Re: Rudezon 2 stroke V8

hoverducky wrote:

Actually, that car (now with Yamaha power) holds the Lemons track record at Chuckwalla by something like .7 seconds, which makes it the fastest thing on at least that track.

Scott

I misworded my meaning. Not the fastest in a straight line. Amazingly quick though

Planet Express
"IOE" "C Win" 4834.701 Race Miles and counting
Toyocedes
"Least Southern Pickup Truck" "IOE" "C win" "C win (again?)"

addict#52 wrote:

Sweetness, I've got a arctic cat ( ahm Suzuki) 700 I've been looking to use in a project just haven't found the right thing...

We're running a Mountain Max 700.

The hot ticket would be a fuel-injected liter twin, preferably direct-injected.  I like (well, in theory anyway) the sound of our triple, but I do get tired of jetting all the damn carbs, and the twins make their power lower down, which would better suit our final drive ratio.  We're geared to like 183 MPH at the moment.

Another nice thing about triples: when you drop a cylinder you can just re-clutch for the lower horsepower and keep racing.  Not that we've had to do that more than twice.

Scott

hoverducky wrote:
addict#52 wrote:

Sweetness, I've got a arctic cat ( ahm Suzuki) 700 I've been looking to use in a project just haven't found the right thing...

We're running a Mountain Max 700.

The hot ticket would be a fuel-injected liter twin, preferably direct-injected.  I like (well, in theory anyway) the sound of our triple, but I do get tired of jetting all the damn carbs, and the twins make their power lower down, which would better suit our final drive ratio.  We're geared to like 183 MPH at the moment.

Another nice thing about triples: when you drop a cylinder you can just re-clutch for the lower horsepower and keep racing.  Not that we've had to do that more than twice.

Scott

Nice, I would definitely love to pick your brain on your setup some time

There's a build thread around here someplace.  I think John called it something like "How we built Balto the wonder Miata".  I don't recall whether it has been updated for the Yamaha re-power or not.  The car originally (well, not _originally_ originally) had a Polaris 600XLT in it.  Interesting engine, very kerplodey.

Scott

I was thinking last night do you think you could run the half shaft to say a powerglide or would that murder the clutch and drive belt? Could give a little more grunt out of the corners

The car will spin the tires from a dead stop.  We autocrossed it once and it was launching harder than the Z06 that was right ahead of it in line.  Yeah, I had to trim the kevlar "hairs" off the sides of the belt after every run, but that's beside the point

An underdrive unit would be nice just to let us use more of the available range of the clutch.  Right now we live in a very narrow part of the range and it wears stuff out.  Also, the snowmobile belt drives are most efficient just below 1:1, so having that be a little below our practical top speed would be cool.  It maths out to 135mph at 1:1 as it stands.

But, you know, weight.

Scott

Couldn't you run a secondary half shaft and chain drive it to the ratio you wanted?

We've considered it, but have been saving the chain-drive idea for Balto's hypothetical liter-bike-powered sister car.

Scott