Topic: How many cars will finish the Chumpcar at Infineon??

Unforunately I can't get over there to check it out...but I heard 44 cars entered...& 26 arrived with only 17 started on Saturday...

So the million nickel-pennie ??  how many cars will actually finish the chumpcar race that ends Sunday January 10th....place your vote here

My guess is 11

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Re: How many cars will finish the Chumpcar at Infineon??

yes thats a negative,

no i dont know what i mean by it.... smile

I was there from race start 'til finish.

One team was drinking beers before the first hour had passed...
Out after about 4 laps.

There was a SBC powered car that had NO FAN. Removed the fan from water pump.
Small electric fan not turned on...

Overheated, smoking like mad and developed rod knock.

Yes, I'd say 11 sounds about right...

Zzzzzzzzzzz

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

I was thinking about going by and checking it out, but I'd like to see more than 17 cars.

vwdmc16 wrote:

yes thats a negative,

no i dont know what i mean by it.... smile

http://www.plymouthrockranch.com/images/August%20044.jpg

The Charnal House Geo MetSHO: Turning less laps than a regular Metro, the hard way!

1969 Subaru 360

As I sit in the Infineon garages, I can see 18 inside and I know there are a few outside as well.  I'd guess that of the 28 here, 20 will finish today.

I hope you guys got yours all sorted out.
The 20 minute axle change was impressive.
Any trouble finding that O2 sensor last night?

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th

I just got off the phone with somebody at the track:

12 cars are on track.

I asked him how many cars are on track.
He says: "Every once and a while a car goes by"...

KT

9 (edited by Troy 2010-01-10 07:20 PM)

Chumps turn out seems kind of unfortunate. 

Not to mention the number of guys on here who spectated instead of racing.

I posted comments I have heard from other Lemons car owners in the Texas area about the Chump race in Dallas on the Chump Forum.  None of them are jumping at the Dallas Chump Race at Texas Motor Speedway.  It's 2 weeks apart from the Dallas Lemons at Eagles Canyon. 

TMS is a True 24 hour race at a NASCAR track and the people I know with cars are interested but no one is jumping at it.  No one I know wants to run their car.

I posted the comments I had heard on the Chump Forum in a post about their Claiming and I got a pretty disrespectful response.  It was really a summary of factual statements/opinions of fellow car owners. 

If they want us to spend our money and risk our cars in your series, be a little nicer!

The guys I know asking the most about TMS are Arrive and Drive guys with little vested interest in the cars.

Chump's huge anti-cheating, we catch you and we're gonna suffer type attitude does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling.  When there perception/measure of cheating and rules is "We know a $500 car when we see one."

Why subject myself to that crap with such a well defined yet subjectively applied Claiming rule. 

Their response.  Your car can get Cursed in Lemons and you get nothing and Lemons claim only pays $500.

The probability of getting Cursed now is pretty small.  You really have to earn it now.

Only one car has ever been Claimed in Lemons and from my understanding the team wanted the car to be claimed.

While Chump was "Born from Lemons," (quote from John Condren's deleted introduction of Chump on the Lemons Yahoo Board) the attitude is we are cheating assholes.

The Chump gist seems to be Bribing the Crooked officials has made a mockery of Crap Can racing.  Yet there first race resulted in guys yelling cheater at a hard top Miata and some other cars.

I don't know how many cars Lemons accepted to Infinion.  I think it's around 80 from about 150 applications.  I'd expect to see Infinion to become a 100+ field after a few races.

I hope the Chump event went well.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

10 (edited by icemang17 2010-01-10 10:38 PM)

Well said troy.....after reading all their rules and snooping around their forum I also don't know if its worth it to race with them.....sure I might get crushed at Lemons....but the thought of "cheater justice" being the organizers claiming a whole bunch of cars to teach cheaters a lesson.....I don't like that at all.... and can't see that ending well for chumpcar either.....

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

It just seems that Chump decided to enter the pool with a Cannonball but forgot to check if there was water in the pool.

Fall South 09- 23rd place
Southern Discomfort '10 Magnum PU- 5th place
Spring South '10- 1st...... LOSER!

ecugrad wrote:

It just seems that Chump decided to enter the pool with a Cannonball but forgot to check if there was water in the pool.

priceless...........  smile

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

13 (edited by Buzz Killington 2010-01-11 08:13 AM)

IMO, it seems like the CC organizers want to have their cake ("we have a strict $500 limit") and eat it, too ("we don't care about your documentation; we know a $500 car when we see one").

if they're going to be sticklers about the spending limit, they need to also be more formal in the assessment process, which includes giving credence to people's docs.

