Topic: Trailer Tires???

I need new tires on my car trailer. It came 205/70-15 car tires when I bought it. Since two failed on the way to Thunderhill, I am in the market for some new tires, Since it is an all steel solid deck trailer & we would never overload it, I am thinking some Load range E tires are needed. What does this community recommend?

Tired Iron Racing, Class A Winner of 2023 Days of Thunder & the Hooptie-Con Engine heat Cooking Competition, otherwise just a 50x loser, which is somehow able to finish in the top ten, if we don't step on our own dicks.

Re: Trailer Tires???

I'd suggest 8 ply trailer tires.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

LT E load.

I run Maxxis M8008 10 ply, 8 ply spare.

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook

If there is a "P" on the sidewall, it stands for "passenger car." This refers to the U.S. (P-metric) method of tire sizing. "LT" stands for Light Truck, "ST" is for Special Trailer and "T" stands for Temporary, which is primarily used for small spare tires.

It Ain't My Fault

trailer tires, only trailer tires.  Radials if you can swing the coin.  Don't mix radials and bias plies on the same axle.  get the highest load rating you can.  Run the max PSI on the sidewall.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

After my first set nearly stranded us on the pass when we went over the mountains to pick up our current heap, er, car, I replaced all four with Kenda Loadstar load range D tires.  So far I'm pretty happy with them.  Trailer is a 27' enclosed rated for 10K gross.

I think on the first set, it was either A) they were junk, which is entirely possible, or B) when I first started towing I was probably pushing them a little too much (driving 75 MPH) and I think they got too hot and the rubber broke down.  There was cord visible in patches on 2 or 3 of them where chunk of rubber had come off.

Now I drive at 60 MPH max and that's it.  And +1 on checking the pressures often and keeping them at the max listed on the sidewall.

Perennial Losers
Mazda 787b aka '75 914 - Org Choice @ The Ridge, 2015; IGS @ TH, 2018
BMW M1 Procar aka '80 RX-7 (retired) - Zero awards sad

What mechimike & Mike said.  Always run the pressure noted on the sidewall.  You can expect no more then 5 years of service from them even if only used a few times a year.  I've run Goodyear, Carlisle & other brands with no noticeable differences in wear or performance.

ST tires only and Yes on the Radials if at all possible.

LowBAR Racing

9 (edited by mechimike 2015-09-15 07:51 AM)

What Mike said with regard to speed.  I keep my speed at about 65 mph max when towing.  Those tires get hot, which degrades life.  I can't seem to get 7 years out of any tires nowadays, let alone trailer tires.  I have been staggering them, replacing one a year or so (including the spare), so I'm not hit with a $600 bill all at once.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

I just replaced mine with radial trailer tires.

Talking to the service guy at a very large trailer place that does all sorts of race trailers from open to full size nascar haulers, he commented that you really cant get past 5 years service with the tires due to the heat cycling they experience at speed when towing.

2014 Spring Southern Discomfort- I.O.E. Winner 1956 Crown Vic , Fall CMP 5th place class C Pinto,
2015 Barber 2nd class C Pinto, 2015 Class C WINNER Spring CMP, 2015 Fall CMP Mid pack class B

Fuzzy Blumpkins/GoPher Broke - 1979 Pinto Limited Edition Squire "Titleless", 1988 Merkur XR4TI......why oh why?

CPT_Trans_Continental wrote:

I run Maxxis M8008 10 ply, 8 ply spare.

I run these too.  Even overloaded I've not had issues with them.  Only time I have problems is when I run over a nail and have to get the tire plugged.  I'll probably buy another set when these wear out or give up.

Nick

Nick
Focke Ewe racing -> Muttonheads! Racing -> Torque Junkies
86ish VW GTI...now with TDI Powah!

I;ve had good luck with runway super ST.

i mean, they say super right on them

The Roto-Racer '89 Merkur:  If it ain't rusting, It ain't racing.

'14 Real Hoopties of NJ: Judges Choice

13 (edited by MikeZilla 2015-09-17 09:40 AM)

Thanks for the input. In doing some research,  I will probably just get them from Tire Rack. They have Goodyear & Power King.  They have the same tread & are both made in China, I am sure they are made in the same facility as are probably 90% of all of the trailer tires out there.  I was  hoping for some insight into which tire out there was really the best. Since the car tires have lasted the  4 years I have had the trailer, any trailer tire has to be better,  especially if I have to replace them in 5 years anyway. The Power King is available in Load range E, so I will probably get that one.

Tired Iron Racing, Class A Winner of 2023 Days of Thunder & the Hooptie-Con Engine heat Cooking Competition, otherwise just a 50x loser, which is somehow able to finish in the top ten, if we don't step on our own dicks.

I like E Trailer and Kenda Karriers.

For D tires get radial Karrier ST205/75R15

For E tires get Karrier ST225/75R15 (if the wider tire will fit)

Bacon, oh bacon
Bacon, bacon, oh bacon
Love in five letters

MikeZilla wrote:

Thanks for the input. In doing some research,  I will probably just get them from Tire Rack. They have Goodyear & Power King.  They have the same tread & are both made in China, I am sure they are made in the same facility as are probably 90% of all of the trailer tires out there.  I was  hoping for some insight into which tire out there was really the best. Since the car tires have lasted the  4 years I have had the trailer, any trailer tire has to be better,  especially if I have to replace them in 5 years anyway. The Power King is available in Load range E, so I will probably get that one.

I run power kings on my 18' open trailer, like them, never had issues, been on the trailer for 3ish years still look brand new, helps the probably only get 200-500 miles a year, lol

I've ripped through 3 original tires on my 7K 20' enclosed trailer. They were all load range C. I'm moving up to 8 ply LR D. ST205/70R15.

But I'm also going to do some looking at the sheet metal near the rear set of tires. Its seems I keep killing those. So, I'm either always overloaded to the rear, or maybe those get more up and down and are hitting the trailer? Anyway things to check before the haul to MILLER!

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche