Re: New 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:

screw towing with that

IOE!
IOE!
IOE!

I kind of feel you should drive this to the track and then build a car by welding a bunch of steel drums and various garbage you find around the track.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

OnkelUdo wrote:

So, here is my quandary.  1/2 ton trucks with the big motor and low geared rear end meet all the requirements...except one, normally no 8' bed with the smallest 4-door cab.  3/4 trucks can meet all the requirements but do I want to live with the HD suspension of a 3/4 ton all day long?

I was a chassis engineer on 1/2 and 3/4 trucks for many years.  I know the specs on the 1/2 ton trucks seem impressive and maybe not that different from a 3/4 ton truck.  But believe me, there is a huge difference in the vehicles.  The 1/2 ton trucks are at the ragged edge when at the limits, the 3/4 ton trucks have a huge safety margin.  Go with a 3/4 ton.  You get much more for your money.

2016 Pacific Northworst 1st in A class and overall win
2016 Arizona D-Bags 1st in A class and overall win
2015 Arse-Freeze -Apalooza 1st in C class
8 time loser and counting

If you are at the 8k-9k lb range and tow regularly, then there is no discussion to be had. 3/4 ton is the way to go.

The Roto-Racer '89 Merkur:  If it ain't rusting, It ain't racing.

'14 Real Hoopties of NJ: Judges Choice

nineronesix wrote:

I was a chassis engineer on 1/2 and 3/4 trucks for many years.  I know the specs on the 1/2 ton trucks seem impressive and maybe not that different from a 3/4 ton truck.  But believe me, there is a huge difference in the modern versions of the vehicles.  The 1/2 ton trucks are at the ragged edge when at the limits, the 3/4 ton trucks have a huge safety margin.  Go with a 3/4 ton.  You get much more for your money.

FTFY.  My 1995 C2500 is exactly the same chassis as the 1/2 ton.  Axles, suspension, wheels/tires, brakes, tranny (sometimes) and cooling were the only differences.  Heck the 3/4 in those years was offered in every engine choice in the GMC light duty truck arsenal...lots of 4.3L C2500 made it into the municipal truck fleets.

I think it was 1999/2000 when GM went to a purpose built HD chassis for 2500/3500.

Back to the original topic, though.  I did find a new exception to my "has to be new" requirement.  The last generation of the 7.3 idi F250's in rwd, 4-door, long bed, seem to actually be pretty common and reasonably priced in the great state of DFW in the country of Texas.  They are all white XLT Lariats for some reason.  Maybe it is the State bird?

OnkelUdo wrote:
nineronesix wrote:

I was a chassis engineer on 1/2 and 3/4 trucks for many years.  I know the specs on the 1/2 ton trucks seem impressive and maybe not that different from a 3/4 ton truck.  But believe me, there is a huge difference in the modern versions of the vehicles.  The 1/2 ton trucks are at the ragged edge when at the limits, the 3/4 ton trucks have a huge safety margin.  Go with a 3/4 ton.  You get much more for your money.

FTFY.  My 1995 C2500 is exactly the same chassis as the 1/2 ton.  Axles, suspension, wheels/tires, brakes, tranny (sometimes) and cooling were the only differences.  Heck the 3/4 in those years was offered in every engine choice in the GMC light duty truck arsenal...lots of 4.3L C2500 made it into the municipal truck fleets.

I think it was 1999/2000 when GM went to a purpose built HD chassis for 2500/3500.

Back to the original topic, though.  I did find a new exception to my "has to be new" requirement.  The last generation of the 7.3 idi F250's in rwd, 4-door, long bed, seem to actually be pretty common and reasonably priced in the great state of DFW in the country of Texas.  They are all white XLT Lariats for some reason.  Maybe it is the State bird?

Are you sure about that?  I had a 1996 GMC Sierra 2500 and I had it right next to the same vintage 1500 and other than the body EVERYTHING is different, The framerails (while not as beefy as today) were significantly larger, it sat higher, has larger front brakes, 8 lug wheels, 12 bolt rear, the rear drums are massively different, the best tranny you can get in a 1500 was the 4L60E (700R4), it has the 4L80E in it.  I don't know what you saw, but there is an enormous difference.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

I hope you mean 7.3 PS and not 7.3 IDI. These are two very different engines!
IDI is not turbocharged. A few in the last year of the IDI did get turbo's but not as a power booster.

The 7.3 PS is a good engine and some owners have claimed getting 1,000,000 miles from them without a rebuild.
When used hard they can still last 300K. As with anything, if abused it won't last 1/2 that.

