Re: This racing thing is expensive

I know of teams charging $1300 per seat, per race.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

trekkor wrote:

KT

WHAT?!?!? Pfffftttt!!! Are you SH@#$%NG me? One of our prospective drivers balked at $650!

Of course, you do get what you pay for...

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

"Sparky" Pete wrote:

One of our prospective drivers balked at $650!

Perhaps you shouldn't start your sales pitch with that avatar photo.  Save it for somewhere in the middle.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

"Sparky" Pete wrote:
trekkor wrote:

KT

WHAT?!?!? Pfffftttt!!! Are you SH@#$%NG me? One of our prospective drivers balked at $650!

Your car has a history of bad things happening to it, so you have to sell the car and seat together which isn't worth as much. Now if you only charged for the seat like the other team, you might get some takers. big_smile

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

Our Kirky Racing seat cost $380.00 and we charge people $500 to $600 to sit in it.:D

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

31 (edited by KREaton 2010-01-07 12:25 PM)

I am completely new to Lemons and have found the initial investment to be expensive. My first race will be at CMP with the topgear team. I guess I am lucky that the team leader already purchased the car, and safety equipment for the car (cage, seat...) , but buying all of the personal safety equipment is not cheap, and then entry fees, splitting gas etc.

If you are used to racing in NASA or other organizations you may be used to far greater expenses and Lemons is a deal to you, but to others on a stiffer budget I can see where it could be seen as expensive.

any form of motorsports is a relatively spendy hobby, especially if you want to be competitive.  even "cheap" racing is a hell of a lot more expensive than bird-watching.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

trekkor wrote:

KT

Depending on the car...this is reasonable....if you are racing an old school american iron with a (cheater) V8 that needs 100 octane....you could spend $1500 on fuel....easy...$7.80 per gallon adds up QUICK...

Even running our kinda fuel efficient V8 at 10 gallons an hour....we still spent $740 in gas for 91 octane @ $4.40 a gallon 

Serious race machines can burn 20 gallons an hour easy

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

We ran from a starting of $500, to $600 (w/ 6 drivers), and still have about $400 in  unpaid expenses that I'll have to mix into the budget of this year.

Even with a caged and running car that could go out and run again with some rod bearings, I'm changing to a larger engine, adding a supercharger, changing some suspension bushings, tires, and maybe a brake upgrade. Won't be any cheaper probably, evil if Jay lets me put a standalone ECU on the car.

Team Dai Hard Home Page

1989 Daihatsu Charade

I believe in something that I call rationaliztion accounting.  Here are some examples.

1. Racing is much cheaper than boating, any time I think I am paying to much for my hobbies I ask some poor slob with a boat what he has spent lately.  I look like I have taken vow of frugality compared to them.

2. I don't usually buy new cars. When you drive off the lot you loose 5k therefore I just saved 5k.  I can now spend that. 

3. I don't have a car payment right now.  Most everybody else does and all that payment does every month is pay the depreciation. That payment I am not making paid for my new helmet, nomex undies and race suit this month.

4. RACING IS MUCH CHEAPER THAN A GIRLFRIEND  especially if you have a wife.

I want to live or die trying.

I ran SCCA & IMSA for 15 years plus several seasons of pro-rally. When I finally married and moved into a new a house I showed my wife a stack of finish results sheets from all the races I had run telling her 'honey, if I didn't have this stack of papers we could have paid cash for the house".

She asked 'did you have fun?' .... I knew I married the right girl.

She has no complaints about Lemons. It's only once or twice per year and WAY cheaper than any other form of car silliness that I've engaged in.

Remember, it's never too early to start embellishing the past.

"so there I was, 90mph, sideways on the brink of death ..."

A year and a half ago I had the opportunity to buy an '06 Mustang GT for significantly less than what it was worth. I decided not to buy it because it was going to really tighten up our family budget. My wife told me to buy it. She's wonderful and I let her drive it on occasion.

mharrell wrote:
"Sparky" Pete wrote:

Perhaps you shouldn't start your sales pitch with that avatar photo.  Save it for somewhere in the middle.

or leave the photo in and charge some extra for flight training ............

spectator "Lamest Day 09",DNF "American Irony" 2010,DNS "Capitol Offense"2010,DNF "Gingervitis"2011,DNF"ShowroomShlock"2011 maybe someday....                                                                                     
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"luckily I didnt go into the mountain,.......I went over the cliff. I was doin 300 MPH sideways and 100 ft. down at the same time............"

prime suspect wrote:
mharrell wrote:
"Sparky" Pete wrote:

or leave the photo in and charge some extra for flight training ............

