1 (edited by OnkelUdo 2016-01-08 06:29 PM)

Topic: New 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton

So it is slowly looking like I might actually buy a new vehicle for myself once alimony is up next December (yeah, long way off).  I want to consolidated to one tow pig/alternate DD and a series of $500 disposable econoboxes (done this before).

I curently have a 1995 single cab Chevy C2500 that I have done improvements to that make it 90% seamless for towing our heavy enclosed trailer...barely.  It could never do a Utah or Colorado race with this thing but the terrible TBI, pre-vortech 350 actually gets about 10-12 mpg towing at 60 mph.  The NV4500 helps.  My DD is a Volvo 940 wagon...because redblock.

I need no creature comforts so this will be a stripper with tow-specific requirements (I actually like vinyl).  So Tradesman/Work truck.  I do use my truck as a truck a lot.  Remodeling (mobile dumpster/never-ending HD/Menards runs), towing, etc.  I love my 8' bed but I want the ability to take the majority of the team to the track on destination races.  I also have to haul up to 400#'s of dogs to the vet and groomers.

So, here is my quandary.  1/2 ton trucks with the big motor and low geared rear end meet all the requirements...except one, normally no 8' bed with the smallest 4-door cab.  3/4 trucks can meet all the requirements but do I want to live with the HD suspension of a 3/4 ton all day long?

Oddly, money is not the issue as 1/2 or 3/4 ton that meet all my spec's run within $1500 of each other from each manufacturer at $31-33K.

Do not suggest used or diesel in this discussion.  Unless I want to go more than 5 years old, used trucks of this spec are NOT a better bargain used.  Diesel is awesome but the math does not work.

Finally, should I consider a southern C3500 same vintage as my truck, double-cab single wheel instead?  This is about the only used option I would consider.  The turning circle could be measured from space but it meets every need and gives me the minor towing capability increase I would like if I got a 454.  The HORRIBLE fuel economy would be offset by the very low price but the crap GM quality secondary components would still be there (brakes, interior, etc).

Re: New 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton

My opinion:  3/4 ton.  Meets all of your requirements.  Unloaded ride on the newer trucks is pretty decent on the newer trucks.  1/2 ton will not have the confidence of the 3/4 ton when towing.

rlchv70 wrote:

My opinion:  3/4 ton.  Meets all of your requirements.  Unloaded ride on the newer trucks is pretty decent on the newer trucks.  1/2 ton will not have the confidence of the 3/4 ton when towing.

My mind tells me this is true...maybe I just need to intentionally test drive a 3/4 ton on one of my know-terrible roads.  That might just seal the answer.  No way it is worse than the current truck with air shocks.

Another vote for 3/4 ton

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

3/4 ton and done.

1500HD?

I'm really happy with my GMC Sierra 1500, got a real good deal on it last year. It's the twin cab, a little cramped in the back but not horrible. I added airbags and it tows my enclosed trailer fine. It's just the little 5.3 but with the six speed has plenty of power. I brought this new after 6 months trying to find a good used 2500HD.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

My folks have a 2wd 2013 Chevy 1500 extended cab with a 5.3/auto/short box.  Power, comfort and brakes are fine.  The suspension seems a little too soft to really tow with it.  When towing I'd rather have the stability of the mid-90's Ford 3/4 ton trucks that my brother and I have.   I'd also prefer a load range "E" tire - not sure what is on the Chevy at the moment.  The book says I can tow the same loads with the new 1/2 ton that I normally tow with the old 3/4 ton.  But the 3/4 ton sure seems happier while doing the work...

Nick
Focke Ewe racing -> Muttonheads! Racing -> Torque Junkies
86ish VW GTI...now with TDI Powah!

addict#52 wrote:

1500HD?

Not seen the designation in years...

10 (edited by addict#52 2016-01-09 02:05 AM)

OnkelUdo wrote:
addict#52 wrote:

1500HD?

Not seen the designation in years...

True... I think mid 2000's was the last time I seen one

Edit: yup 07 last year for them

Since I bought my first 3/4 ton, I swear by them.  So much more useful than my old half tons.  I've never broken a 3/4 ton by overloading.  I have broken 1/2 tons.  That said, if you go brand new, it seems like all the new 1/2 tons have 3/4 ton capabilities.  The 8' bed is a problem. I only buy 8' bed trucks.  I don't understand short beds.  But that's just me, I think a truck should be used for, you know, work.

