Topic: Crankcase oil catch can: fact or fiction?

Opinions and personal experiences?
Currently my Prelude just has a tube from the crank case to the air intake (no PCV), and we noticed some oil goop on the inside of my fancy ass cold air intake...is that bad, or will it just get burned off once inside the intake manifold?
1) If these oil can things are so important, why doesn't every car sold have them?  They are a cheap addition and you would think all car manufacturers would have them.(and I don't believe in any conspiracy theories...). Or are they only important in us fancy ass race-car-driver types who drive at full throttle often?
2) Anyways, I got one as a gift, so I am going to install it: so should I vent the exhaust from the can it into my "awesome", red colored cold air intake, or should I just leave it out in the open, or vent it into the exhaust, or should I route it to make a "road draft tube" to create some negative pressure (suction)?  To me, it does not make sense to route it into my cold air intake and have my car breathe in its own flatulence....! Yuk!  Seems to defeat the purpose of a cold air intake....
Cheers!
ZZZZZZZZZZZZ

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022

Re: Crankcase oil catch can: fact or fiction?

I have some experience with the engineering behind crankcase ventilation, but it was with Diesel engines, so...

1). Cars do not have catch cans because of the maintenance required. You gave to empty them out periodically.  Also, the amount of oil consumed is minuscule for daily driven cars. Race cars at full throttle and cars with worn out rings may produce more oil, so a catch can MAY be useful. However, I suspect that in most cases you will never notice a difference. The supposed advantages include less oil deposits in the intake and valves and combustion chamber, less oil consumption (if you dump the catch can back into the crankcase), and longer catalytic converter life.  It takes thousands of miles to make a difference, so I'm not sure they are actually worth it.

2). Route it into the intake. There are two reasons OEMs do this. The first is for emissions so that the blow-by gases do not escape. A second reason is that it regulates crankcase pressure. The piston rings require a certain pressure differential to work properly. If the crankcase is over pressurized, oil consumption will increase, kinda defeating the purpose.  Do not vent to the exhaust. That will definitely cause over pressurization, unless you properly design for a Venturi effect. Routing to the intake is fine, the amount of blow-by is small compared to the air normally going into the engine.

Our crankcase vent is connected directly to the bottom of our air cleaner  of our '75 civic.  We added a catch can after a test and tune where great globs of oil were being sucked into the carb.  We had just added a deep sump oil pan, and the oil may have been a little overfull.  It seemed like hard corners in one direction would keep from draining out of the head and then get sucked into the carburetor.

The Civics of that vintage don't have a straight vent to the air cleaner.  That bulge on the air cleaner is meant to separate oil from the blow by gases.  Check that all the gaskets in there are intact and the separation chambers are clean - that might stop some of the oil consumption.

75Civic wrote:

Our crankcase vent is connected directly to the bottom of our air cleaner  of our '75 civic.  We added a catch can after a test and tune where great globs of oil were being sucked into the carb.  We had just added a deep sump oil pan, and the oil may have been a little overfull.  It seemed like hard corners in one direction would keep from draining out of the head and then get sucked into the carburetor.

Great Globs Of Oil sounds like a good Lemons team name

Interceptor Motorsports
351w Foxy T-Bird - Class B Winner!, 440 Bluesmobile - Judges Choice, Org Choice & IOE!, Camero, Fuego Turbo - Heroic Fix & IOE!

Jonathan wrote:

The Civics of that vintage don't have a straight vent to the air cleaner.  That bulge on the air cleaner is meant to separate oil from the blow by gases.  Check that all the gaskets in there are intact and the separation chambers are clean - that might stop some of the oil consumption.

Yea, stock air cleaners have the little catch thing that includes a vacuum line from the manifold itself to provide negative pressure all the time.   Keep meaning to see if I can rig up something similar.  We haven't had any specific crankcase pressure issues like weeping main seals.

From what I've read from those who used to race 1200s many years ago, don't mess with the stock system.  I'll see if I can look through some of my old manuals to see if I can scrounge up a flow diagram for that engine - but it might be for the 1500 CVCC motor.  I'll let you know if I find something.  I've almost got my Civic dug out of the garage for the first time in nearly two years.  I've pretty much been out of early Civics since I had kids.

Nice advice, richv70 (and others)...thanks....I am off to Lowes for all the car parts I need for the installation....

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022

Our saturn pushed over an a bunch of oil in our original cold air filter to the point it leaked oil out of the filter.  We installed a mason jar with two pieces of 3/8 fuel line and typically collect about 10 Oz in 14 hours.

#124 Product Design Saturn SL2

Just a FYI, a mason jar is a really bad idea. It could do is job well but it's glass. Consider it breaking when say someone else's hooptie crashes into yours and dumpins 10oz of oil on your hot exhaust. Bad bad news. Glass has no place holding flammable liquids in a race car (fuel filters, oil catch, etc.) Imho.

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?

jrbe wrote:

Glass has no place holding flammable liquids in a race car, EVER! Now, a Molotov Cocktail is a different story.

FTFY

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

This is what we use, though admittedly it is a bit oversized. The 16oz size didn't look big enough.

http://www.rei.com/product/852355/rei-n … e-32-fl-oz

^Nalgene bottles are a great solution.  Oil safe, autoclave safe (high temp), cheap, and easy to empty.  Stuff it with stainless dish scrubbers for maximum effect

We use one like this.  I chose a square sided bottle because it was easier to drill/install barbed fittings to the flat surface

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NALGENE-TRANSPA … 2a4e22dec2

14 (edited by Omnilith 2015-06-03 03:59 PM)

We use an aluminum water bottle.... which is handy because you can mount it in this for easy empty/service:

http://www.globalbikesonline.com/catalog/images/handle%20bar%20mount%20water%20bottle%20holder.jpg

Lorin Mueller
Scuderia Asino formerly Team Haulin' Ass - 83 Plymouth Scamp
Team Soccer Moms - 93 Dodge Caravan

Omnilith wrote:

We use an aluminum water bottle.... which is handy because you can mount it in this for easy empty/service:

http://www.globalbikesonline.com/catalog/images/handle%20bar%20mount%20water%20bottle%20holder.jpg

You have handlebars in your engine bay?  I am intrigued.

Per HQ oil catch cans are verboten (that's forbidden for you non-bacon eaters). I suggest sending an email before installing.

Bacon, oh bacon
Bacon, bacon, oh bacon
Love in five letters