From where I sit, the avatar is a good thing...If you're not upside down, you're not trying hard enough...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

KREaton wrote:

I am completely new to Lemons and have found the initial investment to be expensive. My first race will be at CMP with the topgear team..

How did you happen to get the TOPGEAR  from england the hate the USA?

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

41 (edited by pinkshinyalan 2010-01-19 07:43 PM)

Maybe you guys have heard this one; I read it a few years ago:

"A race car is a very efficient machine for turning money into noise."

big_smile

Wow, first Lemons race cost us (5 guys) $922 ea. May have to find an alternative to pulling the car with a motorhome that gets 5 miles per gallon! Also, figured to lower costs on next race but now we're gonna need head resurfaced, head gasket, clutch, radiator and maybe a tranny! YIKES!

We've gotten in down to about $450-500 ea. per race, but we've been doing this for a while and have plenty of 'sunk' costs that we have amortized over the last 3 years...

This time it is only a water pump and a u-pull axle shaft, the less-contact rules have considerably lowered our body shop frame rack bills!

If I was going to offer a seat, it would be $6-700 depending on what the potential driver brought to the team. But yeah, racing is expensive- we've turned $25k+ into noise and rubber dust over the last 3 years, along with hundreds of man-hours of 'yeah, bring the welder and some pop rivets.'

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 143 races and counting.
2/25/24

I have two Spec pinata guys on my team, and they think that Lemons is the bargain of the century. We're not exactly money wasters, but we each had about $1200 into the initial build and personal safety gear. We'll start the amortization this year, and the per-race cost comes down as you go.

I think $1200 to own a share of a car and get to race is pretty freaking awesome.

Captainess: #88 Scirocket Racing - Did someone say Pikachu?

Another way to get the wife to stop complaining about racing: addict the wife to racing.  That's why my husband did - smart dude.  Now I'm the one that gets pissed when miss opportunities to race.  For example:

Me - "What do you mean we're missing the Dallas race?  I heard that track was epic, damn it!"

Husband - "We already have plans."

Me - "What, is your mother coming to town?  Can't we just... stuff her in a hotel somewhere?"

Husband - "No, we're missing it because I'm taking you to France to see the *real* 24 hours of LeMans!"

Me - "You are the best. husband. ever."

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

I'm in need of an independently wealthy mistress who sees no greater excitement than road-racing a TON of different types of cars, and also happens to find me completely endearing. You got a clone or something somewhere doctawife? smile

47 (edited by doctawife 2010-02-16 01:09 AM)

Serj wrote:

I'm in need of an independently wealthy mistress who sees no greater excitement than road-racing a TON of different types of cars, and also happens to find me completely endearing. You got a clone or something somewhere doctawife? smile

No clones... And I hate to break it to you Serj, usually with mistresses *you* pay *them*.  What you mean to say is, "I need to become a boytoy to an independently wealthy woman who..."  wink

Tonight one of my residents asked me how much I thought we had spent over the last two years of racing.  By the time I got through one year of math, I quit.  Putting an aggrigate number to this sport sucks the fun away.

So I refuse.  Take that, fiscal responsibility!  I poop on you!

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

Hey Doc, what's this "aggrigate" you speak of ? Btw, if anything ever happens to your hubby....:)

doctawife wrote:

Tonight one of my residents asked me how much I thought we had spent over the last two years of racing.  By the time I got through one year of math, I quit.  Putting an aggrigate number to this sport sucks the fun away.

So I refuse.  Take that, fiscal responsibility!  I poop on you!

LOL, I give my enduring spouse a number at the beginning of the year, and then we just deal with it. I've never been the financial brains of the operation at home, I just make the money. It's kind of funny that it took me so long to find an efficient way of spending it!

Captainess: #88 Scirocket Racing - Did someone say Pikachu?

doctawife wrote:

Another way to get the wife to stop complaining about racing: addict the wife to racing.

tried that...didn't take.  but she lets me do what i do, which is a win in my book.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11