1 (edited by billybobster 2015-10-21 08:29 PM)

Topic: Rain suit recommendations

I live in San Francisco. Apparently "El Nino" will be visiting us this winter where something called "rain" will cause water to fall out of the sky.

Seriously, since we will be underwater this winter and I will be driving/crewing during winter Lemons events in NorCal, I figure it's time to invest in a rain suit. Not a flimsy PVC number but a quality one intended for people who work in the rain. I'm looking for recommendations on features, brands, vendors. I have done the "search noob search" on the webz but not found a buying guide for durable work wear, rather than hiking/trekking recreational wear.

25X Loser - Delinquent Racing - '86 Rust-Tite Merkur - 9 years (when do I get to stop?).

Re: Rain suit recommendations

If you really really want to stay dry, don't mind stewing in your own gook*, and don't need pockets then you can't really beat Grunden's.

Breathability is for sissies.

Scott

* Not a racial slur.

If you're looking for rain gear that is designed for slumming it in super wet conditions,  but also requires the ability to scoot around on the ground without tearing, you need to Googles, 'Class 3 Rainwear'. Unfortunately, even though Class 3 can hold up to full romping in the field, it also always comes in full visibility because... OSHA...

Anything Gore-Tex, keeps you dry and comfy so your not stuck to the inside of the jacket

5 (edited by OnkelUdo 2015-10-22 05:02 AM)

Truly indestructible, price is no option, maintenance OK...Filson Tin Cloth.  Worth the price?  Only if it is the last jacket (or bibs) you ever buy.

Alternatives are boundless but I personally wear a "vintage" Smith and Wesson waxed cotton field coat with hood.  Used on Ebay about $50.  I have worn it with layering in 8 f weather with 2" hour of snowfall and a 20 knot wind in Poland.  It is finally falling apart but that is due to EXTREME abuse/use at my hands and being used when I got it.

Edit:  A less expensive but almost as good alternative is to use Carhartt/Dicckies/CAT/etc 100% cotton duck jacket and use the Filson or similar wax to make your own waxed cotton.  The problem usually is the lack of storm flap for the zippers and pockets, etc.

Waxed cotton does require maintenance but it is about 95% as waterproof as gortex and being cotton does not melt if you brush up against a hot exhaust manifold.  It only breathes about 50% as well but I always wear a very cheap base layer for wicking.

I have a great Filson Tin Cloth jacket, but I wouldn't want it near my Lemons stuff. I'd be afraid I'd never get it clean enough to wear in proper company again.

If you want to go with "cheap enough that I can throw it away when it's covered in Lemons-related rolling on the ground changing a transmission in the mud," several of our guys have had good success with Frogg Toggs.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:

I have a great Filson Tin Cloth jacket, but I wouldn't want it near my Lemons stuff. I'd be afraid I'd never get it clean enough to wear in proper company again.

Very valid point.  That S&W field coat cleaned up well even after doing an all night engine swap lying in what seemed like a river at Road America.  Oddly, I cannot banish the smell of wet dog from it after Wally slept on it the entire ride back to Indiana.

Mulry wrote:

<snip>

Ah, Filson - buy once, wear forever!  At least until the smell gets intense, and then you just need to hike back into the woods farther.

And what's this about 'proper company' - the company I know, that tends to wear the full tin cloth, usually parks the jacket/overalls/chaps in the corner and they'll stand there waiting for you patiently. . . .

That said, for full-on waterproof (i.e., overgear for motorcycling in OR/MT) I picked up an XXL dinghy jacket from West Marine Outlet for nickels, and, while you'll stew in your juices, you'll stay dry from the outside.  Good sailing gear is sturdy stuff - buy used?

fleming95 wrote:

At least until the smell gets intense, and then you just need to hike back into the woods farther.

It is musk that the ladies find irresistible.  It lets them know their man (or domestic partner of indeterminate sexuality) is virile and strong.

At least that is what I tell myself.

Frog Toggs are good for being cheap and reasonably breathable.  They keep you dry. The zippers are garbage.

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

In a pinch improvise https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT0n8FLbhz4CoLHSQ_94ak-PyRe9T11pM8a86PNmahIsOjocI6W0g
If it's good enough for Mitt....
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1h9qKGZM7L3tSE60CDExbkNMAqAL66dFxkUo09CFiwNQoXfsMvg

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Looks like Mitt put on some water weight there.

Thanks for all the advice... now on to Shopping for Lemons Fashion!

25X Loser - Delinquent Racing - '86 Rust-Tite Merkur - 9 years (when do I get to stop?).

hoverducky wrote:

you can't really beat Grunden's.

I have a Grundens Workwear jacket.  It is heavy polyester canvas shell, goretex, breaths, is outrageously waterproof, has the coolest array of pockets, and it has the only hood that I've ever had that really keeps the rain off my glasses.  Every detail of this jacket is perfect.  I got it at Englund Marine in Astoria, OR which is a shop that caters to the local professional sea-going folk like fishermen and the like.  I got it the year before the drought started and I fear that nature basically gave up on trying to get me wet and decided that raining on California was a waste of time. Sorry folks.  My bad.

You can't get better, and all this talk of tin cloth... sure if you want the state of the art rain gear from the 1800s.  If you want what the pros use, Grundens.

http://i58.tinypic.com/263wy95.jpg

This was Sonoma last December.  The downside of being the guy with foul weather gear, is you end up being the one that gets sent out to the beer cooler.

That's a great picture...

Why isn't the beer cooler inside? I would think it would get priority over everything, including certain team members.

billybobster wrote:

That's a great picture...

Why isn't the beer cooler inside? I would think it would get priority over everything, including certain team members.

I wasn't the guy with foul weather gear, so I do not know why he didn't just drag the cooler under the canopy.   I never had to venture out for my beer, so it wasn't for me to reason why...

ukemike wrote:

You can't get better, and all this talk of tin cloth... sure if you want the state of the art rain gear from the 1800s.  If you want what the pros use, Grundens.

The main reason to pick wax cotton/oil cloth over anything else I have looked at is it does not melt.  Grundens may offer the same but I have not seen any of their stuff that does. 

If this is not a concern, just about anything decent quality will equal tin cloth for waterproofness and many will beat it.  Get into sailing stuff and I am sure it will obliterate 1800's waterproofing technology.  Since the bulk of a rain jacket means inadvertently touching lots of surfaces you did not plan on, this is important to me.  Similar reason why I have had to replace more than one pair of PVC rain pants when I rode motorcycles...that less than 1 second brush against the exhaust as you get off the bike.

OnkelUdo wrote:
ukemike wrote:

The main reason to pick wax cotton/oil cloth over anything else I have looked at is it does not melt.  Grundens may offer the same but I have not seen any of their stuff that does. 

If this is not a concern, just about anything decent quality will equal tin cloth for waterproofness and many will beat it.  Get into sailing stuff and I am sure it will obliterate 1800's waterproofing technology.  Since the bulk of a rain jacket means inadvertently touching lots of surfaces you did not plan on, this is important to me.  Similar reason why I have had to replace more than one pair of PVC rain pants when I rode motorcycles...that less than 1 second brush against the exhaust as you get off the bike.

I have an FR rain suit that is probably not instant melty when touching hot things. and it was free* but it would have been about 700$ if i bought it for myself. it smells weird though

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.