Topic: Our build

Here is our new build..
I started in my yard in the fall and a friend is letting me use his shop this winter.
I owe him big time!!!!!
We are dropping driver floor about 3 inches and patching passenger floor, pulled dash, wiring, ect.
This is almost like work if it wasn't so much fun, and knowing you actually will get to race car.

Bender came in this week ordering dies next week and then tubing. $$$$$$$

Hope to start cage in a couple of weeks.

http://s975.photobucket.com/albums/ae23 … n%20Build/

250 GTO

Re: Our build

Not the worst looking 240 I've seen.  What area are you from?  If you need any tech info tuning advice, or parts, give Troy or me a shout.  We have both been building Z cars for years.

BTW, why are you dropping the floor, for headroom?  If you just cut out the seat crossmember, you can lower the seat plenty.  The floor is already so low, that you might want to rethink losing any more ground clearance.  Let me know if you want pics of my cage.  If came out great.  We did not lower the seat though, so we sit higher than I'd like.  We will probably fix that this spring.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Welcome to Lemons and another hopeless Z car build.  I am helping yet another delusional friend build a Lemons Z.  I am not sure which addiction is worse, Lemons, Zs or Zs in Lemons.  A few more years of this and they will have to make a special hospital for all us nut jobZ.

My car has less the 4" of ground clearance as it is.  We have bottomed out the frame rails and been pretty hard on the exhaust. 

Our short tires lower the car about an additional inch.  If you drop the floor 3" I don't think you will clear much of anything.  That will also affect the frame rails and overall strength and integrity of the car.  In my opinion, this is a bad idea.

I replaced my floor pans and installed seat rails out of 1.5" angle iron.  We run a Kirkey seat on modified OE sliders and I am thinking our butts are about 2.5" off the floor.  I've had plenty of 6'2"ish drivers.

My friends car with a Corbeau seat puts the driver higher up which is not as easy on the tall guys.

Get a seat and see how it works in the car before you start dropping the floor.

I replaced the floor first.  Then we stuck the initial seat in the car and played with pieces of wood to get the seat height and angle.

We upgraded to the Kirkey seats for the second race.  At that point I tried to put rails as close to the floor as possible while keeping everything inside the car.  While there is some height and tilt adjustability in the arrangement, we have it as low as it will go.  We made a booster for short drivers.

Something else to consider is a Hans recommends a 20 degree layback.  Without a Hans, it's typically a comfortable angle too.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

4 (edited by f1race79 2010-01-08 01:09 PM)

We had to replace floor and frame rail anyway and with the Corbeau seat that a friend donated I was hitting the top with helmet. I am 6' 2" with all of it in the body. We are running sliders for the short drivers also.
Just hopefully there won't be any speed bumps where we race!!!!
Yes,  I would like to see cage placements/pics.
My email: millerjulius at hotmail dot com

Troy and Jeff have been helping with problems to look for..

I was orginally going to build a slick top 280ZX but couldn't find one in the price range.
Yes I am a Z addict....

250 GTO

I am in the same boat being 6'-1" and very tall from the waist up.  Our drivers ranged from 5'-8" to 6'-3" and so we mounted our Sparco seat on the stock Z sliders.  We sit higher than I'd like, but there is lots of room to drop the seat if we cut the cross rail out.  We did not need to run a seat back brace as we were within about 4-1/2" of the cage cross bar even with the shortest driver.

You will want to gut the driver's door and run NASCAR bars.  We had plenty of elbow and shoulder room this way.  We planned on using a quick disconnect steering wheel, but we didn't want to add another $150 - $200 to the budget to get the splined quick release and a new wheel.  We added a slip-on steering wheel cover and then sewed a Nissan OEM leather wrap over the cheap-o cover.  It made for a nice, thick wheel with the right dish.  We had no problem getting in and out with the fixed wheel, but it would have been easier with a quick release.

I will send pics of our cage tonight.

I'm not sure what your Z experience is, so feel free to email me with questions.  Chances are very good that you need to do a lot of work to the fuel tank, vapor tank, and hoses to make them clean and safe.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

What kind of bender did you get?  I worry every time someone says the bought a bender because its usually one of the "pipe crushers" which wont make a bend that passes tech.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

JThw8 wrote:

What kind of bender did you get?  I worry every time someone says the bought a bender because its usually one of the "pipe crushers" which wont make a bend that passes tech.

Yeah, the Chinese pipe benders are a mess. They can be made to work by modifying the follower rollers (adding half-pipe "shoes")  and fettling the dies. Then you have to pack the tube with wet sand and tape off the ends. Seems hardly worth it...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Z = zero

welcome to the asylum......

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

JThw8 wrote:

We bought the JD2 Model 3.
Suppose to be a good bender??

250 GTO

The JD2 benders are good. The Pro-Tools ones are too, they're basically carbon copies of one another. The crap ones from Harbor Freight are the kind he was talking about. Learned that one the hard way.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.