Topic: "Aveo at Buttonwillow catching BMW's? Godda be cheatin' hard core."

NO Bull $hit!  Stock powered Chevy (AVI$ Race a Car) Aveo.

...passes BMW's often?

Cut springs
gutted interior
stock brakes including the rear DRUMS
Hawk pads in the front
stock tranny
stock shifter
stock gauges except for the oil pressure gauge and the ambient temp gauge up high
stock radiator
we added an oil cooler
tweaked the alignment
the red knob in the middle cuts off vacuum to the brake booster for those of us that like manual brakes
200 tread wear tires
stock rims
certainly added a cage and all the safety stuff
hood pins
still has working cat and OBD2 port with no check engine light

...and maybe a pretty OK driver!

https://youtu.be/f8wtWB2dBn4

HOWEVER...we have a problem finishing a race.  The FRIGGIN' Dea-won't rear axle has teeny-tiny wheel bearings and they don't always last...dammit.  This is a fun car to drive...when it's not howling from a crappy bearing.

Momentum is a terrible things to waste!!!

Re: "Aveo at Buttonwillow catching BMW's? Godda be cheatin' hard core."

Nothing to see here... except possibly the best Lemons driving video of all time.

Race: 2012 Vodden; 2013 Pointless, EMP, Vodden, Freeze; 2014 Vodden, Freeze; 2015 Vodden, Loudon, Freeze; 2016 Pointless, Discomfort, Vodden, Sweat; 2017 Turrible
Staff: 2017 Pointless, Vodden, Freeze
http://yousuckatracing.wordpress.com

That was some sweet driving!

Thanks for sharing. Great camera setup allows us to see the right foot of the driver and I can use this as an example to some of my drivers who want to understand how they can go faster in our little FWD econoboxes.

It validates a lot for me-- including that I lack a bunch of balls and waste my momentum A LOT. There were several instances of encountering other cars in that video where I would have braked and ended up in the situation like the video's driver encountered around 7 min in, braking before the final turn with no momentum and no ability to out-throttle the big 'Mericun car on the long straight.

Again, thanks for posting.

This is an example of a driver that is confident in the car and has good basics.

Well done.

The hand positioning is nice.  No resting anywhere except the wheel.  Shifts are quick but mechanically gentle (no superfastOMGJDMfastshiftingyo!)

The hands seem to be pulling the wheel down towards the corner instead of pushing over the top.

Driver looks slow and calm = Car goes fast!

People SHOULD watch this video to see how to do it.

Ghetto motorsports - Car #555 1980 Mazda RX7 (3x winner of BFE GP / 1x 2nd place of BFE GP...BOO!)
Car #350 78 Chevy Malibu (Least horrible Yank Tank, Heroic Fix) (Gone)
Car # 556 1987 Mazda RX7 (6th place MMC 2013) (1st place Capitol Offense 2013)

Wow...  Thank you all!  Godda fit the head back in my helmet...so I will not gloat for sure!

We are, once again, hoping to keep a car under us a Thunder Hill in a few weeks.  I'm usually the "hot-shoe" at the end of the days, so I put on my big-boy pants and go play with two balls!

Hey, I really really want to get video of our little $hit box flying over Phil Hill at Buttonwillow if anyone has some.  The early apex BMW bicycle was hysterical (and to extreme), but I was doing the controlled two wheel thing almost every time Saturday evening during out Global Warming two hour stint...and I never touched the dirt!  Depending on the race car I'm driving, putting 100% of the load on the left really increased the bite when cresting the top.  Unfortunately, the camera was not rolling (my bad), and I wasn't around anyone in particular that I remember.  So...the call goes out!  Two wheel Aveo anyone???

FYI...we are building two more Lemons cars for the future.  I keep saying it, "Lemons is the most amount of fun with your clothes on!"  This comes from a pro & several spec drivers...and most of us have memberships at Spring Mountain where we can play endlessly!  So much fun!!!

Some Sears footage where we really really lack the horse power, and it shows.  Plus, tighter track, less chances to pass, more potential black flags...you get the idea.  Still fun to watch.  Be sure to check out the rear view mirror up high for the camera.  You can see everyone braking early and not carrying the momentum:

https://youtu.be/QsrNpQ_Ww5Y

This was a random snippet of the race early this year.  "Donuts" hit us and took us out of the running.  )-:

One more shred of advise that seems to be forgotten all the time!  Use steering wheel extenders.  Get that wheel up closer to you.  Especially for endurance racing, you need to have a close wheel.  Just look at how close I positioned the wheel to my chest.  Might look uncomfortable, but it was actually spectacular!

Great driving!!

I have had the same issue with wheel bearings in our focus. 8 sets in 7 race's.  The last race at Buttonwillow we disassembled the sealed bearings and repacked with hight temp grease rated at 600 deg.  They all survived the weekend and only one of them started pushing the grease out.  We also ran ducting to blow on the hubs,that made a huge difference. We are using stuff from aero space technologies. I think alot of guys run red line or other synthetic.

Duck it racing #97

I went directly to the guys at NTN to come up with a bearing that would handle the abuse.  We sent them samples of spent bearings and they found that it was not over heated, it was bound up.  This pointed at a bent spindle.  We mic'ed the spindles and couldn't find the issue, but NTN said the material was probably getting weak and causing the spindle to flex just enough for the bearing to experience a pinch.  Once the pinch happens one time, the bearing is imperfect enough to overheat, ingest it's own carnage, and disintegrate into bearing hell.  New spindles are sitting on my desk as we speak.  Towing from Vegas to Thunder Hill must not result in a DNF for us dammit!  LOL.

