Re: Cage tubing question

VKZ24 wrote:

Wow.  If that is so, a LOT of us are screwed that are building new cars for upcoming events.  I'm sure finding a reasonably priced caged of that design is more than likely non-existent.

Yes.  That is the conclusion that a lot of us have come to and I'm not entirely sure that was what was intended. 

And although the autopower cages are legal for SCCA and NASA, the way that the rules are written they are not legal for Lemons currently for future builds and you will be forced to make a custom cage.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

RobL wrote:

I was actually coming over here to post about that.  None of the cages that I have done have this.  I think that examples are needed.

As far as the front continuous hoop, this is what has now become mandatory:
http://www.hoverd.org/Tim/Fury/images/r … ign_01.gif

As opposed to (Left and Right bars):
http://speed-eng.com/store/images/Roll%20Cage.jpg

or (Halo loop):
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_li … awing1.gif

edit:added descriptions to the pictures

Thanks for posting these pix, they are very helpful. ALL THREE OF THESE DESIGNS ARE LEGAL. The "continuous" language is a little tricky--but one-piece front hoops, left/right hoops, and "halo" designs are all acceptable. What we want to avoid are main structural elements of the cage being made of sectioned-together pieces of tube.

Bolt-up Autopower cages like this are also legal:

http://www.autopowerindustries.com/Images/med/DSC_2840.jpg

It's highly recommended but not required to weld the bolt-up sleeves (there's really no reason not to weld these, though....).

We understand the confusion surrounding the "continuous" wording--we may indeed tweak this. Basically, what we're trying to avoid is any of the main load-bearing members of a cage being made from sectioned-together tubing.

As far as getting 360-degree welds up top--cutting access holes in the roof may indeed be the best bet. I can't really be more specific than that due to varying cage/roof/a-pillar layouts.

Okay, that answers a lot of questions.  It's not written in the rules that way, but it answers a lot of questions.  Thanks.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Nick

Thanks very much for clarifying this point, I know we are pains in the .... but
remember we are your Pains... until we can no longer capable of driving a car and for me that's going to be a long time!

Thanks Paul

Knights of the round track.

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

Hooray! As long as the Autopower cage is legal as shown in that photo WITH THE ADDITION OF A SECOND DOOR BAR, you just removed a lot of stress from several teams.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

LTDScott wrote:

Hooray! As long as the Autopower cage is legal as shown in that photo WITH THE ADDITION OF A SECOND DOOR BAR, you just removed a lot of stress from several teams.

Yes, that's correct. We now know we were too vague on the language there, so thanks to you guys for giving us the heads up. (Even though it was in the patented Lemons guy "panic speech," but that's why we love you guys. You're passionate.)

Well in everyone's defense, having to redo a cage is a major project with Buttonwillow only a couple of months away. If we had to reweld every connection on our cage, I would have had to reconsider submitting my entry (which I still haven't done yet... crap, it's due on Saturday!).

33 (edited by RobL 2009-06-02 12:51 PM)

Nick_LeMonsHQ wrote:

Thanks for posting these pix, they are very helpful. ALL THREE OF THESE DESIGNS ARE LEGAL. The "continuous" language is a little tricky--but one-piece front hoops, left/right hoops, and "halo" designs are all acceptable. What we want to avoid are main structural elements of the cage being made of sectioned-together pieces of tube.

At minimum, cage must include: Full front and rear hoop, appropriately braced to each other along the roofline; two drivers-side door bars (X-design is acceptable); appropriate main-hoop backstays with no bends, located as close to 45 degrees from horizontal as practical; one main-hoop diagonal; appropriate spreader plates and gussets; complete 360-degree welds at all joints. Each major load-bearing member must be formed from its own single, continuous tube.

Thank you Nick.

The continuous part isn't the tricky part - it's the "Full front ... hoop" that is the sticking term in the rule.  That is what is making the design hard.  Doing a cage that way is the worst of all worlds... 

