Topic: $500 car?

It seems there is a progression.  It seems like cars that are $500 ones in their first race become $1000 in their second and $1500 in their third.  Money spent on 'repairs' is actually money spent on upgrades.  Am I right?

I don't really know but clearly some money must be spent on a $500 car to get it fit for race 2.  And isn't this money additive to the first $500?

Forgive me, I'm an accountant...and kind of literal.  Are we talking about a $500 car or a car that seems like $500?

“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

Re: $500 car?

In the rules is section 4.8 residual value.  Basically send a note to Nick and they tell you what the car is worth.

Team Apex Vinyl: 1977 Toyota Truck
Gator-O-Rama 2009 Dangerous Banned Technology
Yee-Haw 2011 Index Of Effluency
Gator-O-Rama 2012 I Got Screwed

Squidbreath, the car is literally supposed to be $500 as raced aside from safety gear.  Car's with more potential like Miatas and E30 BMWs get more scrutiny than cars with less potential like a Fiat, Pacer, Gremlin and so on.

After the first race, the car can have a residual, say $350.  That means you have $150 budget to work with.  If you have reaming parts you can use as Scavenger sales, you may sell that stuff off to help with the budget too.

The $500 is supposed to literally be $500 aside from items which are considered safety.  There is a lot of required and necessary safety equipment to get a car race ready.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Residual value is kinda hard to figure. For example, our Miata would carry a higher residual value than our MX6 would, for good reason. The Miata seems to stay reliable and ready to race, and given a $500 per race budget, it would get pretty damned fast, and defiantly cheaty. We stick to the budget honestly, and for the next race we are changing the oil and brake pads. We are also painting a new theme, all of that mess with still be under $100.

The MX6 was blown up royally after the last race. We spent $175 buying it to begin with, and luckily most of the parts are available dirty cheap from the hundreds of 626's in the boneyards. We put it up for grabs last year, and got no offers, we even tried to give it away, but had no takers. I bought an engine complete used for $150, and a t3 turbo for $50. (the car is a gt and was turbo'd factory and a junk pos at that) so we can run it again. We are keeping in mind how cheap the car was to begin with, and doing the new engine VERY cheaply to stay under budget.

I guess for us it boils down to the honor system, since we are spending very little and will still have a cheaply put together POS, it works out.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

I think i get it.  The residual value concept makes sense.  Thank you.

“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

Baron wrote:

Residual value is kinda hard to figure. For example, our Miata would carry a higher residual value than our MX6 would, for good reason. The Miata seems to stay reliable and ready to race, and given a $500 per race budget, it would get pretty damned fast, and defiantly cheaty...

Huh?  Residual value isn't hard to figure at all.  After a race, you email Jay and tell him what you have, and what failed miserably during the race.  Based on what he remembers of your car, how you finished, and whatever else he wants to pull out of his ass, he gives you a residual value.  Like stated above, you have the difference between that value and the $500 limit to work with.  If he gives you a $480 value, you have a whopping $20 to work with.

There is no $500 per race budget.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Our residual is $250.

We need  a junk yard transmission that will cost $150, so we will have $100 for cheaty mods...

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

Jeff G 78 wrote:
Baron wrote:

Residual value is kinda hard to figure. For example, our Miata would carry a higher residual value than our MX6 would, for good reason. The Miata seems to stay reliable and ready to race, and given a $500 per race budget, it would get pretty damned fast, and defiantly cheaty...

Huh?  Residual value isn't hard to figure at all.  After a race, you email Jay and tell him what you have, and what failed miserably during the race.  Based on what he remembers of your car, how you finished, and whatever else he wants to pull out of his ass, he gives you a residual value.  Like stated above, you have the difference between that value and the $500 limit to work with.  If he gives you a $480 value, you have a whopping $20 to work with.

There is no $500 per race budget.

That is exactly what I said.  I was using the $500 per race as an example of why we have a residual value.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs