1 (edited by GTI-Guy 2010-01-17 04:25 PM)

Topic: Selling Seats, How to handle damage contigencies, fine print etc

Any advice for selling seat spots as to agreements on how to handle severe damage, car being totalled, other loss scenarios.  The thought is to limit the amount a driver would have to pay for truly severe damage to $500, and perhaps if the car is totalled, then the driver would still pay $500 but then the rest of the loss (cage, etc) would be divided up among all drivers to kick in for?

The other aspect is does this only kick in if the driver is at fault?  But then, that opens up a lot of grey area and can get ugly.  Still, it doesn't quite seem "That's racing" if you're stalled on track and then get demolished by someone that missed a yellow.

We just want to do what's consistent out there so can sell seats without surprises and without putting personal relationships at risk.

BARBIE MUST WIN Racing!
BMW 6 Series ... "All Bitched Out!"

Re: Selling Seats, How to handle damage contigencies, fine print etc

I've posted seats that have a "damage deposit" on them.  For eaxample, $500 seat and then a refundable no-fault $500 damage deposit that will be used to repair the car back to "pre-race on starting grid" race-able condition.  The no-fault means that if anything happens to the car no matter who or what causes the damage, everyone loses all or part of thier damage deposit.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

I sell the car to the team for ~$1000 (I try to pick a value that represents what we could really sell it for) and then buy it back at the end.  All other race prep costs are split equally.  Essentially it's a deposit, but it probably works out to be more like $200-$300 per person rather than $500.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

Good input guys, thanks

To our "Lady of Perpetual Downforce" (luv that name), say b4 the race you sell the car to the team for $1,000 and it's damaged up.  You then would buy it back from the team for less, say $500, correct?  That's what you mean it's "like a deposit," correct?

Schumacher Taxi (you were a tough one behind our Punisher Cop car at Carolina awhile back, nice driving) ...  you're saying everyone chips in $500 and if the car requires money to fix, everyone reaches into that fund equally and the amount the get back from their $500 deposit is reduced accordingly, regardless of who was at  fault, correct?

BARBIE MUST WIN Racing!

HHmmm...when we rent our seats out, we have a contract releasing the team from liability, and that there are no refunds if the car breaks at any point of the weekend but nothing about damages.

We are the people your parents warned you about.

GTI-Guy wrote:

Schumacher Taxi (you were a tough one behind our Punisher Cop car at Carolina awhile back, nice driving) ...  you're saying everyone chips in $500 and if the car requires money to fix, everyone reaches into that fund equally and the amount the get back from their $500 deposit is reduced accordingly, regardless of who was at  fault, correct?

That was me.  After tailing you guys for a while, I smelled your brakes change "pitch."  I thought it best if I back off a little and sure enough, you didn't have brakes in the next turn.  That poor civic... 

That's exactly how it should work.  There is a ~$2000 damage fund that gets used to bring the car back to racing condition.  That way, should teamates not be able to race at the next event there will still be a car for them.  It requires a little trust and mutual respect among the team that the drivers before you aren't going to go out and wad the car.  But you have to do that anyway and this way everyone on the team has a vested interest in not pulling bonehead moves that will cost them money.

We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.

To our "Lady of Perpetual Downforce" (luv that name), say b4 the race you sell the car to the team for $1,000 and it's damaged up.  You then would buy it back from the team for less, say $500, correct?  That's what you mean it's "like a deposit," correct?

Yup.  It's worked so far, but it's been among friends/coworkers and not strangers.

RobL wrote:

That's exactly how it should work.  There is a ~$2000 damage fund that gets used to bring the car back to racing condition.  That way, should teamates not be able to race at the next event there will still be a car for them.  It requires a little trust and mutual respect among the team that the drivers before you aren't going to go out and wad the car.  But you have to do that anyway and this way everyone on the team has a vested interest in not pulling bonehead moves that will cost them money.

"Damage Fund" ... good way to sum it up.  I like the "dynamic" of that where everyone shares equally in any misfortune.  Speaking of "dynamic" yep, that was me in front of you at Carolina.  I felt bad about hip checking that Civic with a car that was prolly 3X the weight, and very relieved he recovered and continued on.  The pad backing plate was welded to the piston in the rear ... we increased the brake bias back there to help take the load off the fronts.  Well, we lost brakes as you saw but also, super heated the gas tank too, but we'll save that part of the story for a beer I'll by you for out driving me!

BARBIE MUST WIN Racing!

st_rage wrote:

Yup.  It's worked so far, but it's been among friends/coworkers and not strangers.

Well that is key.  The seat sales would take place among ex Lemoners and some first timers well acquainted from DEs. Strangers would be a bad idea I'd think.  And it can be a bad idea among friends as well if things go wrong.  That was the goal of this thread ... to spell out how any worse case scenarios would be handled.

I really like the "damage fund" concept with a "no fault" provision.  No one wants to be the guy that cost everyone else money.  Further, if it's one of those "that's racing" events where the driver isn't at fault at all (say stalled on the track and hit by a car that missed a yellow), then the fair and natural thing is that everyone divides up the bad luck equally.

Boy it sure helps during the cold weather to talk about upcoming events .. kind of lifts my spirits!

BARBIE MUST WIN Racing!

i must admit this all makes me ill.  i don't buy into the whole 'whore out a seat" for my team program.  but then again i'm (we) not going for the season championship.

as with most successful series the money rises to the top.  the element of for-profit racing has and will always ruin the spirit of any series.  Lemons is doomed to repeat the errors of every racing series that has come before its existence.

the King is dead, long live the King.  !!!!!!

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

11 (edited by st_rage 2010-01-17 07:50 PM)

What where talking about is not whoring out a seat but dealing with the fact that you won't always have the same team.  Everything is pretty simple when you get a bunch of guys together, pool your money, buy a car, prep it, and race.  It will stay simple as long as the team doesn't change.  It gets more complicated when guys leave the team and new guys come in.  I don't think anyone on this thread trying to make any money.

I've seen a couple of "arrive and drive" type posts in the human resources.  I have a hard time envisioning how that would work out as there are a lot of unspoken expectations.  The odds of a car running well the whole race arn't high enough.

Rob, I like your plan.  I imagine a lot of guys would complain about an extra $500 but I think you are realistic.

$500 car or not, repairs can add up quick.

A friend of mine and I do most the maintenance, cause replacing engines/transmissions is maintenance, on the car so it keeps the cost down.

While this keeps cost down, it still takes a LOT of time.

Aside from that, giving guys a vested interest is a good idea.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

our team while still pretty much core members, has changed.  i think the difference here maybe is the fact that we have yet to search for team members outside our circle of friends.  call us naive, but there is a limit to charging your friends to join a team concept racing team.

IMO, the more a team charges for inclusion, the more a participant should expect for results.  and as such degredation of the the event and the series.

and then there is the ultimate hiring of the "hot shoes" of any series, leading to the pausterization of the finishes, with only the money teams getting any of the press coverage.

and in the end, Lemons is not what it was intended to be.

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

GTI-Guy wrote:

Speaking of "dynamic" yep, that was me in front of you at Carolina.  I felt bad about hip checking that Civic with a car that was prolly 3X the weight, and very relieved he recovered and continued on.

Don't know if you saw it yet but we were running video...  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MkXRSu6X2I

Who is hiring "hot shoes" and how is any team making money at Lemons? 

I have a friend who is a professional driver in the Rolex series.  If he wants on my team - he's going to pay for it just like everyone else. 

What I see are a lot of drivers who just want to come out and play and not have the responsibility that comes along with better funded and more prestigious racing series.

RobL wrote:

Who is hiring "hot shoes" and how is any team making money at Lemons? 

I have a friend who is a professional driver in the Rolex series.  If he wants on my team - he's going to pay for it just like everyone else. 

What I see are a lot of drivers who just want to come out and play and not have the responsibility that comes along with better funded and more prestigious racing series.

+1  Rob
Down here in Florida there are alot of Autocrossers and different club racers that want to participate in crap can racing.  Since my 'team' basically consists of my father and myself, in order to play by the rules we are required to fill the two other seats.  The money we collect goes towards maintaining and updating the crap can, tires, trailer maintenance, fuel, spares, beer, storage, etc...  and not for profit.

Wow, to those that are thinking this crosses the line, I’d like to offer to please take a breath.

We at least are in no way looking to make money, or hire hot shoes.  The reality is that how many of us with families and all the other usual responsibilities can participate in more than one or few of these events a year?

Because of that, we’re recruiting drivers to be able to make as many events as possible and our “talent pool” are buddies from the DE/HPDE community.  Only a couple / few have had any significant competitive racing experience.

Others have chimed in to this effect and I think that shows this is still a “recreational league.”

Mr Schumacher, yep, I actually did a version of that for my own keeping/momento/self-embarrassment purposes.  I think I have a picture of the pad backing plate & caliper that had welded itself together – you couldn’t even hammer them apart.  The bummer is that we had changed pads the night prior and they stayed pretty strong thru day one.  That video was from the last hour of day two and needless to say, I used “conservation of momentum” the rest of the race, we luckily limped in for a 3rd overall IIRC.

BARBIE MUST WIN Racing!

Wow. 

Not (really, really!) trying to be nasty.  But, some of the above plans sound really complicated to me, and I think it all comes down to initial perceptions and expectations.

We made the following assumptions when we formed our team:

1)  Racing is a stupid thing to do, and you'll never make money at it.
2)  If a member quits the team, he is giving up any right to any refund/share of ownership.  If we only do one race and decide never to do it again, so be it.
3)  If the car gets totaled/cursed, tough luck for us.
4)  If the first driver, on the first lap, in the first turn, destroys the car, tough luck.  That's racing.
5) Every member brings what he can to the team.  Whoever owns the trailer, for example, is donating its use.  There's no money/compensation involved.  If a member doesn't own much and we invited them to be part of the team, we knew their ability to contribute going in.  If they have something valuable and refuse to let the team borrow it, then that guy is a dick and we wouldn't have him in the first place.

Long ago, I used to be on the road crewing formula Mazdas.  I've seen cars hauled 2000 miles to a race and then fail to qualify.  Does this mean that somehow someone is entitled to damages, because things didn't go well that weekend?  In my opinion, no.  Them's the breaks, and if you can't deal with it you shouldn't be racing.

Finally, look at rules 1.3 and 1.6.. these pretty much sum up our whole attitude.  This is supposed to be fun, not a business.  Every time I've turned a hobby into a business it has ended badly for me.

Just my $.02

--Bob

If it ain't broken, fix it 'til it is.

Cadillac Bob...I agree with almost everything you say here. 

1)  ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!  You definately lose more than you make.  Just like the saying goes...it takes a large fortune to make a small one in racing.
2)  correct, that's why it's easier to have the team captain own the car instead of four or five partners.  It limits all the headaches. 
3)  Spot on! 
4)  Once again, spot on!
5)  Well put. 

Lastly, this is fun, not a business like you put.  I'm not sure how many businesses are being formed here but at the last three races I ran I didn't see any.  Just because many teams including mine use contracts, fees, damage deposts etc doesn't necessarily mean we are in business.  It just means we are protecting ourselves and our investment if anything should happen.  (Which anything can and will happen in a crap can race)

Cadillac Bob wrote:

Wow. 

Not (really, really!) trying to be nasty.  But, some of the above plans sound really complicated to me, and I think it all comes down to initial perceptions and expectations.

We made the following assumptions when we formed our team:

1)  Racing is a stupid thing to do, and you'll never make money at it.
2)  If a member quits the team, he is giving up any right to any refund/share of ownership.  If we only do one race and decide never to do it again, so be it.
3)  If the car gets totaled/cursed, tough luck for us.
4)  If the first driver, on the first lap, in the first turn, destroys the car, tough luck.  That's racing.
5) Every member brings what he can to the team.  Whoever owns the trailer, for example, is donating its use.  There's no money/compensation involved.  If a member doesn't own much and we invited them to be part of the team, we knew their ability to contribute going in.  If they have something valuable and refuse to let the team borrow it, then that guy is a dick and we wouldn't have him in the first place.

Long ago, I used to be on the road crewing formula Mazdas.  I've seen cars hauled 2000 miles to a race and then fail to qualify.  Does this mean that somehow someone is entitled to damages, because things didn't go well that weekend?  In my opinion, no.  Them's the breaks, and if you can't deal with it you shouldn't be racing.

Finally, look at rules 1.3 and 1.6.. these pretty much sum up our whole attitude.  This is supposed to be fun, not a business.  Every time I've turned a hobby into a business it has ended badly for me.

Just my $.02

--Bob

Cadillac Bob wrote:

You know, some cars don't even make it that far.

Racing is not really for the faint at heart or pocket book.

Even in Lemons it costs a fair amount to run a car.  I consider any race weekend a $2000 weekend just to show up with the car at the track.  That's entry fees, transportation and maybe a few repairs.

As a team, you can easily figure another easy $1000-2000 in travel, food, fuel for the car, any lodging expenses and so on. 

So this ain't what I consider a cheap weekend.  Some guy compared it to boating and felt it was cheaper than boating.  Other than the initial investment, a race weekend is pricier than a weekend boating.  That's also due to the fact we are racing crap cans and not Porsche's.

Anyway, the point of this post is more a CYA thing.

Teams want to protect their investment in their Crap Can and spread some costs.  Deposits and things give a newbie a financially vested interest in the car and a deterrent from breaking and abusing the car.

The Arrive & Drive guy wants some assurance they will get some seat time for their dollar.

You've got two parties trying to protect their financial interests in a reasonably high risk situation.

If you read the Speed Sport Life article (Avoidable Contact #25: Exploring the pyramid of speed — the real costs and stories behind entry-level sedan racing.) about renting any race car.  Any damage is the fault of the guy in the driver's seat.  If the car stalls while you are in it on the track and it gets hit, you still put the car their.  The article very clearly points out how quickly you can rack up a 5 figure repair bill without it even being your fault.

Teams handle these issues in various ways.  With more events than ever, I think we may see these issues come up more often.

Time and money make it hard to keep the same driver's all the time as you try to do more and more events.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z