Lemons is less formal in every way, so who cares if they don't believe your docs?  99% of the time, it's not like the penalty is anything to really worry about.  the $500 limit is loosely and arbitrarily enforced, and the judging process is similarly loose and arbitrary.

Chump seems like they're trying to enforce a strict, formal limit through an arbitrary process, which is not going to make anyone happy.

Troy wrote:

has made a mockery of Crap Can racing.

how do you make "a mockery" of this sort of racing?  isn't mockery the whole point?

is that like sullying the reputation of TMZ?

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

14 (edited by sawinatthewheel 2010-01-11 09:40 AM)

We ran the Chump at Sears.  Yes, the car count was low.  That's not John's fault.  He has said many times on his forum that the claiming rule is for BIG time cheaters.  There were no big time cheaters.  Everyone played nice.  Chump pays 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.  There were two races, one on each day.  Six payouts.  The good folks at Krider Racing took a second and a third.  The main difference as I see it is John is a racer and Jay is an artist.  There were no bs judges to wrap you in duct tape.  There were no penalties for 4 wheels off, touching other cars, or some of the other infractions that Lemons deems necessary.  Lemons is the only series in the world that thinks running off the track requires a trip to the race stewards.  Every other series that I know of states that if you don't advance your position by going off track, keep going.  Rob Krider was entering turn one in traffilc and was confronted with some scattered cones.  He had to instantly make a decision on where to go.  Unfortunately, he decided to go left through the cones instead of on the right side.  He was black flagged.  He explained what happened and was immediately sent on his way with no bs.  Chump is more about racing.  The leader car on Sunday was caught working on the car during a refuel (an infraction).  He was brought in and held for 30 seconds.  Again, no bs just a normal racing situation.  I am not knocking Lemons, we all know what we are in for when we sign up.  Just don't knock Chump until you've tried it.  Our team had a great time.  I hope to run both series, but first I have to steal a gun and rob a bank!

sawinatthewheel...sometimes too much, sometimes not enough...just like life

We're full steam ahead to go to VIR in the Mazdareti, but unfortunately won't be at Rockingham.  I'm sure it will be great fun and we can't wait.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Troy wrote:

I posted the comments I had heard on the Chump Forum in a post about their Claiming and I got a pretty disrespectful response.  It was really a summary of factual statements/opinions of fellow car owners. 

If they want us to spend our money and risk our cars in your series, be a little nicer!

I've had a similar experience.  IMO, the people in charge should be very careful in what they write and try not to be a smart a$$ to their potential customers.  If you have too many customers and have to turn people away (like Jay) then maybe you can afford to do that.  When you have only 17 cars, you cannot.

IMO, some of the CC rules are better, some are worse.  I actually like their pit stop and refueling rules.  According to what I've read each pit stop that involves fueling has a minimum 5 minute (timed) limit to avoid a penatlty.  Seems like a good idea to keep the teams from being in a mad rush and spilling fuel everywhere or making another big safety mistake.  Thjer claming rule and other penalties make me more weary though.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Sure, Chump is about the racing.  But consider that... 

The vast majority of the cost of racing is not the car.  It's in other things.  If what you care about is the racing, then his entrant competition isn't with Lemons, it's with the Spec Miata, IT_, Spec RX7, etc. classes.  Sure, I have a car that is legal for both series - but when my "entertainment" dollar is going to be spent (and racing is just a form of entertainment at it's most basic), then I'm going to do the event that is most entertaining to me - which is Lemons until proven otherwise. 

With that said, I'm going to be at the VIR Chumpcar event.  It's a track that I've always wanted to drive on.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

The five minute refueling rule to compensate for the teams that must pit further away from pit in and pit out.  If you are in the boonies you are not disadvantaged.  I think only one of our stops was under five minutes...it was four and we had to wait a minute at pit out.  The rule is meant to equalize pit location.

Buzz,

The mockery to of Crap Can racing opinion is from their huge anti-cheating and leveling the playing field attitude.  They act like Lemons is full of all out cheaters who brake the rules and Bribe their way out of it.

I don't see it that way at all but there is a lot of cheating.  It just depends on how you look at cheating.  I know a car that needed a Rack & Pinion and tie rod ends.  They replaced them and no one cared.  However, it was definitely over budget.  I asked Jay about a rack and he said it was not considered safety.  Guess what, the Judges said nothing.  So technically, they were cheating.

I've heard of some guys running a Quaife.  I'd love on of those too.  I am trying my ass off to come up with a cheap LSD.  So far I am still running on a welded diff. 

I had a conversation with Condren himself and talked about clutches.  We've been through 2.  I've received a lot of pressure to run something like an ACT clutch.  No one would know unless I told them.  It's only like a $350 clutch in a $500 car.  To me that just above and beyond the point of what we are doing.  Condren's response, it doesn't make you faster.

It doesn't make the car faster but it is more likely to last longer, which would make the car more reliable and keep us on track more.  Therefore being a huge advantage in an Enduro.  I would figure a racer would understand that.

I run a house brand OE replacement clutch.  Granted I run the turbo version now but it's still just a house brand lifetime warranty clutch.  One advantage, I get free replacements.

In Lemons technically theme stuff counts toward the $500 too but it gets over looked.  I am pretty sure it's a freebie in Chump.

So just exactly where do you get into cheating?  I thought it was once you crested $500 of non-safety stuff. 

Sawinatthewheel,

Thanks for your post.  Lemons is pretty strict on the contact.  I think it gets to be more of an issue when you are racing a huge field like the 100+ car races we are seeing.  The fact that John lets guys get away with some rubbing goes against their whole racing room rule in my opinion. 

Lemons started out more like a derby and has come a long way since.  Lemons enforces car control.  The enforcement comes down to the perception of the corner workers.  So getting away with something in a race or not is more dependent on the corner workers than the rules and sanctioning body.

Chump tries very hard to level the playing field.  Then the Volvo at Portland was basically set up by a Volvo race shop.  They had a machine shop so they machined their head.  I don't care but having a machine shop is a huge advantage.  So much for the level playing field.  If I had free run of a machine shop, my motor would be even more bad ass!

I do get a lot of help from my friend/team mate through his shop but aside from being more spacious and having nicer stuff, he's got a brake lathe, cutting torch and tire machine, I can do the same stuff in my garage.  Having an old spare part laying around comes in handy sometimes too.

I think Chump looks interesting and fun.  I just don't know how they will value my Crap Can and I don't really care to start a race with negative laps.  It started out as a $500 car with very few performance mods since but it's still not the car is was in October 2008. 

My car pretty much has a check list of many "cheater" parts.  I've got $120 in my suspension and got a lot for my money.  My car does run fast laps.  It also breaks and we get penalties.  Then there's that whole hopeless Z thing.  It has more power than an ITS 240Z. 

I do not care for what I feel like are contradictory rules in Chump.  How can they preach about race room and let guys get away with a little rubbing?  In a 25 car field there is really no reason to be bumping into each other.

They use the NASA Fueling rules except they have a 5 minute minimum and I think they tossed the 10 gallon fueling limit.  Technically, you can only change two tires in a NASA Enduro at a time if I recall correctly. 

How do I know?  I crewed from some friends and fellow Lemons races at the Spring NASA Enduro at TWS 2009. 

We finished first in our class, Spec Miata.  However, their were timing errors with a bunch of cars, including ours, due to water over the timing loop.  We have never had our lap times posted and they said we did not win.  The second place car had similar timing errors and one of their arguments was we could not fuel as fast as they could.  Our average laps times were still faster than theirs and we had the same number of pit stops.  We had an off and lost a few laps while they spun a few times.  We got screwed.

NASA failed to follow their own rules regarding lap timers too so the results became subjective.  They are supposed to black flag cars if their lap timer wasn't working.  Problem was about a 1/3 of the field had issues.  They did not tell us anything until it was over.

Sanctioning bodies break their own rules at their discretion.  Chump did not enforce racing room.  Lemons does give guys pass throughs for penalties.  There are even some GASP $500+ cars.  Do you really car how much a team spends on a Fiat Brava?

Aside from all this, I am tossing around ideas to race at the TMS race but I think I may have ruffled a few to many feathers in the Chump pool.  I feel like I have made fact based points and guys start arguing about it.

I do not hate Chump but I do not appreciate hippocracy or dishonestly. 

Sawinatthewheel, thanks again for your post.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

20 (edited by Troy 2010-01-11 10:32 AM)

Sawinatthewheel,

I understand the point of the 5 minute pit stop rule.  I just don't think it works.

When you are racing on NASCAR tracks or tracks with a Hot Pit, why not use that?

It's freakin' safer!  NASA used a Hot Pit in their Enduro. 

When Chump forces a 5 minute rule for fueling stops, and eliminates the 10 gallon limit, they encourage larger fuel tanks and cells.