I really hate to point to another organization for rollcage specs but you could look at the SCCA GCR but paraphrasing the IT rollcage rules:

Main roll hoop (behind the driver) shall extend the full width of the driver/passenger compartment, shall be as near the roof as possible, and shall be made of one continuous tube. It shall incorporate at least one diagonal lateral brace to prevent lateral distortion of the hoop.  It is required that a horizontal brace behind the driver’s seat continue from the diagonal to the passenger side main hoop upright or that a second diagonal be installed in the main hoop (this is currently optional in theLeMons rules but makes the main hoop much stronger).  The main roll hoop shall have two unbent braces extending to the rear attaching to the frame or chassis. Braces shall be attached as near as possible to the top of the main hoop and as close to 45 degrees as possible. 

The front or side hoops shall follow the line of the front pillars to the top of the windshield (as close to the roof as possible) then horizontally to the rear attaching to the main hoop. These two side hoops are to be connected together by a tube over the top of the windshield, or
a front hoop following the line of the front pillars and connected by horizontal bars to the main hoop on each side at the top may be used, or a top “halo” hoop following the roof line from the main hoop to the windshield with forward down tubes following the line of the front pillars to the floor.

Two (2) side tubes connecting the front and rear hoops across the drivers door opening are mandatory. NASCAR-style side protection, or one bar bisecting another to form an “X” is permitted.

We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.

RobL wrote:

The front or side hoops shall follow the line of the front pillars to the top of the windshield (as close to the roof as possible) then horizontally to the rear attaching to the main hoop. These two side hoops are to be connected together by a tube over the top of the windshield, or a front hoop following the line of the front pillars and connected by horizontal bars to the main hoop on each side at the top may be used, or a top “halo” hoop following the roof line from the main hoop to the windshield with forward down tubes following the line of the front pillars to the floor.

Rob, that really is a clear way of describing what I think Jay and Nick are getting at.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Lemons is not the first organization to mandate rollcages.  All I did was look in the SCCA GCR and paraphrase some rules.

RobL wrote:

Lemons is not the first organization to mandate rollcages.  All I did was look in the SCCA GCR and paraphrase some rules.

Yeah but I don't think SCCA would listen to rioting racers and reply as quickly as Nick did wink

I think it was more of a kerfuffle verging on mutiny. smile

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Hey Everyone,

I've got a coment about tubing.  DOM starts out as ERW before the seem is smashed/smoothed.  When I was trying to buy additional ERW tubing in Houston last summer, it was hard to find and often times I was quoted DOM with prices from $5-15 a foot. 

I found a deal on some surplus ERW after a lot of phone calls and looking and bought all of it.  Point is. unless you get a deal, DOM is probably not much more expensive, it's better and probaby easier to get.

Our philosophy on the roll cage and it's tubing is if it's welded to the cage, it needs to meet or exceed cage specs.

Regarding 360 degree welds, one trick is to cut the floor where your floor plates will go.  Drop the cage down to weld the top of the bars.  The push it up, weld in the floor plates and you're good.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Troy wrote:

Regarding 360 degree welds, one trick is to cut the floor where your floor plates will go.  Drop the cage down to weld the top of the bars.  The push it up, weld in the floor plates and you're good.

Bingo.  We put holes in the floor up front and leaned the cage forward to weld everything up high.

http://teamdfl.com/Lemons/tip1.jpg

http://teamdfl.com/Lemons/tip2.jpg

Removing the front glass made this a bit easier as well.

http://teamdfl.com/Lemons/tip3.jpg

http://www.ducttapemotorsports.com/
http://www.teamdfl.com
"I can see it now, a pile of nickels and all the glory of being a real race car driver."
Prepping the Red wReck for the 24 Hours of Lemons

Troy wrote:

The thing is we saw quite a few cars with their tubes welded directly to the floor pan with NO foot plates whatsoever.  Without a plate to distribute that kind of point loading, the tube would just punch right through the floor in a roll-over.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

We actually boxed our rails at the tube interface point to stop punch through on the top and colapse of the side-wall.

