Topic: Just bought a Miata for Lemons

I just bought a nice primer and bondo colored miata to race in Lemons.

It runs OK but to do well I need to make it faster.  Anything I should know or special cheats I should work on?

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

Re: Just bought a Miata for Lemons

Miata and cheat in the same sentence never ends well...

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

TheHeckler wrote:

=  Anything I should know

Miatas are considered uber cheaty.  We own 2 that are legitimate sub $500 cars and we would never enter them anyway.

Miata's in a Lemons perspective are boring, try harder.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

I turned down a Miata with a hardtop for $500 to build a Fairmont wagon instead.  You already used the word Miata and cheat in the same post on a board read by the judges.  I hope you like laps, cause Jonny and Phil are gonna load you up with them.

Property Devaluation Racing

Drivers wanted for TX races

btp76 wrote:

I turned down a Miata with a hardtop for $500 to build a Fairmont wagon instead.  You already used the word Miata and cheat in the same post on a board read by the judges.  I hope you like laps, cause Jonny and Phil are gonna load you up with them.

We have never gotten one single penalty lap in ours.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

miata? seriously? shoulda bought an E30

To finish first, first you must finish. -Rick Mears
Pandamonium Racing

7 (edited by Buzz Killington 2010-01-15 08:49 PM)

btp76 wrote:

I turned down a Miata with a hardtop for $500

your judgment is seriously in question.  friggin texans.

so if i showed up in your driveway w/ a free miata that had $500 in the glovebox, you'd turn it down?

but yeah, Lemons miatas are fun (miata + track = fun) but kind of boring.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Buzz Killington wrote:
btp76 wrote:

I turned down a Miata with a hardtop for $500

your judgment is seriously in question.  friggin texans.

so if i showed up in your driveway w/ a free miata that had $500 in the glovebox, you'd turn it down?

but yeah, Lemons miatas are fun (miata + track = fun) but kind of boring.

I agree, I wouldn't turn down a cheap miata, I just wouldn't enter it in Lemons.  But you could flip it for enough to finance a good portion of a Lemons build.  Or jam its drivetrain into a Renault 4CV or the like....that would be so much less boring than one more miata/e30/etc in Lemons.

OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."

I think these are the lucky 13 steps that the MetroGnome guys used except they got confused and used motorcycle bits instead of Miata parts.

1) Find completely crappy old Renault/Fiat/Toyota/Simca/Geo/etc.
2) Put Miata next to old crappy car and stare for a long time.
3) Beer.
4) See step 3.
5) With new enhanced mental powers from previous two steps, visualize old metal co-mingling with new to a soundtrack of Enya interspersed with f-in' rad Spec Miata noises and RX-7 backfires. Don't get in the way, ride it out.
6) Implement above vision.
7) Wake up, take aspirin, marvel at the wonderful dream you had.
8) Turn around and stare in amused yet slightly scared awe at your creation.
9) Weld some (a lot) more, then curse while smiling. Then fix the shift linkage.
10) Start race.
11) Break. Fix. Race.
12) Plan further modifications to your frankenvehicle.
13) Smile and nod knowingly as you enter the next race.

Bonus points for an outsider art video of step 5.

Have fun!

TheHeckler wrote:

I just bought a nice primer and bondo colored miata to race in Lemons.

The irony of your name choice is inescapable, given your car choice.

If it ain't broken, fix it 'til it is.

A miata is cool! You just have to LeMonize it.. That consists of taking out the bomb proof mazda motor and putting in something that would make it a true crap can and get the judges to not grind you into dust. Put in a Triumph Spitfire engine or a Stag engine. Maybe be the first to put a Cessna engine (air cooled) into a Lemons car.. Think way outside the box and you will have fun.

Mighty Pendejo

Well truth be told, I did buy a Miata for 500 but not to race in Lemons, at least not as a miata.  Maybe as some sort of frankenbeast. 

I was looking at the 'Build your own sportscar for as little as £250 and race it' book by Haynes.   A car like that wouldn't be eligible but it sure would be fun.  A poor mans lotus 7.

Our team runs a Linco Mark Ate.  3000+ pounds of american metal and plastic with too much power and a slushbox.

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

Just show up and have a great time.  I am not sure why everyone thinks Miatas are so farking great anyway.  It takes just as much know how and creativity to make a Miata a winner as any other Lemons car.

Cars, cameras, and easy living...

TheHeckler wrote:

I was looking at the 'Build your own sportscar for as little as £250 and race it' book by Haynes.   A car like that wouldn't be eligible but it sure would be fun.  A poor mans lotus 7.

That is my plan for our Lemons car when we are done with it. 

http://www.amazon.com/Build-Cheap-Sport … amp;sr=8-1

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

You want to go fast? It's all about driver selection.

MurileeMartin wrote:

You want to go fast? It's all about driver selection.

Whatever happened to "just turn laps"? wink

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

GnomeFabTech wrote:

Just show up and have a great time.  I am not sure why everyone thinks Miatas are so farking great anyway.  It takes just as much know how and creativity to make a Miata a winner as any other Lemons car.

Hmmm....   Bullet proof engine.  Really good suspension out of the box.  Light.  Great brakes.  Aftermarket parts out the wazoo. 

Yes, it takes someone with skills to make one a winner, but hand me a miata and a civic and I can make the miata go faster and be more reliable for less money.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

I just want to know where anybody gets a running Miata for $500.  The crappiest Miatas that I have seen are all $2000 or more.

RobL wrote:
GnomeFabTech wrote:

Hmmm....   Bullet proof engine.  Really good suspension out of the box.  Light.  Great brakes.  Aftermarket parts out the wazoo. 

Yes, it takes someone with skills to make one a winner, but hand me a miata and a civic and I can make the miata go faster and be more reliable for less money.

I gotta second the great suspension. 

Dual A-arms on all 4 corners is pretty hard to beat.

Thunderbird, cheap Miatas are around.  I even got a free one.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Thunderbird wrote:

I just want to know where anybody gets a running Miata for $500.  The crappiest Miatas that I have seen are all $2000 or more.

Craigslist. Ours was totaled twice and nearly all the accesories didnt work. It ran, and would kinda drive, took it home for 450 and sold the seats for $100 and the soft top for $200.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

Baron wrote:
Thunderbird wrote:

Craigslist. Ours was totaled twice and nearly all the accesories didnt work. It ran, and would kinda drive, took it home for 450 and sold the seats for $100 and the soft top for $200.

Yep CL, we got our first one for $200 because it wouldnt start.  Removed the after market alarm and it fired right up and completed 3000 miles of BABE rally.

Picked up the 2nd one a few weeks ago, $500 needs a clutch and new top but has new Tokico struts and lowering springs and runs great.

When the cheap ones show up you need to be ready to jump ASAP.

On the $200 one it was in north jersey and I live in south jersey so I called teammate Jeff who lives up north and told him he should grab it.  When he was on his way to see it he called me and asked what he needed to know when looking at it.

I told him and I say to all cheap miata seekers.   All you need to know is its a miata advertised for $200 and you should have cash in your pocket and try not to laugh too much until the seller leaves.

Thank god for flame free environments...

as everyone else has said, Miatas are cheating

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Miatas have really dominated the People's Curse, too!

Sell it and buy a 300zx you cant go wrong!

Fish wrote:

Sell it and buy a 300zx you cant go wrong!

or right!

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"