Topic: Miata for Lemons? overdone?

Hey everyone, just wondering how the NA Miatas tend to fare in these competitions? Are they too easy of a build or do people enjoy them because they are so easy to make ridiculous?

Cheers!
-Doug

Re: Miata for Lemons? overdone?

If you are looking for a win....from what I have heard the 1.6 are too slow to really compete in class A but are never going to be class B.  don't know if you can fit a large enough fuel cell in the back of one and try and compete with real long stints.
If you are looking for a fun momentum car to hone your skills that is cheap on gas, tires and brake pads then go for it.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Pretty much sums it up.  Miata will always be class A, even in stock form.  Even mild upgrades will likely end up with penalty laps. 
If you want to win something, bring something interesting.

-Nathan - Team Captain, Priority Fail Racing
1997 Golf GTI VR6 Mid Engine

I've also heard its pretty impossible to put a big enough cell in (other than paying lots for some custom tank) to even try and win with long stints.

They dominated early on but don't seem like the best choice for a win, and considered to boring or easy for an interesting angle.  However shouldn't be to hard to make one that would run all weekend if you are just looking to race and have fun.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

The spirit of Lemons is building and fielding a car that has no business being on a race track.  The Miata is the most raced car in North America (probably the world).  If you build and race a Miata, you've already missed that point.  That's why Miatas and 3 series BMW's are scrutinized so closely in the BS inspections.

As far as being "easy to make ridiculous", there isn't anything you can do to a Miata that you couldn't do to some other less track worthy car.

2012 North Dallas Hooptie Judge's Choice Winners
If life gives you Lemons, install racing brakes!
https://www.facebook.com/JoBoRacing

Do this instead. 

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/5179634819.html

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

Go make something really crappy that goes - People will wander into your paddock - talk to you and drink all your liquor.

You should PM Judge Phil - He always has good ideas.

This space for rent.

8 (edited by Tyler H 2015-09-11 10:08 AM)

The people at the epicenter of Lemons seem to like rolling around in the sand and fire ants underneath a busted ass, hot, greasy race car.  If that sounds like you, the Miata is the wrong car.  Try Chrysler products if you want all of the pain of breaking, but generally good parts availability.  After that, you can graduate to eastern European bloc products.

NSF wrote:

You should PM Judge Phil - He always has ideas that will ruin your marriage, push you into bankruptcy, and chew away at your sanity like a pack of rabid chipmunks.

FTFY.

Still, having Judge Phil choose a project for you means that you can get budget exemptions and an entry to pretty much any race of your choosing.

~ Van

13X losers (or is 14 now?) refusing to learn from our failures.
Organizer's Choice!  Trophy should have a bottle opener on it.

wow, thanks for all the awesome feedback. that happened qiuck. haha

by no means would I be looking for a car to win in, I'd just be looking to go screw around. The main reason I ask is because I have a miata that is no longer worthy of anything besides something like this, which led me to asking if it's a viable starting point. (I also have it listed in the for sale section just for shits and giggles).

Realistically, I'd love to build it into a mad-max/rally style car that is geared completely toward the opposite of road-course style racing and then throw some wacky motor in it to ruin its reliability and gain some cred with the judges. Granted, I need to read through the rules some more and see what I'm even dealing with since I've never even attended a Lemons event yet.

I also have access to a dead mercedes benz 190e with the 8 valve engine. Should be terribly slow and unreliable.
Better starting point or still too capable?

doughboy118 wrote:

I also have access to a dead mercedes benz 190e with the 8 valve engine. Should be terribly slow and unreliable.
Better starting point or still too capable?

Put in 3.0 5 cyl Diesel engine into that. Have fun wink

https://www.facebook.com/greatglobsofoil/
This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu(C>B>C>B) , 1996 Nissan Maxima OnlyFans (B) , Sold 1996 Ford Probe GT(B),

doughboy118 wrote:

by no means would I be looking for a car to win in, I'd just be looking to go screw around. The main reason I ask is because I have a miata that is no longer worthy of anything besides something like this, which led me to asking if it's a viable starting point. (I also have it listed in the for sale section just for shits and giggles).

Realistically, I'd love to build it into a mad-max/rally style car that is geared completely toward the opposite of road-course style racing and then throw some wacky motor in it to ruin its reliability and gain some cred with the judges. Granted, I need to read through the rules some more and see what I'm even dealing with since I've never even attended a Lemons event yet.

Well, in that case, put a different body on it.

Team OK-Speed : Civic Tape-R and Spec Piñata (RIP)
2011 Heaps in the Heart of Texas - I Got Screwed || 2012 Yee-Haw, It's Lemons Texas - Judges Choice
2012 North Dallas Hooptie - Personal Scolding from Jay "Award" || 2012 Heaps in the Heart of Texas - Judges Choice
2014 Shine Country Classic - Heroic Fix || 2015 Doing Time in Joliet - Class B Win!

doughboy118 wrote:

...by no means would I be looking for a car to win in, I'd just be looking to go screw around...

You'll fit right in.

BTW, fielding something that "has no business on a race track" doesn't mean you have to show up with something certain to critically fail 15 minutes into Saturday racing, that's the realm of class C.   

There are two other classes out there.  Class B - "that just might run all weekend", and Class A - "If it does run all weekend, it just might win".

If you are considering a car, go to an internet enthusiasts forum dedicated to it.  You'll find one.  If there is a section on racing and the performance upgrades desired to go racing, then your car is gonna get extra scrutiny in the BS inspections.

2012 North Dallas Hooptie Judge's Choice Winners
If life gives you Lemons, install racing brakes!
https://www.facebook.com/JoBoRacing

15 (edited by CTSparky 2015-09-29 04:16 PM)

We run a miata with a 1.6. With some mild engine work or turbo you can have a fun reliable momentum car.  We typically finish  just under the top 10.

If you have a ace or two as drivers and run a clean race and run on a very twisty course you could win.

Stints for us are limited to 1.5 hours due to fuel consumption.

Wear on the car is fairly minimal. Just replace the front hubs every race.

We have fun and drink beer.  People call us cheaters,  so we are doing something right.

We just aren't as fast as the E36 or the Volvo. 

With a 1.8 and some work you would likely have good power.

DNF Racing 1992 Mazda Miata
"Cheat to win"

^ replace front hubs every race?  what's that about?

HAZE33 wrote:

^ replace front hubs every race?  what's that about?

In Spec Miata we do it every season.    There's a ritual tossing of the front hubs, it involves lots of beer.

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

what's the reason?  and you replace with brand new ones?  sounds expensive...

19 (edited by OnkelUdo 2015-09-30 01:47 AM)

HAZE33 wrote:

Some cars hubs last many races, some just one, some are unpredictable.

Our Saturn has non-unit hubs and replacing the bearings trackside looses HOURS which is many, many laps.  The Miata fronts appear to be unitized but the fact that Flyin's Miata sells "blueprinted" hubs for those that race tells me they fail...a lot.  Besides, only four lug studs mean you have none to spare.

If the cost of new hubs each race scares you, please read the multiple threads on what it costs to field a car...it is eye-opening for those who think it is cheap racing...when it is actually just cheaper than most.

20 (edited by Hamsa9 2015-09-29 06:15 PM)

OnkelUdo wrote:
HAZE33 wrote:

Some cars hubs last many races, some just one, some are unpredictable.

Our Saturn has non-unit hubs and replacing the bearings trackside looses HOURS which is many, many laps.  The Miata fronts appear to be unitized but the fact that Flyin's Miata sells "blueprinted" hubs for those that race tells me the fail...a lot.  Besides, only four lug studs mean you have none to spare.

If the cost of new hubs each race scares you, please read the multiple threads on what it costs to field a car...it is eye-opening for those who thing it is cheap racing...when it is actually just cheaper than most.

Going to try to dig up the link now, but a couple of physicist racers racing spec e30 determined that in one 24 hour race, approximately 50,000 miles of wear damage was done on the chassis and engine. So make your cost calculations off of that. 

A weekend of class A racing costs ~$3600 ($4/min)

If it takes 3 hours from failure to get towed in, diagnose, jack up, remove $ replace a hub, recheck alignment, and get back on track, that was a $650 cost in racing time lost (not counting parts cost, and crediting $70 in fuel not used).

If a part is expected to fail in <100k mi, it gets replaced every race because the cost of replacing it early is less than the price of its cost of off track replacment time.

This is budget racing but it is still staggeringly expensive.

Hamsa
(Married to a German economist...)

He's a new man now, part of the machine,
His nerves of metal and his blood oil.
The clutch curses, but the gears obey,
His least bidding, and lo, he's away.

Hello,

I am a Nigerian Prince. I have a FORTUNE IN IRON DUKES, if only someone would wire me one miata to install one in, I could make them VERY Lemons WEALTHY.

Prince Bob

Captain of Virtuous Authority and Tool Underdevelopment: Escape Velocity Racing
- Ten+ Time Loser
- IOE, Heroic Fix, Class C and Class of 1964
- Heroic Beer Drinker

22 (edited by Sir Thomas Crapper 2015-10-05 10:38 AM)

CaptainCardigan wrote:

Hello,

I am a Nigerian Prince. I have a FORTUNE IN IRON DUKES, if only someone would wire me one miata to install one in, I could make them VERY Lemons WEALTHY.

Prince Bob

Prince Bob,

I have an almost free miata, but you must first wire transfer me some of those iron dukes before I can release it to you...

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

23 (edited by ninjacoco 2015-10-05 04:47 PM)

Miatas are overdone EEEEEEVERYWHERE. And they get something wrong: butt turrible hooptie Porsche is always the answer. Especially if a 914 swap is involved. Not swapping the 914 with a different, over-swapped-in engine--that's usually bad and dumb unless it's an aircooled flat six or something totally ridiculous like a rotary. No. Put that 914 engine in err'thang.

doughboy118 wrote:

This sounds like it would rule.

It's just a Miata, laying around? Shoot, build what you want and go have fun. You have the beige Corolla of track cars, but it's *that* boring to see on a race track because it's just competent at what it was made for: twisty sections of road. You probably won't win Class A in it. You definitely won't win IOE. But you'll have a decent enough little race car to do whatever in. Over-theme it, run it, have a blast.

And for Pete's sake, take it off-road. People rallycross relatively stock examples down here and it looks like a stupid drifty blast. Might want a roof on it, though.

ninjacoco wrote:

Miatas are overdone

Well, I am not sure I would agree. I've looked at some past results, the ones where they have car info, and the ratio between e30 and miata is close to 10:1 I have a feeling that there were more Volvo 240s and merkur xrtis at all the races I've attended.

Obviously I am far from objective since building a Miata myself smile

Overdone? Yes.
Does that mean you shouldn't race one? No.

Drive what you want in Lemons. If you're in California, a Miata might get you waitlisted if you're boring about it, but other than that, you shouldn't have any problem going racing. They're cheap, reliable, easy to drive, easy to work on, and easy to upgrade. You'll get some extra scrutiny during BS Inspection, but if you're good neighbors on the track and in the paddock, no one will give you any real grief.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com