1 (edited by mlped 2010-01-12 07:10 AM)

Topic: Team Setups - Orgaization LLC Operating Agreement

OK, this may be too obscure or nit picky for most, but I'm looking for input on best "prudent" way to collect, and put a group together for a Lemons event.  I've tried running a couple of forum searches on "LLC" &/or team organization setup etc.. but not come across anything directly on pont.  I've also skimed through a couple of threads on budgeting and cost estimates, e.g.

http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewtopic.php?id=1945 

What I'm looking for is info, suggestion and guidance on creating a small bucket of $$$ out of whick to procure, hold and run one or two Lemon's cars, either as a one time event, or if it catches on with the group (of hoperully, friends and acquaintances) maybe even subsquent events.

Some of the goals:
-  try to avoid anyone party or person being saddled with liability of "owning" the vehicle
-  create a pool of fungible Lemons parts (i.e. the ancillary "stuff" gas cans, seat, harness, tape, maybe a radio &/or driver safety/comfort stuff like a coolsuit chiller or wide angle rear view mirror etc., and, who knows, maybe even a cheap trailer, or reefer box to hold the stuff between Lemon asaults etc.)
-  for Lemons vehicles that are also titleable and able to be run on a public road, a way to insure the car (particularly since we don't have a trailer to haul with) for transit to/from the venue.
-  have an account to deposite funds into for car & safety equipment acquisiton costs etc, and pay common expenses out of.

My innitial thoughts were for somekind of Limited Liability Company to open a bank account, hold a car title (if one exists) and maybe hold liability coverage insurance for any use of the vehicle on public roads.  The LLC would have some kind of Member mutual release and waiver language etc. as well as a team operating outline that could cover some of the very basics, i.e. 
-   The group is going to take your $500 innital contribution towards this "effort"
-   An "effort" is all the $500 (or $xxx what ever it is) gets you.  It ie (or is not) non-refundable; there's no guarantee the group will find a car, or if they find a car it'll get in the event etc.
-  It's you and xx other people as drivers, you can drop
-  The group may ask for more $$ to cover expenses
-  Provisions (or not) for some kind of winding up process, buyin or buy outs

I'm sure there's lots of other stuff to consider as well.   I mean I'm sitting here with a $400 purchaser open car title in my hand . . . ..  I've looked on the forum and seen what you folks look and sound like, and I know the people who want to pool their $500+ as drivers to put a car together to do this event - I'm not sure I want the thing titled in any one persons name - plausible deniability sounds good right about now  :-)

Anyway, looking for anyone's thoughts or suggestions.  Thanks Mike

Re: Team Setups - Orgaization LLC Operating Agreement

Mike,

You have many good points and look like you are on a good track.

I have talked about this with several team members as well as car owners.

The two cars we race are titled.  On is titled to me.  There is some liability there so a corporate structure would help remove individual liability.

One method suggest to me was have a parent corp, say Idiots Racing Inc.  Then make each car an LLP like #666 Idiots Racing Inc.

Like you said a corporate structure can have a bank account and own the cars as well.  Yes, this may seem overly complicated but there is money moving around and liability involved.

Liability waivers are a good idea.

The separate bank account is a good idea too.  I have received several payments via PayPal over the previous 4 races.  With 5 or 6+ potential events for 2010.  That money moving around, especially electronically, can easily exceed $10k which might raise some eyebrows with the IRS.  I am not saying it is going to happen but they probably see it as income.

Initially, I did form get a DBA which just established a sole proprietorship in Texas and opened a separate bank account.  I never did anything with it though and shut down the account after the first race.

I think you have some good ideas and it may be a good idea for other teams to consider.  It all seems pointless unless someone gets hurt and an angry spouse comes after the car owner.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

I live in SC and setting up an LLC here isn't that complicated, just a 110 filing fee with the state.  I created an LLC that owns the racecar and everybody drives for the LLC, not me personally.  I did this mainly for liability protection.

i don't see how this could possibly make things more simple.

attorney and filing fees should be counted against the $500

You can file these things yourself.

I don't think they should count toward the $500 nor are they car costs. 

They are team costs like the beer tab. 

I wouldn't knock someone for being organized and responsible.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

I understand where your concerns are, but maybe you're overthinking it.

The way we do it, each guy contributes $100 per month and an "equal" share of time working on the build (we don't count exactly, just keep a mental note on who does/doesn't show up).  Our money is kept in a small safe in the garage, and we have a very basic spreadsheet which keeps track of where the money came from and where it goes.  Simple as that.  When the race is over, we will vote on whether to distribute back any spare $$ (if any) or whether to escrow it for future races.

Before we started we made an agreement that any member of our team who drops out for any reason is NOT entitled to his share of the money back.

IMO, registering the car is totally pointless.  First of all, it's an unnecessary expense.  Secondly, the car is VERY likely to be inoperative by the end of the race; then you're boned.   Third, simple trailers are cheap and if you're going to keep racing, you'll eventually need one anyway.  Just buck up and buy one.  Plus, you'll be amazed how useful it is for hauling furniture/firewood/etc.

We have the opposite problem as you regarding ownership:  our car has no title, and we've all decided that no one has any desire to own the car!  So, someone's gonna get screwed out of a parking spot eventually, or the car will be sold/crushed, unless we want to race it again...who knows?

--Bob

If it ain't broken, fix it 'til it is.

I'm still looking around.  I see one place to start is something like
www.myllcagreement.com

8 (edited by Mulry 2010-01-12 12:47 PM)

I understand where you're coming from, Mike. I had sort of the same idea about a year ago when my team started off on this venture. Most of what you are talking about is quite sensible and displays well-organized thought; it is therefore antithetical to the very nature of Lemons. smile

The big downside of a corporate entity (let's say it's an LLC) owning all the assets is that there's a lot of administrative headache to go along with having a corporate entity. Taxes have to be filed, corporate records updated, etc. Insurance for a corporation with multiple drivers is often more expensive than it would be if you insured the car on your personal policy, and even then who's going to insure the car when the one thing that's almost certain is that it is, to some extent, intended to be wrecked in the course of its normal use?

The main draw of "incorporating" a Lemons team is to shield the individuals from liability, but that isn't going to work either unless none of the individuals work on the car and you have all the work sourced out. Which is, of course, effectively impossible in an event that limits the value of your crapcan to $500 or less. The scenario you envision is something like this: Driver/Member X crashes the car in testing/race and is seriously injured/killed as a result of the crash. Driver X (and/or his estate) is looking to sue everybody and anybody to recover his medical costs/funeral costs, personal injury/death, etc. Any plaintiff's lawyer is going to sue not only Your Lemons Car Shell Org., LLC, but also every individual member in their individual capacity who did any work on that car or who touched any part of it. After all, YLCSO, LLC has very few assets and it can't pay off any judgment, whereas each of you individually has a homeowner's policy that will probably pay off something. And then every member is going to get grilled about what they did, and since (ostensibly) none or few of your members are professional race car engineers or mechanics, you will be charged (civilly) with negligence and/or gross negligence for your failure to produce a safe race car. And the fact that you knew that you were borderline incompetent (the plaintiff's lawyer's words, not mine) and formed an LLC for that very reason will be used as evidence against you in that trial.

In other words, your shield will be turned on edge and used against you. Your only solace is that Jay and his Lemons crew will be your co-defendants, so you'll at least be able to spend some quality time with Our Mighty Leader as you sit through endless depositions.

IOW, in my cold, dark heart, it makes less sense to deal with all the administrative burdens for little to no effect.

What it seems like tends to happen with most Lemons teams is that a group of guys gets together to do the race, and then after that race most of the original group have had their fill and flake out and are pretty much content to be done with it. The survivors assume "ownership" of the cars that are left over and find new dummies to join them for the next race. Most of the time, each team becomes over a couple of races an organization with one or maybe 2 leaders  who own most of the car(s) and most of the stuff and who contribute most of the time/effort/money/vision/dedication/insanity to keep it going.

Bear in mind that the more "professional" you make an organization, the higher a standard to which it is held. If it's just a bunch of idiots wrenching on a car in a garage in their spare time, the standard is pretty low. If you get it all put together and packaged nicely, a jury of your peers is going to expect more from you. YMMV. Good luck.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:

I understand where you're coming from, Mike. I had sort of the same idea about a year ago when my team started off on this venture. Most of what you are talking about is quite sensible and displays well-organized thought; it is therefore antithetical to the very nature of Lemons. smile

The big downside of a corporate entity (let's say it's an LLC) owning all the assets is that there's a lot of administrative headache to go along with having a corporate entity. Taxes have to be filed, corporate records updated, etc. Insurance for a corporation with multiple drivers is often more expensive than it would be if you insured the car on your personal policy, and even then who's going to insure the car when the one thing that's almost certain is that it is, to some extent, intended to be wrecked in the course of its normal use?

The main draw of "incorporating" a Lemons team is to shield the individuals from liability, but that isn't going to work either unless none of the individuals work on the car and you have all the work sourced out. Which is, of course, effectively impossible in an event that limits the value of your crapcan to $500 or less. The scenario you envision is something like this: Driver/Member X crashes the car in testing/race and is seriously injured/killed as a result of the crash. Driver X (and/or his estate) is looking to sue everybody and anybody to recover his medical costs/funeral costs, personal injury/death, etc. Any plaintiff's lawyer is going to sue not only Your Lemons Car Shell Org., LLC, but also every individual member in their individual capacity who did any work on that car or who touched any part of it. After all, YLCSO, LLC has very few assets and it can't pay off any judgment, whereas each of you individually has a homeowner's policy that will probably pay off something. And then every member is going to get grilled about what they did, and since (ostensibly) none or few of your members are professional race car engineers or mechanics, you will be charged (civilly) with negligence and/or gross negligence for your failure to produce a safe race car. And the fact that you knew that you were borderline incompetent (the plaintiff's lawyer's words, not mine) and formed an LLC for that very reason will be used as evidence against you in that trial.

In other words, your shield will be turned on edge and used against you. Your only solace is that Jay and his Lemons crew will be your co-defendants, so you'll at least be able to spend some quality time with Our Mighty Leader as you sit through endless depositions.

IOW, in my cold, dark heart, it makes less sense to deal with all the administrative burdens for little to no effect.

What it seems like tends to happen with most Lemons teams is that a group of guys gets together to do the race, and then after that race most of the original group have had their fill and flake out and are pretty much content to be done with it. The survivors assume "ownership" of the cars that are left over and find new dummies to join them for the next race. Most of the time, each team becomes over a couple of races an organization with one or maybe 2 leaders  who own most of the car(s) and most of the stuff and who contribute most of the time/effort/money/vision/dedication/insanity to keep it going.

Bear in mind that the more "professional" you make an organization, the higher a standard to which it is held. If it's just a bunch of idiots wrenching on a car in a garage in their spare time, the standard is pretty low. If you get it all put together and packaged nicely, a jury of your peers is going to expect more from you. YMMV. Good luck.

Well put Counselor...

"These books behind me don't just make the office look good, they're filled with useful legal tidbits just like that!"

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

well said, Mulry.

the lesson is to not have people on your team who (or whose families) will sue you if they get hurt/kilt.  the bottom line is that we all understand and accept the risks inherent in what we're doing; by getting in the car and pulling out on track, we assume those risks.

it will be a sad day (and the beginning of the end) for Lemons when worrying about which team member is going to sue the rest is a major consideration.  let's not let it come to that.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Reading that makes me want to bail out of this whole thing, thanks Mulry.

The Cannonball Bandits | Facebook Fan Page | Unununium Medal Winners 2010
3X Organizer's Choice Winner 2010 - Sears Pointless, Goin' For Broken, Arse Sweat-A-Palooza
1X Organizer's Choice Winner 2011 - Arse Sweat-A-Palooza

Mulry has excellent points

while an LLC is an excellent idea..... in my limited experience at Lemons & after talking to gristly old veterans it appears that a true "team" concept where everyone is precisely equals never-EVER works out....  Its a division of labor thing.... and the two largest "needs" for a Lemons racer is $$$$ and labor (sweat equity)....  I've found that its somewhat easy to find one or the other...but its RARE to have someone invested with both (other than yourself)..... everyone loves the concept of a Lemons racer and says they want to do it-help out...but when it becomes time to WORK on the car...or buy stuff....very few actually step up....  its the nature of the beast......if you have a core team of say 4 guys who do step up with labor and $$$$ you are VERY LUCKY...keep them!!

So I decided to move forward with the team as MY car...so I decide who drives, who pays and for what.....  which typically consists of me paying for everything and getting some $$$ back from drivers after races.... 

in the end this is the best solution.....any race team needs a Team OWNER-manager to call the shots.....

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Jeeeze... now I am having second thoughts about having Mulry race with us at Sears.
What if he gets a paper cut? or or worse.. bruises his knee getting out of the car after his 2 hour stint. big_smile He could own the whole car when he gets through with us.

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

This is gonna sound like a question from someone who doesn't live in the US, but here goes: if you set up a LLC for the expressed purpose of limiting liability, i.e. not as a profit-making enterprise, won't a judge/jury see through it and "pierce the corporate veil"?....Up here you have to demonstrate a reasonable expectation that the business is a going concern or you're still liable......or maybe just race with friends and nice people...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

We started out with the team-as-corporation concept, with the team owning the car (in spirit if not in legal fact).  Anyone joining or leaving the team needed to buy or sell their shares.  It got to where the "equity" in the team was so high that we had difficult recruiting drivers when we needed them.  3 races later I've decided that the easiest thing to do is for me to "own" the car and have anyone interested in racing buy in/out from me at a set price for every race. 

We split expenses evenly, but those who contribute the most sweat equity get to drive first.  The expenses spreadsheet is a shared google doc so everyone can see how the money swirls down the drain.

