1 (edited by Bonedriver 2010-01-17 12:27 AM)

Topic: I got screwed... twice! Seriously!!!

So I was driving into work tonight (in the rain BTW) and all the sudden I hear a "wop wop wop wop" coming from the rear of the car (2005 Taurus)... I pull over and find the right rear tire completely flat...

I change the tire in the rain... get soaked.

I put everything away in the trunk and go to get into the car and notice the front left tire is completely flat!!!

There is a Hess station across the street with a compressor so I limp it across the street and try to pump it up... NO GO...

I call a friend to see if he has a comparable spare I can use. He shows up with a spare, a jack and a tire plug kit. Turns out both tires have punctures in the tread and not the sidewall so we decide to plug the tires. Both tires inflate and since everything is wet anyway we can tell right away they are good - no bubbles. So we throw the tires back on the car and I drive to work. The tires are holding pressure steady at 35 psi.

I plan on buying tire plug kits for every car. I have one in my crown vic...

Owner #132 Lancia/Toyota Beta/MR2 Scorpion

Re: I got screwed... twice! Seriously!!!

Don't know if you can still get them, but they used to make asphalt-impregnated strips that you lit with a match after inserting them, sort of a roadside vulcanization thing....I got through university in my '74 Parisienne Brougham with no tire holding less than two plugs and one with five! Not recommended, or safe in the long run, but they'll get you home!

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....