Topic: This racing thing is expensive

/Rant
I know everyone says how expensive racing is, even at Lemons, but next time I'm going to pick up a hobby like lighting Cuban cigars with $100 bills or something else more cost effective. If only I could be a normal person with normal interests. If only.
/EndRant

Emily's Power for a Cure 1990 Mazda Miata (I Got Screwed 2014 Southern Discomfort)
Help in the fight against Neuroblastoma, a devastating childhood cancer.
http://emilyspowerforacure.com/

Re: This racing thing is expensive

It's a disease, and we've all got it.

If it ain't broken, fix it 'til it is.

3 (edited by VKZ24 2010-01-05 09:17 AM)

The only difference between crack and Lemons is Lemons is legal.  We've all got the same addiction man.  Besides you can't take it with you right?

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

4 (edited by Mulry 2010-01-05 07:57 AM)

One of my teammates made the mistake of telling the truth to his wife about how much this "$500 car" was actually costing him, what with safety equip and gas for the hauler, entry fees, etc. Her response was that it was like he was lighting money on fire.

Does anything else make for such a pretty glow?

Besides, as Peter Egan once said, "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty." He was referring specifically to racing motorcycles, but I think he'd probably recognize that it's hardly different for cars.

In other words, welcome to the club, brother.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Now think about all the amateur racers who don't get to spread their racing costs across a team of 4-6 drivers!

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

Mulry wrote:

One of my teammates made the mistake of telling the truth to his wife about how much this "$500 car" was actually costing him, what with safety equip and gas for the hauler, entry fees, etc. Her response was that it was like he was lighting money on fire.

Racing/cars is one of the reasons my wife and I don't have a joint account.  As long as I have enough to cover my portion of our bills, my racing budget is whatever I have left. smile

As was said earlier, splitting the cost with my other three teammates makes a huge difference.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

I sell blood and take part in medical trials for racing cash... and have shamefully been known to stand on street corners with a voltmeter outside British car shows. Gotta get my racing fix...

My wife now longs for the good old days when I just collected cars like old ladies collect commemorative plates.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

I get my racing money by standing on street corners with a sign that reads, "Will race for food."

You guys have to pay!?!

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

Mulry wrote:

Besides, as Peter Egan once said, "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty." He was referring specifically to racing motorcycles, but I think he'd probably recognize that it's hardly different for cars.

if you build a car that will make a couple races, it actually works out to be pretty cheap...Lemons that is.

I have personally spent over $4k to participate in an AMA pro motorcycle event. Although the difference is, you useda-could make most of that back....but now winning a superbike race only pays about $1500.

As my children are now of an age of "staying at home alone" my wife has entered the work force and replied to me, my feet hurt, I'm tired, I thought I was going to get more in my pay check, ect. She now has a new respect for me and my keeping our lives together on only one income for 18 years. With the 2nd income along with her health insurance I pretty much have a blank check for my addictions. Thank you baby Jesus for a smokin hot wife !! wink

It Ain't My Fault

Never underestimate the power of Mom.

"We're building a car to run in an endurance race."

"That sounds dangerous."

"Yes, but we're allowed to spend as much as we want for safety gear."

[Mom pulls out her checkbook and makes a hefty donation.]

Thanks, Mom!

EriktheAwful wrote:

Never underestimate the power of Mom.

"We're building a car to run in an endurance race."

"That sounds dangerous."

"Yes, but we're allowed to spend as much as we want for safety gear."

[Mom pulls out her checkbook and makes a hefty donation.]

Thanks, Mom!

My folks (I mean Santa Claus) is contributing to the "keep Chris alive if he catches on fire" fund too.

Mulry wrote:

Why would he do something as foolish as that?  All kidding aside, I figure its still cheaper than therapy, and I get a lot happier on it.  But it is an addiction, make no mistake.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

davisriley wrote:
Mulry wrote:

Why would he do something as foolish as that?  All kidding aside, I figure its still cheaper than therapy, and I get a lot happier on it.  But it is an addiction, make no mistake.

QuickBooks 2002 actually came with the expense category,  6215 : Therapy/Personal Health.  if that isn't enough reason to expense this vice i have nothing will ever be a better reason.  smile

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

soldmystang wrote:
davisriley wrote:
Mulry wrote:

QuickBooks 2002 actually came with the expense category,  6215 : Therapy/Personal Health.  if that isn't enough reason to expense this vice i have nothing will ever be a better reason.  smile

If I could just write that off at the end of the year........

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

Three of our drivers own businesses and pay for advertising on our car...

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

there is a reason they call it TRACK CRACK

nuff said

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

trekkor wrote:

Three of our drivers own businesses and pay for advertising on our car...

KT

They should pay for advertising on my car/cars--- guarantee our mini and Citroen get more virtual ink than your Ford. MUCH better visibility for the buck!

wink

--Spank

I chase/build desert race trucks and Lemons is so cheap compared to desert !!!!
Our fiberglass costs $1500 and replaced after every race unless ther is any left on truck.
3-5 MPG on race fuel with 400  -1000 miles races . 

I got one buddy who goes to trackdays in his WRX and hauls ass with  harness and helmet and thats it .

His wife won't let him race Lemons because she thinks Lemons is dangerous !! We got cages . Hello!!
I want to blackmail him to drive my car or will tell his wife .

If I didn't haul other cars to races it would be real hard to race especially with the economy .

Separate accounts is the only way if you want to race !!

And never tell the wife what it costs .Unless is safety then they usually think that is worth especially with a life insurance increase.

YOUR A LEMON HEROINE ADDICT there is all sorts of Chumpcar races to get fix.

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

Actually there really is a way to make a small fortune at Lemons racing - start with a bigger one.

There is a guy charging $5000 for a rental lemon /chumpcar

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

That is for 3 races I believe, or about $1,650 per race, still steep IMHO,

ifb_mole wrote:

a team of 4 pays just north of $400 each per weekend, shows up with their own gear, never has to touch the car prior to the race and that is steep?  you're as stupid as advertised.

ifb_mole wrote:

No, it is $5500 and  that is for one race. But still take the $5500 and split it 4-6 ways and its not bad. You didn't have to build a car, get tires on it,  get it to the track and then figure out where to store it between races. Plus not everybody knows or should be working on these cars. Let's face it we all know somebody who is alot safer polishing the car than changing the brake pads.

Wes Conklin
Team California Mille
2007 Eyetalian Class Champions
20+ races and still going strong, Finally won one. Pacific Northworst Winner 2012.