Topic: Lightened flywheel good or bad

I totally destroyed stock flywheel and was wondering if  a lightened flywheel is really big help
100hp car that weighs2200 lbs

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

Re: Lightened flywheel good or bad

No.  Not really.  Maybe 5hp bump, which is always good - sure.  Lighter flywheel may warp or crack more easily than stock.  And in the hp/weight category, it's p*ssing in the wind.

Time is better spent trimming weight off that pig of a car you've got. Less weight to accelerate, corner, and stop.

My $2.57.

"Chief Idiot" - Italian Stallions Rotary X1/9
Class Win (Bad) / IOE Win (Guzzi Fiat 600) / We Got Screwed / GRM Most from Least

You don't want to lighten your flywheel only to have it come apart at 6000 rpm, sending shards through your legs and severing your femoral artery. If you do lighten your flywheel, a scattershield doesn't cost against your car budget. However, a good, professionally lightened flywheel isn't cheap and will cost against your budget. In my experience with early RX-7s (about 100hp), lightened flywheels are worth it if you also do a reduced diameter crank pulley, get rid of any engine driven fans, and have an engine that naturally revs high and revs quickly.

cmice wrote:

No.  Not really.  Maybe 5hp bump, which is always good - sure.  Lighter flywheel may warp or crack more easily than stock.  And in the hp/weight category, it's p*ssing in the wind.

Time is better spent trimming weight off that pig of a car you've got. Less weight to accelerate, corner, and stop.

My $2.57.

Lightening a flywheel doesn't add nor subtract power at all, it reduces rotational inertia and can allow slightly better acceleration, and allows faster shifts.

Team Dai Hard Home Page

1989 Daihatsu Charade

Its a honda so there is no flywheel to hit you  ,stock is 18 lbs  isee a  bunch of flywheels for $125  aluminum with steel insert clutch surface and  then all steel  8 lb ones also.

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER

Lightweight flywheels make racing cars much more fun if you transmission can shift as fast as the engine can rev and decel. If your transmission has cable shift or is approx 889,000,000 miles old, it might not help you at all. Or is a transmission made by: Honda*, Mazda*, Ford* Mitsubishi, GM, Toyota*, Mopar, Nissan etc

*their rod shifted transmissions work great for fast shifting whereas the cable operated ones suck.

Team Dai Hard Home Page

1989 Daihatsu Charade

Where you remove the weight matters...the closer to the edge, the bigger the effect on rotational inertia...and the greater the risk of it coming apart catastrophically if you take off too much...probably not worth the effort

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/flywheel/h … _works.htm

"Chief Idiot" - Italian Stallions Rotary X1/9
Class Win (Bad) / IOE Win (Guzzi Fiat 600) / We Got Screwed / GRM Most from Least

We lightened ours on a brake lathe.

It helps the engine rev up quicker.  Which also means it drops revs quicker.

I think that contributes to the increased need to rev match when shifting.  The window of a clean shift is a lot smaller when the RPMs drop faster.  So there are drawbacks. 

I don't think the quick revs make the clutch much happier either. 

I also had my front balancer cut down to a single row and had it drilled and tapped to lock the rubber ring.  I found a guy who did it all for $20. 

We didn't weight the flywheel before we trimmed it but I am sure we removed a lot of weight between the balancer and the flywheel combined.

The revs on my old L-Series are insanely quick compared to a stock car.  Some of that may also be better tuning.  It just takes time so we play with carbs and timing more than we probably should.

End result, my car is screaming at the red line before a lot of cars have over come their lag and even taken a breath.  That equals better throttle response and quicker exits out of the turns.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

I also had my front balancer cut down to a single row and had it drilled and tapped to lock the rubber ring.  I found a guy who did it all for $20. 

So, basically you have defeated/disabled the damper.  If you don't expect the engine to live too long (meaning thousands of hours) this is fine, but why not just throw the thing away and be done with it, then?  Surely this is more weight savings than cutting one down.

If it ain't broken, fix it 'til it is.

Cadillac Bob wrote:

So, basically you have defeated/disabled the damper.  If you don't expect the engine to live too long (meaning thousands of hours) this is fine, but why not just throw the thing away and be done with it, then?  Surely this is more weight savings than cutting one down.

On a lot of Japanese cars, the harmonic balancer is part and parcel with the crankshaft pulley. So you could get rid of it, but then you also couldn't run your alternator. Come to think of it, that would be a lot less weight too. Hmm...

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:
Cadillac Bob wrote:

On a lot of Japanese cars, the harmonic balancer is part and parcel with the crankshaft pulley. So you could get rid of it, but then you also couldn't run your alternator. Come to think of it, that would be a lot less weight too. Hmm...

On the early L-series straight six Nissan/Datsun engines, the water pump pulley is the outside of the damper. 

At just under 40 years old, they have a fairly high failure rate.

When they fail, the water pump is not turned properly and the car over heats.

If you don't realize what is going on in time, you can blow the head gasket and warp the head which can further lead to dropped valve seats.

I know this cause it happened to my 1972 driver all the way back in 1997.  One reason I had spare head parts for a 240Z.

Ford and Chevy engines that have pulleys that bolt to the center of the balancer do not have this problem.  A failed balancer makes a lot of noise and I am sure there are some potential consequences but they are less sever than on a lot of imports.

Many performance balancers for Z cars are locked like mine.  When my failed and I was 100 miles from home. I tried to hammer a few nails in where the rubber ring was to hold it together to get it home.  That didn't work.

I think SFI approved balancers may be locked as well.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

I think you guys are focused on power when the race is looking for stamina!    The harder you drive in a $500 car, the sooner it breaks. 

Take weight off the car.  that makes the engine work more efficiently.

grumpy wrote:

I think you guys are focused on power when the race is looking for stamina!    The harder you drive in a $500 car, the sooner it breaks. 

Take weight off the car.  that makes the engine work more efficiently.

The motor I'm going to put a lightened flywheel on has 7 races on car and 6 on the motor in it .So a little more power I doubt will bother this motor and these are as light as you can go .

I just finished the aluminum foil and duct tape body and aluminum can bumpers.
Got to watch out for all those metal tweakers that they don't take body off car!!

15 (edited by EriktheAwful 2010-01-16 06:31 AM)

We lightened ours on a brake lathe.

I didn't want to mention how to do it. There were a lot of drag racers in the '60s who lost their lives to flywheel disintegration. If you lighten your own flywheel, run a scattershield. Seriously.

a little food for thought. back in the days of old, there was a guy by the name of Don Garlits, who ran a dragster. went by the name of swamp rat.

half his foot disappeared in a clutch/flywheel/tranny explosion.

that is why scattershields are required in nhra racing.............