Topic: New Pathfinder for tow vehicle?

The lease is up on my much loved Kia Sportage and I've decided to spring for something that can tow. Anyone driving and towing with a late model Pathfinder? Amongst the mid-size SUV's it has pretty amazing tow capacity (7000 lbs).

Things to know:

Our car/trailer combo weight is 3280 lb (when connected to hitch..so it may be a little more)
We tend to drive 6+ hours for all of our races and I'd like to pile all 4 of us in one vehicle that can handle 4 200+ lb guys, gear and towing.
I don't want a Tahoe, Durango, Exhibition, etc
I am an urban driver who hits 10k/year on a heavy year so gas mileage, city parking, size, etc are priorities
Bluetooth- i Love the bluetooth in my Kia. Anyone have experience with and love/hate the Pathfinder Bluetooth call/phonebook/music/siri functionally?

Thanks for your thoughts

organizer's choice 2011 Can't Git Bayou
judge's choice 2014 'Shine Country Classic
actually started AND finished a race 2014 Gator-O-Rama

Re: New Pathfinder for tow vehicle?

First question, where are you getting the towing capacity? The most recent version of it has a 5000 lb capacity according to the nissan website and edmunds: http://www.edmunds.com/nissan/pathfinde … mp;sub=suv It does say may require special equipment, which may be a weight distributing hitch FYI.

That is fine, since you say your trailer weights 3280. If we assume you had the high end of the recomended tongue weight (15%), that puts the total weight at  3858. Still within your tow capacity. that puts tongue weight at 580. Pretty dam close to the 600lb hitch rating... not so good

Then you have 4 200 lb guys, so there is 800, plus lests say 200lb of gear. total is now 1000 lbs. then you add the tongue weight in, and you are at 1580 lbs of load on the suspension. Your maximum payload is 1500 lbs...

Probably not the best vehicle to use if you are gonna put 4 guys in there. if it was 1 or two people you could probably get away with it.

gotta run but that should get you started.

The Cosmonaughts - 86/88 MR2 with 1MZ V6

like this year's model, or the truck-based one thru 2012 or so?

Truck= go for it
New style= HELL NO

These have chronic CVT Trans issues hauling themselves around, trailering isn't something I'd try even with a rented one. You probably won't get there.

Next door neighbor has a 2014, I've driven a couple of them... I could expound but basically its a great ride for people who like to compromise. Life is about compromise, sometimes, but the Pathfinder isn't GOOD at anything in particular yet sells like hot cakes.

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

Type44 wrote:

like this year's model, or the truck-based one thru 2012 or so?

Truck= go for it
New style= HELL NO

These have chronic CVT Trans issues hauling themselves around, trailering isn't something I'd try even with a rented one. You probably won't get there.

Next door neighbor has a 2014, I've driven a couple of them... I could expound but basically its a great ride for people who like to compromise. Life is about compromise, sometimes, but the Pathfinder isn't GOOD at anything in particular yet sells like hot cakes.

I wasn't aware of the CVT issues. I'll research.

Talking about current year model and lease so i don't care about the CVT issues unless they rear their heads in 3 years of ownership with occasional towing.

cpl rampage wrote:

First question, where are you getting the towing capacity? The most recent version of it has a 5000 lb capacity according to the nissan website and edmunds: http://www.edmunds.com/nissan/pathfinde … mp;sub=suv It does say may require special equipment, which may be a weight distributing hitch FYI.

That is fine, since you say your trailer weights 3280. If we assume you had the high end of the recomended tongue weight (15%), that puts the total weight at  3858. Still within your tow capacity. that puts tongue weight at 580. Pretty dam close to the 600lb hitch rating... not so good

Then you have 4 200 lb guys, so there is 800, plus lests say 200lb of gear. total is now 1000 lbs. then you add the tongue weight in, and you are at 1580 lbs of load on the suspension. Your maximum payload is 1500 lbs...

Probably not the best vehicle to use if you are gonna put 4 guys in there. if it was 1 or two people you could probably get away with it.

gotta run but that should get you started.

Wow. I must've dreamed that 7k number. Thanks for the breakdown. This really helps. I really don't want to buy a truck or a huge SUV but damn, this is really tight on the numbers.

badm0j0 wrote:

Wow. I must've dreamed that 7k number. Thanks for the breakdown. This really helps. I really don't want to buy a truck or a huge SUV but damn, this is really tight on the numbers.

Yeah, you are gonna have a hard time getting what you want. Even the new chevy colorado crew cab, which has a 7000 lb tow capacity depenting on how it is configured will still have a hard time with the weight capacity. Its capacity is 1590. still pretty close but atleast the truck has more power and better designed for that weight. It is also only 15" longer (with the 5'2" bed) than a pathfinder. Hopefully people have some othe suggesstions.

Within three years? How about this: IF you have to tow that load 500 miles, I think you had better put plates on your race car if you want to make it home. You might want to put a hitch on the racer if you want to make it home with the Pathfinder. Is that clear enough?

