1 (edited by OnkelUdo 2015-06-17 06:36 PM)

Topic: Mini Cooper S...selling for a friend

Please lord of all that is Lemons holy, someone buy this car I am helping a friend sell before I start making unwise decisions involving credit card advances, refinancing the house, etc.

Warning, the car will likely lead to a lost license because it is just a hoot...even with the automatic (not CVT!).

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/cto/5076352186.html

Of course, not practical enough for a guy like me with 340#'s of dogs but it does have me contemplating a 2005'ish GTI.

Re: Mini Cooper S...selling for a friend

Onkel, or would you prefer just plain Udo...

Don't do it, you don't want one of these. Yank the valve cover and see what's left of the timing chain guides. You'll be surprised. That Peugeot turbo engine is outdone by the previously utilized Chrysler-based 1.6 and that is saying something.

Ya don't trust a mountain bike chain to spin twin cams, unless you're Peugeot in the cost cutting era we're stuck in.

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

3 (edited by OnkelUdo 2015-06-17 08:20 PM)

Type44 wrote:

Ya don't trust a mountain bike chain to spin twin cams, unless you're Peugeot in the cost cutting era we're stuck in.

Or Saturn

I replaced the valve cover gasket for the common vac leak issue.  All looked fine.

4 (edited by chaase 2015-06-18 06:18 AM)

OnkelUdo wrote:
Type44 wrote:

Or Saturn

I replaced the valve cover gasket for the common vac leak issue.  All looked fine.

My wife had a Cooper S like that in blue. It was a lot of fun to drive.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

chaase wrote:

Yep.  I have really resisted driving it as much as possible because it is addictive.  The owner bought it for when she was working 1 week a month in Texas and the rest up here.  Since she was on per diem it almost made sense financially except for one thing...she is color blind so did not know how "unique" the interior color was.  She can't realistically use it up here for the same reason I can't...shear tonnage of dogs.

According to everything out there this should bring over $9500 but it will take just the right buyer who really likes it to get within a few hundred of the asking price.

OnkelUdo wrote:
chaase wrote:

Yep.  I have really resisted driving it as much as possible because it is addictive.  The owner bought it for when she was working 1 week a month in Texas and the rest up here.  Since she was on per diem it almost made sense financially except for one thing...she is color blind so did not know how "unique" the interior color was.  She can't realistically use it up here for the same reason I can't...shear tonnage of dogs.

According to everything out there this should bring over $9500 but it will take just the right buyer who really likes it to get within a few hundred of the asking price.

My wife switched from the Cooper S to a Countryman All4S so there is still one to drive in our family. Pricing cars is always tricky. I am selling my Corvette and I am not getting much in the way of bites even though my asking price is right about what an almost identical car sold for at Mecum.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner