Topic: Best way to scrap shells (in CA)

It's been a while, so I figured I'd hit up the Lemons crowd for suggestions.

In the past, I've donated complete vehicles (with powertrains) but scrappers are hesitant to take vehicles without engines/transmissions.  I cut up one car - never doing that again.

What do yall do once you've gutted your cars?

Re: Best way to scrap shells (in CA)

On the top of the page is a search option.  If you use it you will find this thread from last month.

http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewt … p?id=29786

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

Well depending on where you are at, there may be a place similar to Sims Metal recycling. I think they will take it if its clean steel, but greater than 500#. So you put the car on a trailer (No tires), roll through and get your rig weighed, move over to the off loading area, dump it, drive back and get weighed again and get your few $/100lbs.

or you do the same at PnP, just at midnight and you get $0.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

If you don't care about getting any $ out of it, I'd highly suggest you just post it on craigslist under the Free section, with a picture, and list it as scrap metal / car body and let somebody else come grab it. There are those who have relationships with different scrappers who can get away with turning them in for money. Then there's people like me-- who spend more money in fuel hauling it to a recycling yard (I even had a title!) than I got in cash scrap value.

I once cut up a vw rabbit body and brought it in as scrap metal. They took it, but I got less than $10 for it. I spent more in cutoff wheels cutting it into manageable pieces.

Thanks Spank,  I'm in the same boat.  Last time I did this; between the burnt out sawzall, blades, trailer, and lunch I bought a friend to help me unload it, it was a wasted day.

I used a Sawsall & cut the Lancia into 8 pieces, plus the 4 doors & the trunk lid. I then left it out in front of the shop & the next morning it was gone. The Scrap metal elves came in the night & took it away.

Tired Iron Racing, Class A Winner of 2023 Days of Thunder & the Hooptie-Con Engine heat Cooking Competition, otherwise just a 50x loser, which is somehow able to finish in the top ten, if we don't step on our own dicks.