1 (edited by m610 2015-12-23 03:49 PM)

Topic: Welding Blanket Recommendations

I have a friend who is getting welding blank for Christmas. He worked on the Tinyvette last summer and needed it then, and he'll be doing a little more welding on the car soon, therefore he needs a welding blanket.

I googled and read, and prices are all over the place depending on type and size and whether of not it is dubious eBay crap. So, any recommendations? I'm thinking size around 4x6 or maybe a little larger.  Light duty welding. Needs to be able to get it in and out of tight places.

Thanks,
Mike

Re: Welding Blanket Recommendations

If he's MIG welding then any of the fiberglass mats will do fine. He can also invest in some cans of "Anti Splatter" spray.

As a future welder, I am wondering if the fiberglass blankets break down and create glass fiber dust. Which sounds generally horrible.

25X Loser - Delinquent Racing - '86 Rust-Tite Merkur - 9 years (when do I get to stop?).

^^ Thanks.

I bought a basic light-duty blanket from Harbor Freight. It looks like it will be OK for the light welding done on cars.

Plus, I got the rest of my Christmas shopping done while I was there. wink

billybobster wrote:

As a future welder, I am wondering if the fiberglass blankets break down and create glass fiber dust. Which sounds generally horrible.

They do a little, but it's not horrible.  I have a Hobart 4x6 fiberglass blanket that I've used a few times, and while you don't want to handle it barehanded or whip it around like shaking sand off a beach blanket, if you handle it easy it's no big deal.  You may be thinking about as it gets older, though.  I've started TIG welding more lately and don't use it for that so it's not getting used much.

Perennial Losers
Mazda 787b aka '75 914 - Org Choice @ The Ridge, 2015; IGS @ TH, 2018
BMW M1 Procar aka '80 RX-7 (retired) - Zero awards sad

I threw away all my fiberglass welding blankets. The itching I got from them was intolerable. I bough two blankets fro the welding supply house I use after bitching about the glass ones. They don't irritate me t all. I thought they were woven from some metal fiber, not inexpensive but worth it. I'll repost when I get to the shop to look at them. Another option would be the silica or carbon fiber ones.

That said I tend to use a lot of .040 aluminum sheet pieces to shield parts when I am welding. Easily bent up and fit into tight places.

Recap: Fiberglass - bad. Everything else-good

Greg

1987 Alfa Milano (Bellissima since 2008), Racing since 2008 Stafford Springs,  2nd overall 2011 NJMP, 4th at NHMS 2011, 2nd at Summit 2011, Into the wall hard at Stafford Springs 2011, 2nd at Monticello 2013, 3rd at NHMS 2013, 2nd at NHMS 2016. 2nd at NJMP 2018

25,000 racing miles in 32 races in 10 years. Yes its the same motor. Tell me again how Alfas suck? Update: Big moneyshift = new motor

Wet cardboard in a pinch  it can also stand  verticle as a screen

Greg S wrote:

I threw away all my fiberglass welding blankets. The itching I got from them was intolerable. I bough two blankets fro the welding supply house I use after bitching about the glass ones. They don't irritate me t all. I thought they were woven from some metal fiber, not inexpensive but worth it. I'll repost when I get to the shop to look at them. Another option would be the silica or carbon fiber ones.

That said I tend to use a lot of .040 aluminum sheet pieces to shield parts when I am welding. Easily bent up and fit into tight places.

Recap: Fiberglass - bad. Everything else-good

Greg

Raw carbon fiber can be pretty itchy too. Maybe the carbon blanket uses a different construction method (ie longer strands, different weave, etc)?