1 (edited by Sir Thomas Crapper 2010-01-12 05:38 AM)

Topic: Got our new lemon- 88 turbo coupe

Any ford turbo experts out there?  Is this a recipe for disaster?

I'm giving him 600, he keeps the head unit.  He's also getting another alternator from autozone, but not installing it:

I am offering a 1988 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe 5 Speed Manual car. It is a complete running vehicle. This vehicle was my daily driver since mid June. Recently the second alternator that I received from AutoZone failed and overcharged my battery and burned up some of the fusible links. While it was parked on the street in front of my house awaiting repair, some drunk drove into the driver side rear quarter panel and dragged his car up the side of the car. The driver side door still opens, closes and locks. The drivers window still goes up and down freely. I was originally planning a restoration for this car but now that it is pretty hammered I am no longer interested in the car. As I mentioned earlier this was my daily driver. So I am currently without a running vehicle to get back and forth to work. This is the reason I am offering this car for sale otherwise I would part it out one thing at a time on ebay or here. It would make a great donor car for almost any fox chassis ford, or for your Thunderbird.

This car features....

2.3 Liter Turbo engine bored 30 over and a one step above stock cam. essentially everything else is factory ford. 30,000 miles on the rebuilt bottom end.
Recent Clutch. ACT if memory serves. Good feel and great response. This car features a factory Hydraulic Clutch setup. Not many other Fox Fords had this.
The 5 Speed Manual Trans has a 2.95 first gear ratio. very desirable
Functional Electronic Ride Control.
The Rear is equipped with factory Disc Brakes and a 3.55 Trac-lok (Posi) Differntial
Basic Alpine CD/MP3-Disc Player
Automatic Headlight and High Beam Dimmer Contol
Working Power Antenna
Working Power locks
Working AC Compressor
Working Power Seats and Lumbar Adjustment
Automatic Climate Control
Recent Lower Control Arms

The Broken Stuff

The Alternator. Which I will replace if I get my asking price.
The Battery, It still Starts the car but it leaks at the Maintenance Caps.
Several Fusible Links located at the Ignition Solenoid
Drivers Side Mirror.
Drivers Side Door Lock Switch it only unlocks the doors it doesn't unlock them.
Parking Brake Cable is rusted in place. I have a new one that you can have.

Systems affected by the Fusible Links

The Electronic brake control for the rear brakes you get a hard pedal initially then it stops.
The ABS Computer
The Turn Signals
The Heater Controls
The Ignition Switch Circuit - The car must be started by jumping the Ignition Solenoid with a Tool.

I was considering replacing them with mega fuse panel before the car was hit. That would bring all of these systems back on line but whats the point if the body is destroyed? I tried driving the car and it is driveable, but with the wind rushing in through the damaged door gap and the poor braking situation, it's a recipe for disaster.

My asking price is 700 I think its a good price for a complete car that you can part out or use as a donor or spare parts car for your t-bird. I believe that the drivetrain is worth that. I do have a clear Connecticut title in hand as well.

If you have any further questions or would like to setup an oppurtunity to see the car feel free to email text or call me
Thanks for viewing my ad

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Re: Got our new lemon- 88 turbo coupe

that is no more than a $300 car, but it is a good start. I don't have any idea as to what he is talking about on the rear brake setup, to my knowledge, there is not any electric control for the rear brakes. The upside is that it is a fox platform, so you can adapt most fox and some SN95 parts to it. The downside is they are heavy pigs, so get ready to put her on a big diet.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

The turbo 2.3 has al the weight of a 302 without the reliability or power...

I'm building an 84 TC with a carbed 302.  I have learned a lot about making fox cars good Lemons.  Email for more info.

Property Devaluation Racing

Drivers wanted for TX races

We cuurently have 3- 302/5.0 motors laying around.  We also have 2- 4.9 straight 6 motors.  Perhaps a turbocharged straight 6???

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Last night I was talking with my buddy about our Pinto plans. 

I picked up a Turbo Chicken a while back for $200.  Supposedly it has a blown timing belt and around 90,000 miles.  The motors make good power for what they are but the cars are kinda heavy.

A friend wants the rear end for his old 5.0 convertible so it's more or less a free car after that.

I really wanted the hydraulically operated 5 speed for a 5.0 in a 240Z.

Then I was more or less offered a 351 4-speed.  So we were trying to decide which heap of crap we could through the 351 into.  It's some early 70s 351 turd but I am sure it could wake up the Pinto or we could through it in one of the Fox Chassis we have rotting away.

None of these plans will ever happen until I quit messing with the various Nissans anyway.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Strange, all the replies are from TX.

THe brakes are the probelm with that car. THey use a 100% electronic ABS unit. It has an electric motor that charges an accumulator that releases pressure when you hit the pedal. The hard pedal he is talking about means that the accumulator no longer holds a charge, but once the motor charges it, it works. The good thng is that you can swap in a booster from any Fox body and master cylinder from an SVO and be set. You'll have to do some minor brake line work, but it's easy, takes about an hour.

Disney wrote:

THe brakes are the probelm with that car. THey use a 100% electronic ABS unit. It has an electric motor that charges an accumulator that releases pressure when you hit the pedal. The hard pedal he is talking about means that the accumulator no longer holds a charge, but once the motor charges it, it works. The good thng is that you can swap in a booster from any Fox body and master cylinder from an SVO and be set. You'll have to do some minor brake line work, but it's easy, takes about an hour.

