Topic: Windshield Crack

After searching the forums, I still don't understand what windshield cracks are acceptable. Some said just tape it as long as it doesn't impair your view. Others say lexan or just replace it with any cracks. If I have a 6 in crack on the passenger side with some spider webbing is taping with clear tape acceptable or not? What do you recommend and what will pass tech?

TIA

Emily's Power for a Cure 1990 Mazda Miata (I Got Screwed 2014 Southern Discomfort)
Help in the fight against Neuroblastoma, a devastating childhood cancer.
http://emilyspowerforacure.com/

Re: Windshield Crack

Winshields on most cars with unibody construction are pretty important in structural ridgity, and a breakage will certainly spread on the track, sometimes very quickly and can impair safe viewing through it. Not to mention that even tempered glass cubed shards are still very sharp, remove themselves off the plastic inner layers and the windshield could remove itself from the car if sufficiently motivated.

If I was a safety inspector, I wouldn't pass it. I am not though, so maybe email John @ Evil Genius, its his call.

Team Dai Hard Home Page

1989 Daihatsu Charade

We have large cracks spanning the windshield vertically.  We needed to tape both sides for tech at CMP.   If you have the time I'd get a Lexan windshield, but I wouldn't loose too much sleep over it.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

To answer your question, yes, cracks are legal.  We have several cracks and it had no problem in tech.

We have a spare windshield, but it would require a new seal which isn't cheap, so we stuck with the cracked one.  Old cars like our Z need the seal for the windshield to stay in.  Newer cars use sealant only.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

I have heard of rock crack, plumbers crack, brown crack, crack pipes, crack lighters, crack heads, crack whores, and such... but what is this "windshield crack" and where can I score some?

It Ain't My Fault

Use your judgment. If it's a little crack of the sort the CHP will use as an excuse to stop you and look for the weed (not from experience, just an example....), you'll probably be fine. If the whole thing is being held together by the glue surrounding the rearview mirror, you may have an issue. You can always email me with pix and I'll consult the tech inspectors for you.

7 (edited by FJ40Jim 2010-01-12 06:19 AM)

Woodstock wrote:

I have heard of rock crack, plumbers crack, brown crack, crack pipes, crack lighters, crack heads, crack whores, and such... but what is this "windshield crack" and where can I score some?

It's cheap.  You can get all you need at the U-pull-it yard.

edit for tech: Our GTI has had a long crack starting on the pass side for over a year now.  Passes tech, no problem.  Luckily the crack has not spread noticeably after many hours of racing and a wall incident at Toledo.

IIRC, isn't windshield replacement added to the list of financially exempt safettyy items?

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

8 (edited by Mulry 2010-01-12 06:41 AM)

FJ40Jim wrote:

IIRC, isn't windshield replacement added to the list of financially exempt safettyy items?

Yup. And if you replace it with Lexan, you'll probably drop at least 20 pounds off your car and still be compliant with all pertinent Lemons safety regs.

Because, you know, that 20 pounds is all that's keeping you from winning this race smile

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

You've got email Nick

Emily's Power for a Cure 1990 Mazda Miata (I Got Screwed 2014 Southern Discomfort)
Help in the fight against Neuroblastoma, a devastating childhood cancer.
http://emilyspowerforacure.com/