Topic: Ghettocharge or newer shocks?

We have a 94 miata that had about $300 left in it.  We wanted to upgrade to an oil cooler and found an rx7 unit for $27 shipped and got all the hoses/other hardware for another $85.  So we have around $175 left that we could mess around with in the car, but don't know which way we should go if any.  I mean it is a miata and either way we must be cheating wink

I can get some used KYB GR2 or used shocks from a newer miata and retrofit those in.  The other option is to ghettocharge the car with only 4psi or so, and run a vortec FPR, which can be had for $40.  I found a turbo from an sr20det a while back that was seiezed for $50 shipped, so I have a good base.

Namco Racing #48 Miata

Re: Ghettocharge or newer shocks?

Do the shocks. It will make the car faster WITHOUT compromising engine life. Though some extra hp is sooo hard to pass up!

E=MC Hammered
E30, 302I (ME car)
Pintoghini with turbo 2.3L
Old Spice Crown Victoria

I would agree completely, except this is Lemons and the judges hate Miatas.

Show up with nice, firm new shocks and the judges will instantly say "cheater suspension!" 

Show up with bouncy 150,000 mile stock shocks and a nasty-looking ghettocharger, coupled with a top-notch theme... you'll have a much easier time.

For fun factor, and raceability, improving the suspension is the proper course of action... but you'll have a hard time getting through tech without BS laps.  It's likely that you'll actually FINISH in a higher position if you leave the suspension alone and do something goofy and unique with the car to avoid BS laps.

Want a free pass?  Rip out the Mazda engine and fit something like a Chrysler slant-6 in the front.  (note that I didn't say "under the hood")

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

good comments......my 1st thoughts are shocks all the way..no doubt...BUT getting past BS is a consideration....and ugly ghettochargers do help BS more than hurt (with documentation of course)....but also require lots of development time and tuning to be reliable....even at LOW boost......I think the batmobile runs pretty low boost....

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Yeah eyesore's only runs 4-5psi.  I would lean toward suspension as well, but I wouldn't want to give the real cheater miatas any competition for peoples curse.  We may just leave it as is, because I don't think our theme is good enough to merit an oversight of a turbo on the miata, regardless of cost. 

The judges last year were pretty cool about our car, as it was blatantly in a wire fire in the enegine bay.  A guy who races spec miatas was walking by and told the judges that it was just a crappy miata.  they slapped us on the back, told us to have fun, and said they would have to dock us 1 lap, just because it was a miata.  Sounded fair enough to me. 

From a fabricating standpoint, it would be a blast to ghettocharge it and not have to worry about the looks of it.  We may do it just for the hell of it, even if we don't race it like that.

Namco Racing #48 Miata

6 (edited by rharris19 2010-01-11 06:28 AM)

We thought about taking the 1.8L out and putting a 5.0 in there.  That wouldn't get anyones attention...............

Namco Racing #48 Miata

I'd skip the oil cooler all together.  Just something else to fail IMHO.

Fall South 09- 23rd place
Southern Discomfort '10 Magnum PU- 5th place
Spring South '10- 1st...... LOSER!

The oil cooler won't be failing very easily.  We leak checked the cooler and got quality fittings and lines form a local hydraulic shop.  This is the same setup I did in my track car and it has been trouble free.

Namco Racing #48 Miata

But it is one more item that COULD fail. 

Our team struggled with this internally as well.  All the "experts" said that if we didn't install an oil cooler, the motor would die quickly.  We decided not to do it and focus on keeping the underhood temps in check and never saw more than 220° to 230° on our oil temp gauge.

Good luck!

Thanks.  We battled overheating last year in Houston, so we wanted to rule that possibility out all together.  If the cooler becomes a problem, then we will just take it off and run it stock.  We are also adding more directed ducting to the radiator. 

Fingers crossed!

Namco Racing #48 Miata

The vents in the hood actually had our car running a bit TOO cold

http://magnumpu.com/body.aspx

Awesome louvers.  I am going to shamlessly copy that.

