Topic: Transponder Purchase?

After 5 yrs & 22 races of renting a transponder, I think it is time to buy one. Actually it was time to buy one a long time ago.  So for next year new helmets & a transponder are on the list. I know I want a wired one but what are my options? What are other people using & why? You would think we could use an old smart phone with an app?

Tired Iron Racing, Class A Winner of 2023 Days of Thunder & the Hooptie-Con Engine heat Cooking Competition, otherwise just a 50x loser, which is somehow able to finish in the top ten, if we don't step on our own dicks.

Re: Transponder Purchase?

Chargable one.  Mostly because I have multiple cars with more on the way.  All it takes is a $20 caddy to hold it on a car somewhere.  Sure, eventually it won't hard a charge, but for now it has paid for itself and then some. 

If i were to get a wired one, I would install it with a weatherproof connector so that I could easily move it between cars.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Are there multiple suppliers, are they all  compatible or is there just one, MyLaps?

Tired Iron Racing, Class A Winner of 2023 Days of Thunder & the Hooptie-Con Engine heat Cooking Competition, otherwise just a 50x loser, which is somehow able to finish in the top ten, if we don't step on our own dicks.

Get a used unit that does not require a subscription, if I were to start over we would buy a hardwire unit.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

Be careful about which one you buy.  AMB/MyLaps makes several different ones including some for runners and MX.  Those wont work.  You want the yellow (kart) or red (car) ones.  I've used the yellow ones with no issues.  For whatever reason, you seem to be able to buy the yellow ones cheaper used on kart forums.  Make sure it blinks in sequences of 4 when fully charged.  Each blink signals the number of days the charge will last.  4 is the max.  You pay a premium for the wired ones which extends your ROI a fair bit.  The only reason you need to pay for a subscription is if you want to track your times online.  If so, beware that MyLaps is one of those orgs that would program their website to reach for your wallet through the monitor if they could.  Maybe they will dispatch drones to do that.  They seem to have gotten a little better but it seemed like every time you turned around they had their hands out. If you find one with a dead battery, a guy in NZ will replace it.  I think MyLaps tells you to buy a new transponder.  I'm thinking one should be able to convert one with a dead battery to 12v wired but never pursued it.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

If you get a wired one, put a lot of thought and work into wiring it up, paying special care to the ground connection. Don't have a separate power switch for the transponder, because it is 100% certain that a driver will go out for a stint with the switch turned off-- hook it up to the ignition coil power lead, so it's always on when the engine is running.

90% of the transponder problems we see (that aren't the result of bad mounting, of course) turn out to be hardwired transponders that weren't getting power. I know of plenty of teams that have been running wired transponders trouble-free for years and years, so we know they'll work fine if mounted/wired correctly.

I agree with Judge Phil and Rob.  We have ours hard wired to always be on with the ignition, but we left the excess wire it came with coiled up and tied and we used quick connectors.  So if/when the Fox explodes, or we just temporarily need it for something else, we can remove it with no muss, and put it back right when we need it.  We also have a heat shield next to it just in case the exhaust breaks, we melted a Lemons transponder once.  On rental fees it has paid for itself already.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

I bought a rechargeable one immediately after losing a Lemons one at a race. The tranx 260 model is what we have. If you get an old style rechargeable transponder Roland sells the mounts for $10 cash at Lemons races. Cheaper than anywhere because shipping is usually almost as much as the mount.

'13  Sonoma - Class B Crown Vic, 14 Sonoma IOE - Race Rambler!, Autobahn Class C+IOE #Racevan!, '15 Thill IOE Winner - Omega!, '16 Ridge - IOE - Avanti!, '17 THill Class C Winner - Omega, Butt IOE - Race 411, Sonoma IOE - Aztek '18 Butt - IOE - Allante, MSR - IOE - '41 Olds - '19 Butt-Class C - Allante, '20 Covid, '21 THill-Class B - Omega, Sonoma - IOE and HWG  - Satellite, '22 Sonoma - HWG-Tojan

I bought a hard wired one for my club race car back in the lete 90's. It's an AMB model. It's still working fine and it's worth more now then what I paid for it!