EWR is very easy to find here in Portland, and it costs less than half of DOM.  The point should also be made that for many teams the weak points will be the crappy welds and not the tubing, anyway.  We're also almost all driving very light cars and the likelihood of bending any of this tubing to the point of any danger is very, very small.  The rollovers we've seen highlight this point - as far as I know there has been no cage failures of any kind.  Anyone else want to chime in?  The B210 at Thill 08 would be a prime example, that car took a beating.

troubleonwheels wrote:

We actually boxed our rails at the tube interface point to stop punch through on the top and colapse of the side-wall.

Got any pics to share?  We plan to install our cage later in the build (we want to be sure we are 'in' first) but any tips and trick are welcome.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Floorplates ? How thick should they be? I've been doing overkill of like 1/4 "

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

VKZ24 wrote:
troubleonwheels wrote:

Got any pics to share?  We plan to install our cage later in the build (we want to be sure we are 'in' first) but any tips and trick are welcome.

Mounting Plate (tube isn't welded yet):
http://schumachertaxiservice.com/mr2webpics/slides/100_1171.jpg

Mounting Box:
http://schumachertaxiservice.com/mr2webpics/slides/100_1294.jpg

fabtoys wrote:

Floorplates ? How thick should they be? I've been doing overkill of like 1/4 "

What we did last year and what we're planning on doing this year is building a cage as close to NASA specifications as practical.  The NASA rulebook is very specific about advised ways of joining tubes, making floor plates (how much area, max/min lengths per side), mounting things, choosing materials, etc.  Just make sure that in the few areas where NASA isn't as stringent as Lemons (tube sizes for light cars) you use the Lemons value.

The rollcage stuff is section 15.6, which starts on page 59.
http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/ccr.pdf

Car to Pit telemetry (OBD2, GPS, and analog inputs) with little more than a phone, router, and laptop.  It's not MacGuyver, it's WifiLapper (forum | facebook)

Typically, floor plates are like 6" X 6" x 1/8," at least that's what the kit came with.  in some places they are too big to fit though.  SCCA gets all up tight about chassis stiffening with roll cages.  So there is a line between safety and stiffening.  I'd rather be safer and stiffer.

Our cage is actaully welded to tubes through the floor which are welded the length of the car from wheel well to wheel well.  It would be considered chasis stiffening for an IT class SCCA car.  Our cage is a bit of overkill since we thought we were going to a derby when a real road race broke out. 

Believe me, we are way happier with cleaner racing.

If the officials get inspired to look at our car more closely, they can take pics and decide how much they like or dislike our cage set up and door bars.

We had double NASCAR style door bars for our first race but I think our kit came with a single primary plus a additional X bar.  The single diagonal was a problem for one of our larger drivers.  The NASCAR style bars are easier to get in and out with too.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

I usually like I said  before build  Crawlers and desert truck so we have frames to weld to ,so backing plates was new to me and I always build too big

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

Well I'm convinced. We measured our car, we need ~20 ft of more tubing to finish out what we wanted to do. Plus once we are done should be SCCA and NASA legal again (we need to x-brace with rear hoop because last year we were dumb and installed it backwards so its really only protecting the non-existant passanger)
Now just to start shopping around to find it "cheaply"

49 (edited by TestDriver 2009-06-03 11:13 AM)

Who do we ask for waivers or grandfathering requests of? I've asked this before of the Grande Poobah. Should I just send him a request again?

Thanks.

Ramon Mendoza
El Blackie Chaparral Racing

VKZ24 wrote:
troubleonwheels wrote:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3279/3060287222_bb6f6bcdee.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3051/3059449983_00451aa754.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3201/3060288140_9ee142861a.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3201/3060292902_8c734a2021.jpg?v=0