What cheaty driving! Using all the track at entry, apex and out. Using all the grip in the tires (making noise but not screaming). Smooth hands and shifts. Planning passes in advance. Just unfair.

But very inspiring.

A question - how are you getting both the radio and the ambient sound into the video?

25X Loser - Delinquent Racing - '86 Rust-Tite Merkur - 9 years (when do I get to stop?).

Ahhhh...  The radio!  I thought that might be a topic.  Look closely at the radio in the lower portion of the video image.  That's the slave or monitor radio with a mic zip tied to the front of it!  Mic pics up ambient noise and two way radio chatter.  Gopro has aux mic input and DC hard wire capability.  Video...audio...radio all covered and run by car power!

Cool vid.

Renegade wrote:

Ahhhh...  The radio!  I thought that might be a topic.  Look closely at the radio in the lower portion of the video image.  That's the slave or monitor radio with a mic zip tied to the front of it!  Mic pics up ambient noise and two way radio chatter.  Gopro has aux mic input and DC hard wire capability.  Video...audio...radio all covered and run by car power!

Clever!

My first reaction was "using up a radio just to get audio into the video?" Second reaction was "Hey, we're using $30 Baofengs. It's genius."

25X Loser - Delinquent Racing - '86 Rust-Tite Merkur - 9 years (when do I get to stop?).

I have 12 radios from our "real" race team that don't get used enough unfortunately.  So, this is a good way to keep all the gear up to par!

This is wonderful. Super instructive to see what the driver is doing right - over and over. So consistently smooth, calm, and patient. Constantly putting himself in the right place, AND being respectful of other drivers. Thanks for sharing and showing how efficiently a "slow" car can be driven. I am inspired!

Driving like a girl for 33 years.

Fergus' Fault wrote:

This is wonderful. Super instructive to see what the driver is doing right - over and over. So consistently smooth, calm, and patient. Constantly putting himself in the right place, AND being respectful of other drivers. Thanks for sharing and showing how efficiently a "slow" car can be driven. I am inspired!

Thanks again for that!  I do shuffle steer because I have pretty crappy shoulders and this car has very light steering.  In the big cars, I don't get lazy and shuffle steer...but I am not doing 3 hours stints in those either!

Still hoping to get SOME sort of footage of our little AVEO on track Saturday night...especially flying on Phil Hill!

17 (edited by Paulie Lugnuts 2015-07-30 09:21 AM)

Renegade wrote:

I went directly to the guys at NTN to come up with a bearing that would handle the abuse.  We sent them samples of spent bearings and they found that it was not over heated, it was bound up.  This pointed at a bent spindle.  We mic'ed the spindles and couldn't find the issue, but NTN said the material was probably getting weak and causing the spindle to flex just enough for the bearing to experience a pinch.  Once the pinch happens one time, the bearing is imperfect enough to overheat, ingest it's own carnage, and disintegrate into bearing hell.  New spindles are sitting on my desk as we speak.  Towing from Vegas to Thunder Hill must not result in a DNF for us dammit!  LOL.

I wonder if the spindles are just to weak and flexing under a load. Perhaps "adapting" a Honda or VW spindle could be a permanent fix.

Panting Polar Bears, #58 Crown Vic, #78.5 Rambler, #76 Omega, #58 Camero

If I adapt, then I adapt everything in the rear...brakes, etc.  It is a big job, but it might be the solution.

19 (edited by addict#52 2015-08-01 12:09 PM)

J body rear end with caravan hubs? Pretty much bullet proof on dirt circles, track width should be close...

addict#52 wrote:

J body rear end with caravan hubs? Pretty much bullet proof on dirt circles, track width should be close...

No kidding!  I will look into that.  Thanks for the tip!!!

No problem, should be fairly cheap to do, and puts a 5x100 bolt pattern so probably have more wheel options

I'm actually going to try cryogenicly freezing the stub axles to see if that helps!

Paulie Lugnuts wrote:

I wonder if the spindles are just to weak and flexing under a load. Perhaps "adapting" a Honda or VW spindle could be a permanent fix.

Whatever you do, don't use older VW spindles.  On the Flying Lumberjacks VW Fox we seem to burn up  around a bearing set/spindle a race.  Or maybe we're just bad at packing and preloading the bearings.

I think this will show the new paradox of Lemons.  Modern econobox crap that no one wants is as fast or faster than a lot of cars that were performance cars 20 years ago.  However I think a lot of the modern equipment and sensors and addition of limp modes and the cars protecalls for its own self preservation are going to cause a lot more frustrating off track time trying to figure out why the car is doing some random thing, where the old slower cars will keep running until it shoots a cylinder out its block.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

BoB wrote:

I think this will show the new paradox of Lemons.  Modern econobox crap that no one wants is as fast or faster than a lot of cars that were performance cars 20 years ago.

The Aveo has a 0-60 time of about 9.5 seconds. I don't think that was considered 'performance' 20 years ago. The reason an Aveo is passing BMWs has nothing to do with the cars and everything to do with the drivers.

Race: 2012 Vodden; 2013 Pointless, EMP, Vodden, Freeze; 2014 Vodden, Freeze; 2015 Vodden, Loudon, Freeze; 2016 Pointless, Discomfort, Vodden, Sweat; 2017 Turrible
Staff: 2017 Pointless, Vodden, Freeze
http://yousuckatracing.wordpress.com