I bought a hard wired one for my club race car back in the lete 90's. It's an AMB model. It's still working fine and it's worth more now then what I paid for it! 
I don't have to worry about charging it. I just flip the batt. switch to power up the car and it's on.

I got the rechargeable three years ago.  Still charges to a full four blinks.  I make sure I put a full charge and discharge on it every three months.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

Judge Phil wrote:

90% of the transponder problems we see (that aren't the result of bad mounting, of course) ........ so we know they'll work fine if mounted/wired correctly.

http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag81/BigBird57/606-transponderfail_t_zps1wslluvw.jpg
Don't be this guy....

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

13 (edited by rodknox2 2015-11-07 04:08 PM)

We rented for 7 races...$350.  Then we bought a Amb tranx 260 direct wire...$350 new.  We wired to main power and have never thought about it again. That was 5 years ago.  I see that model is close to $500 now.  I just saw a used one on ebay ... current bid is $197.

BigBird wrote:
Judge Phil wrote:

90% of the transponder problems we see (that aren't the result of bad mounting, of course) ........ so we know they'll work fine if mounted/wired correctly.

http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag81/BigBird57/606-transponderfail_t_zps1wslluvw.jpg
Don't be this guy....

Or this one.

Fourteen time loser. You'd think I'd know better by now.

MikeZilla wrote:

Are there multiple suppliers, are they all  compatible or is there just one, MyLaps?

AMB/MyLaps is the only game in town. It's a monopoly due to lack of interest by any other company and some sturdy patents.

Get a wired unit and put a weatherproof plug on the lead. The battery in the wireless ones is locked inside an epoxy filled case. It can be changed but it's a nightmare, Also it's still Ni/Cad which means if it's used, and isn't failing now, it will be.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

I've had my 260 rechargeable for 4 years.  Bought it from someone on the forum.  It only charges to 3 blinks, but has never let us down.  Paid for itself 3 times already.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

You realize what you've just done by saying that don't you?

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

18 (edited by Team Infinniti 2015-11-10 06:46 AM)

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:

I've had my 260 rechargeable for 4 years.  Bought it from someone on the forum.  It only charges to 3 blinks, but has never let us down.  Paid for itself 3 times already.

Bought one off ebay 5 years ago with 3 blinks, only saw it do that once, now Im happy when I see 2, usually it has 1. I do coddle it a bit, there is a charger in the tow truck and hotel room...

Saying that, worth every cent!

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

Guildenstern wrote:

If it's a problem, I'll send it to the guy who refurbishes them and it'll pay for itself 10 more times.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Get a wired one and wire it in cleanly and never think about it again.
Pete

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:

If it's a problem, I'll send it to the guy who refurbishes them and it'll pay for itself 10 more times.

there is a nice video on youtube about switching out the battery on that thing.
easier that it looks.
with some know how can make it wired not battery powered.

https://www.facebook.com/greatglobsofoil/
This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu(C>B>C>B) , 1996 Nissan Maxima OnlyFans (B) , Sold 1996 Ford Probe GT(B),

I've used transponder services  to repair R/C transponders

https://www.mylaps.com/en/products/x2-t … r-car/1622

Appears they have a new subscription based model, that can be hard wired or rechargable

2014 Spring Southern Discomfort- I.O.E. Winner 1956 Crown Vic , Fall CMP 5th place class C Pinto,
2015 Barber 2nd class C Pinto, 2015 Class C WINNER Spring CMP, 2015 Fall CMP Mid pack class B

Fuzzy Blumpkins/GoPher Broke - 1979 Pinto Limited Edition Squire "Titleless", 1988 Merkur XR4TI......why oh why?

sponge003 wrote:

https://www.mylaps.com/en/products/x2-t … r-car/1622

Appears they have a new subscription based model, that can be hard wired or rechargable

Run three or more races a year and you are saving money

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Or this:

http://www.racingjunk.com/General/18254 … onder.html

10x loser (Arse-Freeze '11 - Vodden '15) 1x WINNER! Arse-Freeze '14 in the Watermelon Volvo Wagon
Swedish Knievel Skycycle('90 Volvo 740 Wagon)