Topic: Who else is not ready for CMP?

We have a $200 u-pull-it motor strapped to the front end loader of my little John Deere. The motor from last fall with the 3-gallons-per-10-laps water consumption problem is still in the car. We have 2 1/2 weeks to go, and we plan on a 5 speed conversion, but can't find anyone to fix our 5 speed for free as of yet.

Anyone else totally unprepared?

BTW, we'll be there, even if we have to cage that POS CRX and bring it. Might have forego earning double time tomorrow (working on the holiday) to stay home and work on the Lincoln...

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Re: Who else is not ready for CMP?

Just finished up today, actually.  We just had a lot of small stuff that kept getting pushed out,  mostly changing fluids and other consumables, that needed to get done.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

So you're free this weekend, then? SWEET! What time should I expect you?

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)

4 (edited by RobL 2010-01-17 04:48 PM)

We, like you, have about 5 cars that need attention.  Although the car is done, we still need to disassemble another one to bring parts.

Now when you start working on the prefect, I think I may just make some time for that...

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Good to hear. It'll be in late April, most likely. We have the Mark VIII for February, the Caddy for Gingerman in April, then probably the Prefect for June at Summit Point. Of course, we might well do the Buick for Summit Point. Has anyone ever won back-to-back IOE awards?

6 (edited by st_rage 2010-01-17 04:59 PM)

Our motor is sitting on the garage floor and our transmission is taken apart, but we should be good.

http://blogpress.w18.net/photos/10/01/02/1030.jpg

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

yeah, no.

we're still worried the damn ambient air temperature will be below 45 degrees over the course of the weekend.  our puuuttttyies hurt below 60 degrees fahrenheit.  smile

and we have that high idle problem too to resolve.

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

Three of the five of us worked on the Saab for 7 hours yesterday and it's almost ready.  I just know this car isn't gonna last and I've been trying to find a used junk 86' for extra parts to take with us and have had ZERO luck!

9 (edited by Buzz Killington 2010-01-17 08:10 PM)

Speedycop wrote:

We have the Mark VIII for February

the VIII is going to be there?

oh, it's ON!

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

I'm not. The 100-400mm lens I was going to rent is now unavailable til sometime in March.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

our next race is in just under 7 weeks and I'm worried....but whats there to worry about with 50 fuses and 25 relays plus hundreds of feet of GRAY wire....not to mention a nasty habit for rod bearings...  :>)

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

I think we are a 1/2 day away from finishing the coROLLa.  It is very close.  How long the $100 junkyard blue top head lasts is anyone's guess.  Can't wait to get to CMP! 

We are starting prep on the 2nd and 3rd cars shortly, too.  The Mazdareti first, and yes, the Craptation is in the job cue for April.  I did manage to secure the donor motor'ed car over the weekend {cue Mission Impossible theme here}.  Once we remove the motor, we are re-abandoning it.  smile

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

We're making a lot of progress.  Mostly on eliminating things from the to-do list that we just don't have time for any more!

Of course we're knee deep in re-wiring the entire electrical system.  It's going to be pretty slick (and not really necessary).  It's funny too!  For example... The switch labeled "wipers" actually is the fuel pump.  We also installed a buzzer if (and lights) if any of the warnings are triggered.  The funny thing is that the buzzer is 105db... you will s*** your pants if it goes off.  Louder than we expected.

Anyway we did 30 laps last time we *should* do better this time.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_RZETAUsCnmc/S1T6KezvdWI/AAAAAAAAGtE/TVO7-LUiYmY/s400/photo.jpg

Greg
Quattro Libre '84 Audi (Lemons South '08)
The Slammer '87 Milano (Lemons South '09)
The Slammer '87 Milano (Southern Discomfort '10)

Our team is a bit behind schedule but hopefully will be ready.

We were really hoping to burn some gas this weekend but were thwarted by engine mounts.  Ended up wasting time moving crossmembers rather than getting the engine working.  We have a cage install appointment this weekend that we will hopefully be able to drive to.

Much like our sister team above, we're also re-wiring the entire car, but more out of necessity.  Our original engine was purchased with the Biodegradable Wiring option.  It's a miracle that thing ran as long as it did.

Hell, if things really go bad, we can just drive the Libre in 3rd again.

Swede Sixteen Racing - 85 Volvo 740 - Southern Discomfort '10, South Spring '10, South Fall '10,
Southern Discomfort '11 (GRM Most from the Least Winner), Shine Country Classic '11
Quattro Libre Racing - 82 Audi Quattro - South Fall '09

The transmission is in many pieces, and the toe links have been cut off of the rear of the car with no way (yet) of properly securing the trailing arms, but the engine runs, it just idles really high and leaks a lot of oil from somewhere. I think that we're just a few all-nighters away from having a mostly-working car. We've got some welding, a bunch of wrenching, and some zip-tie engineering left to do, and I've got meetings in Oregon on the 1st through the 4th. Just like last time, this isn't going to come together until the morning of the 5th.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

We are up and running, not ready but running.  Went through final list of things needed today...don't worry a keg was on the list.

-Mike
Junk Works Racing Team Captain
Lemons South Spring '09 SR-71 BlackBird Finisher
Southern Discomfort '10 E-30ata 4th place

We're close.  Just missing minor details like a cage.  I bought an Autopower to make it easy and to be able to sell it or put it in another shell later.  Problem is we're at the mercy of Autopower and they're taking their sweet time with it.

We are not done, at this point I'm having nightmares of frantically trying to install some part while Judge Jonny yells obscenities about ill prepared, inbred, southerners wasting his time. Hopefully finish this weekend so I can get a good nights sleep.

Emily's Power for a Cure 1990 Mazda Miata (I Got Screwed 2014 Southern Discomfort)
Help in the fight against Neuroblastoma, a devastating childhood cancer.
http://emilyspowerforacure.com/

We were still prepping the Mazdareti AFTER TECH and also up until about 30 minutes before we started the Nelson ledges race.  I did not like that situation, too much stress and not enough fun.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Jer wrote:

We were still prepping the Mazdareti AFTER TECH and also up until about 30 minutes before we started the Nelson ledges race.  I did not like that situation, too much stress and not enough fun.

Us too at NL with the '61 Caddy, except it was 20 minutes AFTER the race started. I was wrong when I said we could build a Lemons car in a week, out of a non-running brakeless hulk of rusty chrome. It took a week and 20 minutes.

some people have absolutely no respect for deadlines.

12+-time loser

we're technically up and running, but then again the car drove home from nelson ledges. still had the mud on it til this weekend. mostly it's small stuff like fluids, but there's a sizable amount of theme work to be done still. it was below freezing in an uninsulated, un-heated garage until this weekend so it was pretty much just sitting.

23 (edited by ronman 2010-01-25 12:48 PM)

We couldn't possibly be more ready:

http://i50.tinypic.com/15y9etk.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/jjy14n.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/2ue0g2s.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/rwkkfa.jpg

Yup, couldn't possibly. :retard:

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

24 (edited by Buzz Killington 2010-01-25 07:09 PM)

i don't see a problem here.

you guys look much more ready than some teams we saw in the garages on friday night at CMP Fall.

edit:  "blown" hot rod lincoln?  so now you snuck a supercharger on that thing?  you cheatin' bastids.

12+-time loser

That almost looks like out paddock area Saturday night/early early Sunday morning of the last CMP race.