Seriously, I like the odds better using a Cavalier as a tow pig. You're asking about a vehicle with the most marginal driveline on the market IMO.

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

8 (edited by OnkelUdo 2015-05-08 11:29 AM)

Xterra?  It is only rated at 5000#'s but of all the midsized SUV's it is the only one left I would realistically trust to tow a car with four full-sized humans on board.  the trade-off is full-sized SUV fuel mileage and less-than-stellar stellar road manners.  It is still based off the Frontier pick-up so it is also very out of date.

Edit:  Just looked it up and if you get an S, 2wd model they only run about $25K (Edmunds TMV, not list) and they are rated at 16/22 mpg so not quite as bad as I remember.

OnkelUdo wrote:

Xterra?  It is only rated at 5000#'s but of all the midsized SUV's it is the only one left I would realistically trust to tow a car with four full-sized humans on board.  the trade-off is full-sized SUV fuel mileage and less-than-stellar stellar road manners.  It is still based off the Frontier pick-up so it is also very out of date.

Edit:  Just looked it up and if you get an S, 2wd model they only run about $25K (Edmunds TMV, not list) and they are rated at 16/22 mpg so not quite as bad as I remember.

You would think the xterra would be better for towing, and while it has a solid rear axel and 5k tow capacity, the weight capacity is abismal at 1058 lbs...  http://www.autobytel.com/nissan/xterra/ … fications/ Gonna be an issue with 4 guys in there.

Just for reference. I just got an 05 Silverado Crew cab for the same reason. Take all 4 guys if need be, carry our gear, and trailer. My tow capacity is 7000 lbs, and my payload capacity is 1836 lbs. Obviously a much bigger vehicle, parking and milage are not as critical for me since my commute is short and I have a driveway.

cpl rampage wrote:

Car ratings these days are sooooo conservative. Blame it on the lawyers. I'd run any of my modern vehicles with trailer weights and tongue weights right at or slightly above the limits.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

mackwagon wrote:

Car ratings these days are sooooo conservative.

This is one reason it's best to stick with a tow vehicle that's several decades old.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Midsize SUVs these days are all unibody.  I think the last full-frame midsize SUVs were the Trailblazer/Envoy/Rainier/9-7 which were discontinued in 2008.  They'd probably get you what you need, towing-wise, but you'd have to go aftermarket for any decent Bluetooth capability.

Team Fairlylame
HumidiTT '14 IOE Winner

ballpeen wrote:

Midsize SUVs these days are all unibody.  I think the last full-frame midsize SUVs were the Trailblazer/Envoy/Rainier/9-7 which were discontinued in 2008.  They'd probably get you what you need, towing-wise, but you'd have to go aftermarket for any decent Bluetooth capability.

Except the Xterra I mentioned...it is an anomaly unless you consider the 4-door Wrangle mid-sized.

So it looks like a Durango may be the "smallest" option I have with the features I want. Anyone have experience with the current gen Durango?

badm0j0 wrote:

So it looks like a Durango may be the "smallest" option I have with the features I want. Anyone have experience with the current gen Durango?

Basically a Grand Cherokee in a different suit of clothes.

I have to be the "voice of reason" here for a second...

Although I am all for buying a cool vehicles, how much do you tow? 

Renting a 4-door full-sized pick-up from Enterprise Local Edition with a 7500 GTW class 3 hitch is $90 a day all in (local prices may vary) unlimited mileage.  Assuming three races a year and 4-days rental per race, that is $1080 a year in rental.  Compare that to the additional payment for a compromise vehicle or the cost of driving a second vehicle to the track each time.

Using a CUV or minivan that can tow 5000 #'s to tow the car and having all the other folks drive the track in a second vehicle is an alternative.  The main downside on that one is having to either use the trailer to haul the fuel jugs to and from the gas station or carry them inside a vehicle.

Finally, even if you cannot park it at your place, a $2-3K late 1990's v8 pickup can meet all your towing needs and cost MAYBE an extra $180 a year to add to your insurance.  Unless the registration fees or smog ordinances in your area are outrageous, your only real issue is parking.

OK, speech over.

OnkelUdo wrote:
badm0j0 wrote:

Renting a 4-door full-sized pick-up from Enterprise Local Edition with a 7500 GTW class 3 hitch is $90 a day all in (local prices may vary) unlimited mileage.  Assuming three races a year and 4-days rental per race, that is $1080 a year in rental.  Compare that to the additional payment for a compromise vehicle or the cost of driving a second vehicle to the track each time.

Using a CUV or minivan that can tow 5000 #'s to tow the car and having all the other folks drive the track in a second vehicle is an alternative.  The main downside on that one is having to either use the trailer to haul the fuel jugs to and from the gas station or carry them inside a vehicle.

