than that expensive diesel, but it won't gel up in the winter, and I can fix it my self - SIMPLE

***Update***
To answer the original question:
8 mpg @65 mph
7 mpg if it's hilly

'ported, relieved, with bored-out arm rests, and oversize seat covers.

Whilst all that is interesting....hows that help me work out how much gas I'm going to use on the trip?

12. Gingerman , Heroic Fix award
10/12 Autobahn, 51st overall.
Team Apocalyptic Racing
1978 Ecotec Celica.

gullzjr wrote:

Whilst all that is interesting....hows that help me work out how much gas I'm going to use on the trip?

8mpg.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

I can only speak of our towing experience. A 7.3 powered 22 passenger "RV" gets 8mpg towing our single car trailer. I feel that you will get more than us.

Planet Express
"IOE" "C Win" 4834.701 Race Miles and counting
Toyocedes
"Least Southern Pickup Truck" "IOE" "C win" "C win (again?)"

Baron wrote:
gullzjr wrote:

8mpg.

I counter with 9 mpg.

Back to the real subject of this post, why did 2-speed rear ends go away.  This seems like a viable solution to the heavy-hauler vs daily(still overbuilt) driver.  Not a great example but my dad's first tow vehicle for work was a 1970's double-cab dually with a 454, Rockwell 3-speed plus granny and a two-speed rear end.  No ideal what the two rear end ratios were but I remember them only being selectable at a stop.  There is no way the truck got better than 10 MPG in high, 3 on a level road at 55 mph but I so can see a modern truck having a 4.10, 3.33 selectable rear end.

No idea what you will get, but when I pulled Cheseroo's SD Rover to Thunderhill with a Nissan Armada 5.6L I got around 14 mpg.  I normally get about 16-18 MPG on the highway.  I drive about 75-80 normally and about 60-65 towing.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

My 2014 FJ Cruiser gets 19mpg HWY normally and 11mpg pulling 5000lb of racecar/trailer/stuff - 4L V6

YMMV, WAC, etc.

Toni

#98 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight - Class A car in the hands of a Class D team - MSR Houston IOE!

That dodge 5.2 can be a thirsty one when you really work it.   If you break 11 mpg, I'd be impressed.

For a similar vintage and power out[put comparison  My 96 chevy tahoe 2-door with a 250hp 5.7 and 3.42 gears used to get 9-10mpg towing my 72 jeep on a 12" landscape trailer

The Roto-Racer '89 Merkur:  If it ain't rusting, It ain't racing.

'14 Real Hoopties of NJ: Judges Choice

TeamRadicus wrote:

My 2014 FJ Cruiser gets 19mpg HWY normally and 11mpg pulling 5000lb of racecar/trailer/stuff - 4L V6

YMMV, WAC, etc.

Toni

I was blown away how easy my buddy's 4.0 liter Nissan pulled the Fuego home on a dolly. Made my decision to buy a V10 F350 look stupid. I like those little pickups, particulary the Tacoma, but damnit there expensive.

Interceptor Motorsports
351w Foxy T-Bird - Class B Winner!, 440 Bluesmobile - Judges Choice, Org Choice & IOE!, Camero, Fuego Turbo - Heroic Fix & IOE!

Aerodynamics seem to be the killer when pulling a big enclosed trailer. 1600 miles round trip to Sears Point. Got a worst tank of 9.8 mpg and a best of 11.4 mpg pulling a big white box behind Mike's 2012 Tundra 5.7. There were many tanks to make that average. Here's the odd bit: Mike reports averaging 10 mpg towing that trailer EMPTY when helping family move.

Adding 4000 lbs of Benz and 500 lbs of gear... Doesn't change the figure. It's all wind resistance driving the number to single digits. I used to think the 7.3 PS F350 we hauled Audi with was out of tune getting 10 mpg. After this year's trip to Sonoma, I don't think so. Expect 8 mpg. That Dodge has to be thirstier than the Tundra...

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)