Namco Racing #48 Miata

i reccomend a front end conversion.  where are you located?  I'm sure there are some awesome cars on craigslist.

if you really wanna do something, do something at least lemony, like put a ford mustang v6/5speed in it, or a rotary that you just rev the crap out of

Mike Peters
Former rotary brat pioneer.
3.17.08 Jalopnik Hoon of the day.  #hasbeen
1984 Dodge Rampage, A few SHO engines, a Mustang 8.8, and a lot of hot glue going on now.

Yeah I should add my location to my stats shouldn't I wink.  I am in Pearland, just south of Houston.  HMMM a 13b swap you say.......We want to do a Toyota 1UZ with an adapted manual transmission somehow.

Namco Racing #48 Miata

Have you considered suspension bushings? Cheap, and they let the front end hold a setup....I feel they're great bang for your buck

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Not a bad idea.  When I changed to poly bushings in my track car it made a world of difference.  Didn't even think of that.

Namco Racing #48 Miata

Instead of ghettocharging or shocks, we recommend that you find a $100 Spitfire and drop the Miata body onto its chassis. That's a Miata the Lemons Supreme Court will love!

i have a 12a for $100 you can buy in san antonio smile

Mike Peters
1984 Dodge Rampage, A few SHO engines, a Mustang 8.8, and a lot of hot glue going on now.

19 (edited by EriktheAwful 2010-01-16 06:38 AM)

We wanted to upgrade to an oil cooler and found an rx7 unit for $27 shipped

I call BS on that one. A non-leaky RX-7 oil cooler runs about $200. Better have a Pull-A-Part receipt, and even then your oil cooler better have some welding on the nipples. The only intact oil cooler I have (out of four) was repaired.

Of course if you were to ghettocharge it the judges would probably look the other way. smile

Edit: If that's the beehive water-oil cooler you paid too much. Us RX-7 guys throw those away.

20 (edited by rharris19 2010-01-16 01:57 PM)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI … MEWNX%3AIT

I can post up a picture of the receipt from paypal and ebay if you would like.  So no it's not the water cooler and yes we did get it for $27 shipped.  I know plenty of people who pick these up for cheap and use them on their track cars.  Mainly because a new oil cooler is $175 and one of these can be had from around $50 normally.

Namco Racing #48 Miata

21 (edited by MurileeMartin 2010-01-16 02:46 PM)

You can find plenty of RX-7 oil coolers in self-service junkyards, so we won't have a problem believing a team got one cheap. The ones in Volvo 240 Turbos are much, much easier to remove, though- you don't even need to get underneath the car.

Crown Vic P71s also have pretty nice oil coolers.

EriktheAwful wrote:

We wanted to upgrade to an oil cooler and found an rx7 unit for $27 shipped

I call BS on that one. A non-leaky RX-7 oil cooler runs about $200. Better have a Pull-A-Part receipt, and even then your oil cooler better have some welding on the nipples. The only intact oil cooler I have (out of four) was repaired.

Of course if you were to ghettocharge it the judges would probably look the other way. smile

Edit: If that's the beehive water-oil cooler you paid too much. Us RX-7 guys throw those away.

used 1/2nd gen rx7 oilcoolers go around on the internet all day for stupid cheap.  the 240sx board i post on it is very common to see people using rx7 oil coolers, and buying/selling them for around $20.

Mike Peters

mikespeed95 wrote:

used 1/2nd gen rx7 oilcoolers go around on the internet all day for stupid cheap.  the 240sx board i post on it is very common to see people using rx7 oil coolers, and buying/selling them for around $20.

We got one for even less than that at a wrecking yard but it is bent, however it still works fine and has survived two races so far.

hmm good leads for finding cheapo oil coolers.......since the only one I have is a smaller volvo unit.....I don't know if its enough for the V8...but its still far better than nothing I guess

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

I stand corrected. I haven't yet found one at Pull-A-Part that didn't have cracked nipples. I still have several on my shelf that need welding.