Topic: New project! 1973 Volvo P1800es

So, the father of an old grade school friend just offed me a 1973 P1800 ES. It is pale blue with a blue interior, blue vinyl top & roof rack. It was last registered in 2008 but has been on Non-op since then. I have always liked these but really, know nothing about them. The body is straight, there are a few small rust bubbles under the paint of the rear panel. All of the chrome is there & in good shape. The interior looks good, it has original worn leather, under sheepskin seat covers.  The dash pad is cracked, as expected. It shows 187k on the odo &  it has not been started in years but "Ran When Parked".
A quick internet search indicates it is desirable & possibly salable. The question is... should I make it a daily driver, parking my Miata, or should I get it running & sell it to raise money for other projects?

Tired Iron Racing, Class A Winner of 2023 Days of Thunder & the Hooptie-Con Engine heat Cooking Competition, otherwise just a 50x loser, which is somehow able to finish in the top ten, if we don't step on our own dicks.

Re: New project! 1973 Volvo P1800es

Cover it in house paint and duct tape, cage it and race it.

Yes, it is desirable.   Yes, it is salable.   The problem is that the sellers always seem to have
an inflated idea of its value.   As a result, they sit for years with a For Sale sign, but are only
sold when the owner dies and his family just wants to get it out of the driveway.   That's what
happened to two that I've seen.   Unfortunately, in both cases, I didn't know that the guy had
died, so I missed out on it.

Don't put any money into it in the expectation that you can sell it for big dollars, because you
will never recover your investment.   Restore it only because you love it and want to drive a
classic.   On the other hand, it would be a shame to LeMonize such a beautiful car.

Personally, I would love to have one to restore and drive, but not at the prices that are being asked.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

They're worth OK money in great shape. In solid drivable shape, you run into the Volvo Cheapskate problem when you try to sell, and you won't make money. I've seen many, many of these in restorable but rough condition, failing to sell for prices around a grand. Be careful.

I sold a really rusty, rough one that ran for about 1100 on eBay a few years back. A fully restored, Barrett-Jackson-grade one might fetch between 25,000 and 30,000.  They'r somewhat rare, and becoming more desirable.  Rust is their worst enemy, because, like the Karmann Ghia, they dopn't have many bolt-on body panels, so you really need to be good at body work to fix a rusty one right.  On the other hand, the mechanicals are pretty simple, and the only somewhat trouble-prone component (the Bosche fuel injection) is easily replaced with a Weber or two SU carburetors. 

If you can coax it to life (shouldn't be too hard) and get it driving, provided there isn't any major rust hiding anywhere, you could probably get between 3 and 5000 for it. 

if you want to keep and drive it, make sure you can keep it garaged (the rust issue), but other than that, they're pretty reliable, fun-driving cars.  Not the fastest sprinters, with only about 125 HP on tap and ~2500 lbs, but the handling is very direct and the brakes are good even by modern standards.  They generally have overdrive, too (assuming its a manual transmission) so they can cruise on the highway.  They'll do 100 mph and the engine will just sing.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

MikeZilla wrote:

...a 1973 P1800 ES.

I'd say keep it and park the Miata; any 1800 is fun.  One thing to know, however, is that just as there's no such car as a Chevrolet Camero or a SAAB Sonnet, there's also no such car as a P1800ES.  The only flavors of 1800 are:

P1800
1800S
1800E
1800ES

The prefix was never used in conjunction with any of the suffixes.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

We are in the midst of a multiyear project to build a Lemons one, it started life with Evil John, and its on a rotisserie right now as we are protecting the bare metal of it from rusting away.  TBH its a back burner project as life has gotten in the way of completing it, but we will eventually.

Great cars, cool looks, performance parts are out there, they can corner and handle VERY well.  I'm excited to finish ours some day.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

I want one

but it's got to be a long roof

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:

I want one

but it's got to be a long roof

That is the ES.  The 1800ES is the 2 door wagon.  The 1800E and P1800 were 2 door coupes.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["