Personally, I have a 7.3 PSD F350.  I use it so little now it seems stupid to me to keep it.  My plan is to sell it and buy the nicest crew cab 460 powered truck I can find, and pocket probably 10k.  That's what I'd recommend for you.  The 460 is a stump puller.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

3/4 ton from purely a duty cycle standpoint. You can choose to max out the 1/2 towing or use only 75% of the 3/4 tons capacity. I have seen enough 1/2 tons and Tahoes flipped over on the 8 from Plaster City to know that a 1/2 ton can not tow 10000 lbs. I had a Titan and compared to my 2500HD it is night and day. My wife drove our 2500 from San Diego to Portland, heavily overloaded, with the cruise control and a/c on. She actually wants me to build her an 2500HD Tahoe.

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook

13 (edited by OnkelUdo 2016-01-09 03:50 PM)

CPT_Trans_Continental wrote:

3/4 ton from purely a duty cycle standpoint. You can choose to max out the 1/2 towing or use only 75% of the 3/4 tons capacity. I have seen enough 1/2 tons and Tahoes flipped over on the 8 from Plaster City to know that a 1/2 ton can not tow 10000 lbs. I had a Titan and compared to my 2500HD it is night and day. My wife drove our 2500 from San Diego to Portland, heavily overloaded, with the cruise control and a/c on. She actually wants me to build her an 2500HD Tahoe.

This is part where I start to get a bit confused and concerned (aka skeptical):

1995 C2500 single cab 5.7L curb wieght 4200 #, 210 hp, 300 ftlb
2014 Silverado 1500 double cab 5.3L curb weight 4960  #,  355 HP, 383 ftlb.

GVCW  is better on the modern 1500 as well and when you get down to it, I would be happy with about another 50 hp and 50lbft over what I have.  So the modern truck has more weight, about the same wheelbase but more track.  So at that point, it comes down to the quality of the suspension and axle.  I have to believe the former is a given though the latter may be an issue.  I really have a hard time understanding how it is going to be inadequate.

I have just had the epiphany I needed though, the real issue is the added strain of 3 extra PEOPLE in the truck than I would normally have running the old Chevy.  At that point, my added "cargo" of meat is taking away my available tongue weight and generally making me uncomfortable.  Stupid people limiting my options...maybe I should put them in the trailer.

Dissenting opinion:

How often do you actually tow? and what is the loaded weight of your trailer when do you?
  Any properly equipped 1/2ton is rated for 10k+ lbs.

I've got a 08 tundra, with the towing package.  I've never felt that I needed more tow vehicle. I tow a lot more than I expected when I bought it: Race car, jeep and a bed full of camping beer, backhoe, et al.    The only modification I've made was to add load range E tires, and it handles them all easily.  4.30 gears, 10.5" ring gear, huge trans cooler, larger radiator, in dash trans temp gauge, all come with the tow package and the 5.7.  And with properly functioning trailer brakes I've never felt under braked.  Only problem I've had is the rear wheel bearings going bad around 50k miles, but they have been redesigned since 2010.

Added bonus is that the tundra might be the only 1/2 ton you can get with 4 doors and an 8 foot bed.  If you can get over the " 'murica...  HD.. .  Deezul" urge that lurks in all of us, a properly equipped half ton can probably meet your needs.

The Roto-Racer '89 Merkur:  If it ain't rusting, It ain't racing.

'14 Real Hoopties of NJ: Judges Choice

15 (edited by OnkelUdo 2016-01-12 08:05 AM)

Drdanteiii wrote:

Dissenting opinion:

How often do you actually tow? and what is the loaded weight of your trailer when do you?
  Any properly equipped 1/2ton is rated for 10k+ lbs.

Added bonus is that the tundra might be the only 1/2 ton you can get with 4 doors and an 8 foot bed.  If you can get over the " 'murica...  HD.. .  Deezul" urge that lurks in all of us, a properly equipped half ton can probably meet your needs.

I have ended up towing this 6 months of enclosed trailer ownership...a lot.  As in I towed more miles in 6 months than I drove the truck the prior 12.

The estimated weight with racevan, spare sub frame, paddock sectional, tools and coolers is about 8500-9000# with a tongue weight about 950#.  Assuming normal adult males and their crap, we have 800# for meat payload in the truck proper.  When the difference in cost from 1/2-3/4 is $1500 or less, the 3/4 ton makes more sense.  Of course it make just as much sense to just swap a lower geared axle in what I already have and upgrade from air shock to real air bags...then make the other guys bring a second car.

Your Tacoma in either trim level I would even consider only comes in 4wd with an 8' bed an double cab (this may be Toyota's "regional" package strategy, though).  Already a looser.

P.S.  I am mostly a less with more type of guy so I do not really have the "'murica...  HD.. .  Deezul" urge.  Hence ther reason I said to ignore diesel in this discussion because the payoff would be a gazzillion years.