I think it is good to title and insure your car if you can keep it street legal.  It really helps testing if you can take it for a spin around the block without getting arrested.  Good luck mpled.  You're thinking things through correctly, but enshrining it in a legal document is just going to make things harder, not easier.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

I am going to keep my mouth shut! Corp,LLC,contracts!!! what ever happened to a drunk bet written on the back of a bar tab receipt!!!!!!

From the Corporate offices of Pendejo Corp doing business as Pendejo South LLC

Humbly the MAXIMO Pendejo

jimeditorial wrote:

This is gonna sound like a question from someone who doesn't live in the US, but here goes: if you set up a LLC for the expressed purpose of limiting liability, i.e. not as a profit-making enterprise, won't a judge/jury see through it and "pierce the corporate veil"?....Up here you have to demonstrate a reasonable expectation that the business is a going concern or you're still liable......or maybe just race with friends and nice people...

*not legal advice* *not legal advice* *not legal advice*

smile

limitation of liability is really the only reason anyone ever incorporates...it is basically the only reason for the existence of the corporate form.  why else would you go through the trouble and pay double taxes?

piercing the veil occurs only when the principals are abusing the corporate form and using the corporation as their own; commingling funds, etc.  the simple fact that the principals have deeper pockets than the corporation isn't generally enough to pierce the veil.  piercing the veil is not easy to do; courts typically give a lot of deference to that decision.  but it's also a very fact-intensive analysis.

if i never hear another mention of lawyers or lawsuits on this board again, i will be a happy man.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

craznoe wrote:

Lemons or life? smile

Bender/StickFigureRacing wrote:

Jeeeze... now I am having second thoughts about having Mulry race with us at Sears. What if he gets a paper cut? or or worse.. bruises his knee getting out of the car after his 2 hour stint. big_smile He could own the whole car when he gets through with us.

Paul, what on Earth makes you think that I'm going to stop at the car?

Buzz Killington wrote:

if i never hear another mention of lawyers or lawsuits on this board again, i will be a happy man.

Amen!

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Pendejo wrote:

I am going to keep my mouth shut! Corp,LLC,contracts!!! what ever happened to a drunk bet written on the back of a bar tab receipt!!!!!!

From the Corporate offices of Pendejo Corp doing business as Pendejo South LLC

Humbly the MAXIMO Pendejo

I'm a legend in my own mind.....I wonder it that has any legal protections?

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

icemang17 wrote:

So I decided to move forward with the team as MY car...so I decide who drives, who pays and for what.....  which typically consists of me paying for everything and getting some $$$ back from drivers after races.... 

in the end this is the best solution.....any race team needs a Team OWNER-manager to call the shots.....

This was my "business" model.  I wanted to go, I wanted to race, out of the pool of 15 people who initially said they would go, it distilled down to 4 plus me that were commited in the end.  We had a great time, and they are all hooked.  Maybe it will be easier to get money out of them this time, but if not, I still want to race, and we will again make it happen.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

I have a spread sheet setup that we used for both events with the Q45 to track money in and money out plus what there was for carryover has totaling on all the columns and a carry over area if anyone wants it to track their car costs email me and I will send it to you.

Lastly my input on the whole business thing, without a pretty significant insurance policy you wont really be able to protect yourself from being sued, the best thing is to just race with people you trust...and dont hit people while driving in the pits.

Formerly an asshole driving an Infinity
Now just another cock with a Porsche
Chief bad decision maker of Team Lowbrau

Buzz Killington wrote:

the lesson is to not have people on your team who (or whose families) will sue you if they get hurt/kilt.

I bet our executors won't have happy thoughts about racing, Lemons, and our teams if we get killed. Now if I get a kilt, my wife might die laughing.

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.

Thus, the real lesson is this: don't die. Immortality trumps all.

Mulry wrote:
craznoe wrote:

Lemons or life? smile

Lets start with just Lemons, and hope for the best with the rest. ;-)

The Cannonball Bandits | Facebook Fan Page | Unununium Medal Winners 2010
3X Organizer's Choice Winner 2010 - Sears Pointless, Goin' For Broken, Arse Sweat-A-Palooza
1X Organizer's Choice Winner 2011 - Arse Sweat-A-Palooza

Prior to all this, I would have thought a corporation would be the best yet most complicated way to go.

Mostly, I just wanted to set up a separate bank account.  This also allows you to have a separate PayPal account.  You could run it all through a PayPal account as the bank.

A personal PayPal account only allows you to accept like $500 a month.  It's the new and improved PayPal compared to the $1000-2000 cap from years ago.  While I lose money to PayPal for each payment I receive, it allows people to pay with a credit card now too.  I just wish I didn't pay fees on other stuff I get paid for.

PayPal is making a nice surcharge on Lemons. 

Bank accounts aside, some kind of liability waiver is probably a good idea.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z