Finally, even if you cannot park it at your place, a $2-3K late 1990's v8 pickup can meet all your towing needs and cost MAYBE an extra $180 a year to add to your insurance.  Unless the registration fees or smog ordinances in your area are outrageous, your only real issue is parking.

OK, speech over.

The above is something to seriously consider. I think since parking seems to be an talking point, the third option while being a cheap option probably wouldn't work.

the second option seems like a good call, easier to park and better on gas depending on what you get. But the real winner IMO is the first option, unless you need a truck all the time, why not just rent? You could get a gas sipping sedan and rent the truck to tow when you need it. then you can bring all your tools, fluids and spare tires in the truck if need be.

Just need to echo the statements here regarding the Pathfinder.  The larger Armada could just about do the job, but the pathfinder is far more of a jacked up station wagon than a truck of any sort.

Now as for a $2-3k pickup I haven't had the best luck there either, In that range be very very very critical, the older ones rot like no tomorrow, and with that low of a price you may be looking at one that had a lot of mileage or was used to tow a boat.  My last one was a boat tower, the front of the frame was fine, the back was rotting away (worse than I thought... which is why I stupidly bought and then immediately regretted it).

The whole truck rental idea IMO could be your best bet, vs keeping a truck around and insurance/maintenance/etc.  Unless you can find a use for a pickup, I never had one until I got one for Lemons towing and now I don't how I lived without it.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

RogueLeader wrote:

Now as for a $2-3k pickup I haven't had the best luck there either, In that range be very very very critical, the older ones rot like no tomorrow, and with that low of a price you may be looking at one that had a lot of mileage or was used to tow a boat.  My last one was a boat tower, the front of the frame was fine, the back was rotting away (worse than I thought... which is why I stupidly bought and then immediately regretted it).

Unless you can find a use for a pickup, I never had one until I got one for Lemons towing and now I don't how I lived without it.

Tinworm in New Orleans is still real thing but nothing like what you get NY or get in NWI.  A 1990's truck from Texas or 50 miles further inland in LA is unlikely to have any structural rust at all and might still have its original cab corners (or is a Dodge, lower doors, wheel arches, etc).

Also, since he is in close proximity to the Lone Star State, unless things have changed in the last 7 years, Municipal, State and County auctions regularly have nice quad cab, long bed, 3/4 ton trucks with high miles but exceptional fleet maintenance in the 2-4K range every year.

Either way, I still see renting as a much cheaper option.  You just have to reserve the truck a couple weeks ahead AND double-check with them the day before.

OnkelUdo wrote:
RogueLeader wrote:

Unless you can find a use for a pickup, I never had one until I got one for Lemons towing and now I don't how I lived without it.

Tinworm in New Orleans is still real thing but nothing like what you get NY or get in NWI.  A 1990's truck from Texas or 50 miles further inland in LA is unlikely to have any structural rust at all and might still have its original cab corners (or is a Dodge, lower doors, wheel arches, etc).

Also, since he is in close proximity to the Lone Star State, unless things have changed in the last 7 years, Municipal, State and County auctions regularly have nice quad cab, long bed, 3/4 ton trucks with high miles but exceptional fleet maintenance in the 2-4K range every year.

Either way, I still see renting as a much cheaper option.  You just have to reserve the truck a couple weeks ahead AND double-check with them the day before.

Yeah I always forget folks don't live in the land of rot like I do.  I considered going south for my truck, but ultimately for a little more money and less time (after costs of getting there, getting it back etc) I could just get a nicer truck up here.

OnkelUdo wrote:
badm0j0 wrote:

OK, speech over.

Enterprise now makes you sign a disclaimer that you're not going to leave town with the vehicle and tow long distance hauls. I don't want to be on the hook for this should something happen. I'm not sure if this is the case everywhere but it certainly is the case in New Orleans

badm0j0 wrote:

Enterprise now makes you sign a disclaimer that you're not going to leave town with the vehicle and tow long distance hauls. I don't want to be on the hook for this should something happen. I'm not sure if this is the case everywhere but it certainly is the case in New Orleans

Yeah Enterprise isn't the way to go for this, but Uhaul has various trucks you can do it with, including pickups.

or Budget.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

badm0j0 wrote:

My how things change...I put about 2000 miles on a cargo van from them once in a 4 day period.  I may be the one to blame if that is a change in nationwide policy. 

Of course U-Haul was particularly impressed with me when I showed up in an Enterprise van to pick up their second largest enclosed trailer.  When asked why I had a simple answer "unlimited miles" because their extended cargo van would have cost me $220 just in miles.

Jeep Grand Cherokee was already mentioned.  5000 rating with the v6/ tow package, up to 8000 w/ the diesel.

We have one as our family wagon, and it gets great mileage (pre 8 speed, which gets better) 290 HP V6, 25 ish highway mpg, if you keep it under 75.

Or you could go Hemi!!!

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Just drop $10k on a beatass old 3/4 ton diesel. Or way less money on a beatass old 3/4 or 1-ton with a gasoline motor.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear