Topic: NANS vs. Defender vs.....

OK, I finally got my wife to agree to drive a crap can on a bet (one track day in a F2000 and she turns her nose up at Lemons!)  .....but she won't go unless both of us use a restraint.....anybody use a HANS? Is any brand better than the other? They all look pretty spendy.....I've never worn one, but it looks like driving in a noose....can you move you head enough? Can you get out of the car easily? I know the big guys wear them, but I'm not quite as agile as Carl Edwards.... I'm not sure this is necessary at our speeds, but I'm not gonna win this argument...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Re: NANS vs. Defender vs.....

http://www.isaacdirect.com/SFI.html

while i don't use one of these, guys that need to jump in and out of cars seem to like them.  plus it works with different size belts.

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

I used a HANS for the first time at the Lamest Day.  When I first put it on, it felt like it would restrict movement and be uncomfortable on the shoulders, but once the track was hot, I never thought about it again.  It never hindered my view of traffic or mirrors and it didn't dig into my shoulders.  Getting in and out of the car was a breeze.  It took a few tries to get the clips on and off at first, but after several driver swaps, it wasn't bad at all.  Our whole team was able to wear the medium sized HANS.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

thx for the info..Jeff and 'stang...Issac looks interesting but I'm concerned about it being non-SFI.....Jeff, about what size range of your drivers could use your medium?  do you use special belts?  I'd like to share one with my wife, but she's shaped a lot differently than me....

Jim "Endo" Anderton

Hans is a great product but you have to order it with a specific built id degree angle 0/10/20 deg and it makes it hard to use in different cars. The Defender is a bit more easy on the shoulders and is adjustable to multiple angles so it can be used in your S2000 and in your crap can or your off road truck. I think they list price in the 550 range now..

Pen

Our drivers ranged from 5'-9" to 6'-3".  Weights ranged from around 170 to 210 and the medium fit all of us just fine.  I don't recall which model we used, but it is for a sedan, so it's a low angle version.  From what I'm told, they are sized based on neck size.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

OK, so HANS fits a wide range of drivers, and Defender a wide range of seat types....The issue is that I'm 5'9, 180#, thickish neck, wide shoulders, and she's 6'0, 135# thin neck and small shoulders...sure would like to avoid buying two of the damn things...

Jim "Endo" Anderton

That will be a tough fit between the both of you. They have restraints that are just harnesses around your body that would fit both of you but i have not seen them in a while.

Its called a Hutchens device.

E=MC Hammered
E30, 302I (ME car)
Pintoghini with turbo 2.3L
Old Spice Crown Victoria

Not to be confused with a Hutchence  device...

1978 AMC Pacer - The Blue Flag Special
BFE GP '12 - IOE
BFE GP '13 - Co-Organizer's Choice w/ Speed Holes Wrenching

Go to a good motorsport shop and have a HANS fit for both of you. I wouldn't be surprised if one model fit both of you. The angles are really for very different seat geometries (like formula cars where you're almost lying down).

Or call HMS (if you don't have a local option) and talk to them about it. They are very knowledgeable. With the sliding tethers that come with them, you'll hardly know you're wearing it. Just make sure the seat grommets are high enough for your wife.

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.

EvergreenDan wrote:

Go to a good motorsport shop and have a HANS fit for both of you. I wouldn't be surprised if one model fit both of you. The angles are really for very different seat geometries (like formula cars where you're almost lying down).

Or call HMS (if you don't have a local option) and talk to them about it. They are very knowledgeable. With the sliding tethers that come with them, you'll hardly know you're wearing it. Just make sure the seat grommets are high enough for your wife.

Dan has a point but the rule of thumb is when you are in the seat there should be one inch of space between the hans and the back of the seat. This is where the fun begins because every seat is not created equal. I know this because i have spent days at times fitting drivers in there cars and building mounts because there seat of choice will not work perfectly with the Hans because of ether the seat back angle or the angle they prefer there seat to be in. HMS is very knowledgeable with this but will also tell you that for the Hans to be comfortable you need the Schroth belts that are designed to go over and under the Hans along with HMS's special brackets to mount these belts. We know this because we use them in a few cars. What ever you do get because you don't want to buy two must have adjustability or you will end up buying two. Hans are great and were the first into the busines but more are coming onto the market and work just as well and even better as the Defender has shown.

Pendejo

Our team purchased one large 20 degree HANS for the race at Thunderhill.  We have a team range of 5'8" - 6'3" in heights, and a weight range of 170-265lbs.  Everyone was comfortable with the device, we always had someone assisting with the transfer of the device at driver changes (quick and easy with the disconnects), and no one complained of restricted movement.  It was the best investment the team made.  We spent $880 on the device with 3 mounts and California tax.

Expensive, but comfortable, quick to switch, and really unobtrusive.

The Cannonball Bandits | Facebook Fan Page | Unununium Medal Winners 2010
3X Organizer's Choice Winner 2010 - Sears Pointless, Goin' For Broken, Arse Sweat-A-Palooza
1X Organizer's Choice Winner 2011 - Arse Sweat-A-Palooza

Thanks all for this great info....sales guys just don't tell you this stuff. I wore the early BDSM Hutchins setup at Petty's Daytona "experience" and it felt like a Syrian torture device....glad to hear that the newer stuff is truly wearable...and that I should finalize the seat before shopping for the restraint. Ideally, I'd like to use the wide, non-HANS belts as I have a good set and not all my team is HANS ready/capable/interested...

Jim "Endo" Anderton

I raced with one during the 2009 season (non-LeMons) for the first time.  +1 on the comments about it being unobtrusive.  The only time I notice it is when backing out of the parking spot because you can't turn your head far enough.  After that, it is a non-issue and I never even notice it.

I use mine with standard 3" shoulder belts and have never had a problem with the belts.

Paul, aka BuFord Hogswaller:  Team Captain, Team Bavarian Ranchero and Team Pink Lloyd

I use an Isaac, and really like it.  Almost no reduction in movement, and easy to get in and out of the car.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

You'll have a couple of tether options on the HANS device--the sliding tethers offer the most side-to-side movement. There was so little restriction on mine that I had to look online to see if I had it hooked up right. I did--the thing is just really user-friendly.

Thx Nick....I'm relieved that it's user friendly. My experience with the previously mentioned Hutchens made me feel like Frankenstein, and move like him too.

Jim "Endo" Anderton

Rockford Brodie wrote:

Not to be confused with a Hutchence  device...

That's just a single, neck-sized loop.  Right?

Team Co-Craptain, Los Cerdos Voladores
Plymouth Neon
Yeah, we're horrible...but we're LEAST Horrible