Good to know. I have a fox brake booster/master cyl that I would give to someone that needed it for their car (wait, sell for a dollar and provide a receipt).

Team Lost in the Dark
2012 Gulf region champs

I'm game!  Where do I send my dollar (plus S+H)?

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:

I'm game!  Where do I send my dollar (plus S+H)?

shoot me an email with your address and such.  I will ship it, and you can send me a check/money order/giftcard for beer once I know what it cost.

Davidwcrowder@gmail.com

Team Lost in the Dark
2012 Gulf region champs

Shouldn't this be in the "for sale" forum?

If it ain't broken, fix it 'til it is.

I don't think so, since it's sold.

Oh, I see, you reproduced the ad from which you bought the car.  Looked like you were the seller at first.  My bad.

If it ain't broken, fix it 'til it is.

btp76 is right, it's a cool car, but it will be a turd. I would look at limiting the boost and making sure you keep the engine coolant/oil temps under control at all times or you will blow a head gasket in about .0002 seconds. Neat cars, but a little quirky. Strip all those electronics out and make it as light as possible. It should run forever if you can keep it cool.

Shake and Bake
America, birthplace of the missionary position. You're welcome...

There was a turbo Pinto at 2nd AMP race and it was a rocket ship but crappy track for that car .T-hill or Searpoint that car would be crazy fast!!

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

Troy wrote:

... I picked up a Turbo Chicken a while back for $200.  Supposedly it has a blown timing belt and around 90,000 miles.  The motors make good power for what they are but the cars are kinda heavy.

A friend wants the rear end for his old 5.0 convertible so it's more or less a free car after that.

Then I was more or less offered a 351 4-speed.  So we were trying to decide which heap of crap we could through the 351 into...

Does the transmission from the 4 cyl turbo motor use the same bell housing that fits the V engines? (3.8 V6, 302 V8)

RoadRunner wrote:
Troy wrote:

... I picked up a Turbo Chicken a while back for $200.  Supposedly it has a blown timing belt and around 90,000 miles.  The motors make good power for what they are but the cars are kinda heavy.

Then I was more or less offered a 351 4-speed.  So we were trying to decide which heap of crap we could through the 351 into...

Does the transmission from the 4 cyl turbo motor use the same bell housing that fits the V engines? (3.8 V6, 302 V8)

no

Team Lost in the Dark
2012 Gulf region champs

unfortunately, no. 

I'm on a Turbo T bird website and have just offered to swap out the engine and trans for a v8 engine and trans.  This should simplify things a bit.  If I don't get the trade done, my next step is to find out how much I can get a v8 setup for and sell the turbo setup for the same $

If all else fails, we may be blowing up a nice 2.3 turbo motor.

I am pretty sure that both the 2.3T and 302s use the T5 transmission, but the input splines are a different size and the V8 T5s were beefier (World Class).

I have not owned a 2.3T car but I have several friends who do, and they consensus is that they're fun but finicky engines. Lots of electrical quirks.

The later Turbo Coupes also had an adjustable suspension, but at this age it's unlikely it still has the original electronically adjustable shocks/struts since it's easy to swap em out with regular stuff. The good news is that your car has rear disc brakes and the largest front brakes offered on a Fox, but as mentioned before, the Teves ABS system is a problem.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

Yeah, the ABS hasn't been working for a while, but the real problem is with the alternator burning up the fusible link.  I'm hopin replacing them both will bring the brakes back to their non abs glory.

Supposedly the active suspension still works.  We'll see tomorrow night!

You can use the 4 cyl T5s behind a V8 with the V8 bellhousing and clutch.  The input shaft diameter is different but there is a pilot bearing available.  We run the 4 cyl t5s in ours due to cost.

I have been told the Turbo T5 can handle a V8.  Both cars use T5s.

Since the bell housing bolt on, they could be changed if necessary but I did not think that was necessary.

The 3.8 liter is a 5.0 minus a 2 cylinders.

I've got a 3.8L T5 sitting around that I have planned on putting in a Mark VII.  It is supposed to be longer than the earlier T5s.  In the Mark VII, you are supposed to be able to run a later T5 without replacing the driver shaft.  The turbo is still assembled so I have never had the two transmission side by side to compare them.

The Mark VII project kinda of went to the wayside once we got into Lemons.  Hell, a lot of things went to the wayside once I got into Lemons.

I can't even get my Fox Body nut job friend excited about racing the Turbo Coupe or Mark VII.  So it may be time to do some automotive house cleaning.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Too bad you're not in San Diego, I have a good used T5 Cobra clutch/pressure plate sitting in my garage that I would literally give away. Worked fine, just swapped it out when I put a T5-Z in my LTD.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

Actually, I'm leaning toward keeping the drivetrain, as there's a guy who has done 2 CMP events.  7th place first time and was in first after his first shift second time.  The other 3 drivers managed penalties and accidents to get them back in the 30's.  He said the car was rock solid and the water temps only went above 200 a couple times.  He still hasn't done anything to the stok 140kmile head gasket.

I emailed him for advice and tech stuff that he may have, but so far have gotten an out of office reply.

the theme of this car needs to be Tim Richmond.

Mike Peters
Former rotary brat pioneer.
3.17.08 Jalopnik Hoon of the day.  #hasbeen
1984 Dodge Rampage, A few SHO engines, a Mustang 8.8, and a lot of hot glue going on now.