I think we can dump 20 gallons and do a driver change in 5 minutes.  So we could eliminate a few required 5 minute stops by going to a larger cell.  We just tilted the playing field to our advantage.

We could probably run 4 hours on a tank and do a driver change at the 2 hour mark.  If we don't add fuel we can probably do a 1-2 minute stop.  So that's say 7 minutes of pit stops every 4 hours.

With my 12 gallon cell we do a driver change about 1.5-2 hours and dump in about 10 gallons.  It doesn't take 5 minutes but we would have to do 2 or 3 pit stops at 5 minutes each in Chump.  So we would be down 3-8 minutes every 4 hours to a comparable car with a 24 gallon cell.  So 5 minutes doesn't level the palying foeld for my car, it screws my car!

So what's 3-8 minutes, probably 1.5-4 laps every 4 hours.

Have you ever watched The Truth in 24?  Audi beat Peugot with a slower car by better planning, better wet racing and faster pit stops.

Then there's the reality that Chump had something like 25 cars.  How far out in BFE could you really be with only 25 cars?

I can not speak for every Lemons race but at MSRH and No Problem, we fueled in a common area.  So it did not matter where you were in the paddock for fueling.  Repairs were not allowed in the Hot Pit at MSRH.  I don't remember at No Problem.

Bascially, I don't see the 5 minute rule leveling anything or the necessity.  It just encourages large fuel cells and tanks.  Plus it is not part of the NASA Enduro Pit Rules and another example of contradictions in Chumps Rules.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Chump car insists on gravity fed 5 gal jugs at refueling, and the rules at least state that a driver cannot exceed 2 hours on track. That negates the advantage of a large tank...

Chotus! Chotus! Chotus! Chotus!

22 (edited by VKZ24 2010-01-11 11:12 AM)

sawinatthewheel wrote:

The five minute refueling rule to compensate for the teams that must pit further away from pit in and pit out.  If you are in the boonies you are not disadvantaged.  I think only one of our stops was under five minutes...it was four and we had to wait a minute at pit out.  The rule is meant to equalize pit location.

Now that was a HELPFUL repsonse, not a smart a$$ one.  Thank you very much for that.  I was under the impression they had a central refueling area like a designated "hot pit".

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Troy, I believe the 5 minute rule was in place before Chump knew how many entrants there would be.  If there were 75 entrants, many would have had to pit in BFE.  As it was, the 5 minute rule wasn't enforced on Sunday.

24 (edited by Troy 2010-01-11 11:18 AM)

Steve, you obviously missed my point and explanation of how a 12 v 24 gallon cell in my car would result in a 3-8 minute advantage with a 24 gallon cell.

If you can go 4 hours on fuel, you can do a driver change at 2 hours without a 5 minute minimum.  Figure a 1 minute driver change.

With a 12 gallon cell we would have to do fuel and driver change.  Since we have to add fuel, we are stuck for 5 minutes even if it only takes 3 minutes.

I think we can dump 4 5 gallon jugs and change drivers in 5 minutes.  So a 24 gallon cell needs say 7 minutes in pit stops every 4 hours.

The 12 gallon cell would need at least 10 minutes every 4 hours.  Losing 3 minutes every 4 hours is 18 minutes of time lost to fueling over 24 hours on a 12 gallon cell.

If I want to race as competitively as possible, I should go to a 24 gallon cell.  Take the extra 100 pounds of fuel to save the time in the pits.

Additionally, I can have more than one guy dumping fuel into my car at once so I can easily dump 10 gallons into my cell or most other cells at the same time.  With 3 guys over the wall so it works fine. 

I don't recall if NASA rules state one fueler.  You can modify the 5 gallon jugs too. 

So I would lose about 18 minutes to a comparable car over 24 hours.  My friend with a second car like mine is planning to change to a fuel cell since his stock tank did not work so well.  He is planning to go with a 24 gallon because it buys time.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Sawinatthewheel,

I understand the BFE point.  I just don't understand why they did not use a Hot Pit or common fueling location.

A problem with fueling in your paddock is if there is a fire, you may not be right by fire equipment.

Also in NASA Enduros, they watch your pit/fuel stops.  You have to have a guy with an extinguisher and everyone in full gear like we do in Lemons. 

If you are in BFE, who observes and enforces proper fueling procedures?

Saying you use NASA Pit Rules while no one is watching means you are really just using a 5 minute stop watch and turning a blind eye. 

When everyone fuels in the same place, there are safety personnel and equipment there to ensure safety.

A fire in the paddock, especially a crowded paddock could spread very quickly.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z