From a guy who went from a 1996 GMC Sierra 2500 to a 2008 Silverado 2500 HD (both extended cab 8' bed) the trucks are night and day different.  The Silverado is like driving a car except for the fact its tall and as long as the queen mary.  It gets a little bumpy when unloaded but when I have any sort of load, and especially with the trailer hooked up, it is so smooth and nice.  Through all sorts of things the Silverado has become my winter daily driver (and sometimes summer).  While I would prefer a car, due to the size, The gas mileage really isn't that bad, and it drives so well I can't really complain.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

From what I have seen, 3/4 trucks seem to hold their value better than half tons.  I think it's because 1/2 ton trucks are viewed partially as cars, whereas 3/4 ton (and heavier) trucks are seen as equipment, and as long as you keep your equipment well maintained, it holds its value.  So, yes, you may not _need_ a 3/4 ton, but it may actually end up being a more economically advantageous choice.  And you end up with more truck as a bonus.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

It is not about being inadequate. Women say it is not the size of the boat, but the motion of the ocean.*

*Women lie.

Newer trucks will have better driving and towing characteristics. They might even have weird stuff like independent front suspension, torsion bars, and Dana 60s (3/4). Racing Baja has taught me one thing,  bring twice as much as you need and hopefully you won't need any of it.

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook

If you can swing the 3/4 ton and can live with the mileage penalty, go for it.  6.0/6.2 LS is a beast.

I think Furd sells a Quad cab 8' bed F 150, BTW.

For the record, my 2013 Sierra Quad cab w/ the 5.3 tows great. I did install the rubber helper springs and haven't had to use the load levelers that came with my trailer.  I've hauled the Galaxie w/ 8 spares on the tire rack, small roller tool box, bikes, BBQ (all on the trailer) with no problems whatsoever.

If you're looking a little outside the box, my partner in crime has a 1984 Suburban 454/T400 2wd he purchased from California.  Now has < 80K miles on it.  Brand new load range E tires, A/C needs service.  1000.00 

If he doesn't sell, might make a great "racebrick".

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Get the 3/4 ton

I have a 2011 F250 with the 6.2 gas motor and get 13-14 around town as a DD and when towing the enclosed trailer  it drops to 9-10 depending on how fast I drive.

Built in brake controller works great

2014 Spring Southern Discomfort- I.O.E. Winner 1956 Crown Vic , Fall CMP 5th place class C Pinto,
2015 Barber 2nd class C Pinto, 2015 Class C WINNER Spring CMP, 2015 Fall CMP Mid pack class B

Fuzzy Blumpkins/GoPher Broke - 1979 Pinto Limited Edition Squire "Titleless", 1988 Merkur XR4TI......why oh why?

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:

If you're looking a little outside the box, my partner in crime has a 1984 Suburban 454/T400 2wd he purchased from California.  Now has < 80K miles on it.  Brand new load range E tires, A/C needs service.  1000.00  .

A small part of me always wanted to see how hard putting my NV4500 in one of the C2500 suburbans would be.  That said, I do need a bed since I have an enclosed trailer. 

When I started this journey about two years ago the combo options were 3/4 Suburban/Excursion with and open "combo" trailer with stake pockets or a 3/4 pick-up with a later purchase of the enclosed trailer.  I made the right decision but at the time we had a light car with light spares for 7500# max trailer was plenty.  The racevan has changed that equation.

Been looking for a Suburban 2500hd 6.0l  vs my current 5.3l Tahoe LT  the Tahoe weighs 5200 lbs and can tow a reasonable wight but the lack of wheelbase makes it taxing to tow with. 

They both get roughly the same fuel economy and the Suburban will swallow up more stuff making it a smarter choice the bad being everyone thinks their 210K mile vehicle is worth 10K in my area.

Red Lemons Racing wrote:

Been looking for a Suburban 2500hd 6.0l  vs my current 5.3l Tahoe LT  the Tahoe weighs 5200 lbs and can tow a reasonable wight but the lack of wheelbase makes it taxing to tow with. 

They both get roughly the same fuel economy and the Suburban will swallow up more stuff making it a smarter choice the bad being everyone thinks their 210K mile vehicle is worth 10K in my area.

I can find the prior gen with 454 all day long for $1000-3000.  When you get 10 mpg in the city, they do not have much value.

I can find the occasional 150K 6.0 Suburban/Yukon XL for about $6K around here as well.  The issue I have found is the interiors are just beat/trashed.  V10 Excursion run about the same, maybe a little more, but seem to have fared better.

Here is your solution
http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/5337059834.html
http://images.craigslist.org/00L0L_6ABrTTsc9WK_600x450.jpg

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

screw towing with that

IOE!
IOE!
IOE!

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!