I drove a1996-97 F450 with the 7.3 PS and hauled a 5th wheel trailer regularly grossing over 25K. It wasn't fast to speed but I was able to stay with traffic.

32 (edited by OnkelUdo 2016-01-14 12:32 PM)

RogueLeader wrote:

Are you sure about that?  I had a 1996 GMC Sierra 2500 and I had it right next to the same vintage 1500 and other than the body EVERYTHING is different, The framerails (while not as beefy as today) were significantly larger, it sat higher, has larger front brakes, 8 lug wheels, 12 bolt rear, the rear drums are massively different, the best tranny you can get in a 1500 was the 4L60E (700R4), it has the 4L80E in it.  I don't know what you saw, but there is an enormous difference.

The 2500's came in both 8 and 6 lug wheels with either full or semi-float axles (14 bolt in both cases..10.5 and 9.5 respectively)...so significantly better than the 1500 with one betterer than the other.  Every part from the PnP on 1500's has swapped over to my 1995 2500 except what I listed.  I may have overstated the similarity, though as it appears for 1996 and later they did BOTH and HD and LD version of the 2500 with differences in the frame that added the "extra bracing" and 1" taller (under cab) frame rail from the late 1995 C3500 (apparently they came that way from the start on the K3500).  This apparently makes the whole thing really fun when picking parts for the 1996+.  Yep, I am now confused as well.  I did not realize there were structural changes after a whopping one year in production.

The ride height is high because of the extra leaf in the rear and the much larger diameter coil up front (and a thicker anti-roll bar).  Brakes are larger both front and rear as I mentioned.  In 1995 the tranny choices were 4L60E, NV3500, NV4500 or 4L80E depending on configuration (again 2500 only).  This probably why the guy at Napa would not even pull a u-joint for me without me bringing in the old one to compare it against.

Clear as mud?

jimbbski wrote:

I hope you mean 7.3 PS and not 7.3 IDI.

You caught me.  7.3 PS.

34 (edited by RogueLeader 2016-01-14 01:29 PM)

OnkelUdo wrote:
RogueLeader wrote:

The 2500's came in both 8 and 6 lug wheels with either full or semi-float axles (14 bolt in both cases..10.5 and 9.5 respectively)...so significantly better than the 1500 with one betterer than the other.  Every part from the PnP on 1500's has swapped over to my 1995 2500 except what I listed.  I may have overstated the similarity, though as it appears for 1996 and later they did BOTH and HD and LD version of the 2500 with differences in the frame that added the "extra bracing" and 1" taller (under cab) frame rail from the late 1995 C3500 (apparently they came that way from the start on the K3500).  This apparently makes the whole thing really fun when picking parts for the 1996+.  Yep, I am now confused as well.  I did not realize there were structural changes after a whopping one year in production.

The ride height is high because of the extra leaf in the rear and the much larger diameter coil up front (and a thicker anti-roll bar).  Brakes are larger both front and rear as I mentioned.  In 1995 the tranny choices were 4L60E, NV3500, NV4500 or 4L80E depending on configuration (again 2500 only).  This probably why the guy at Napa would not even pull a u-joint for me without me bringing in the old one to compare it against.

Clear as mud?

Yeah I dont know why I said 12 bolt mine had a 14 bolt.  I do know the 2WD 2500's could be had with a weaker tranny (why bother) 4L60E.  Also fun, there are 2 different rear drum sizes on the 2500 and no easy way to know which yours has without removing and measuring it.  How do I know?  I bought the wrong ones and couldn't return them.

RogueLeader wrote:

Also fun, there are 2 different rear drum sizes on the 2500 and no easy way to know which yours has without removing and measuring it.  How do I know?  I bought the wrong ones and couldn't return them.

Been there with my '02 2500 HD. Different size hats on the rear rotors. Just another "WTF General?!" moments.

Sorry For Party Racing! - 1985 Pontiac Firebird - Car #35

A race car exists only in two states: broken or in the process of becoming that way.

OnkelUdo wrote:
nineronesix wrote:

All three made light duty 3/4 tons (or heavy duty 1/2 tons) at some point in time.  Generally they are just 1/2 tons with one extra lug nut.  At Ford we called them F150 7700.  Good luck finding 7 lug wheels.

2016 Pacific Northworst 1st in A class and overall win
2016 Arizona D-Bags 1st in A class and overall win
2015 Arse-Freeze -Apalooza 1st in C class
8 time loser and counting

37 (edited by Drdanteiii 2016-01-15 06:00 AM)

nineronesix wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:
nineronesix wrote:

All three made light duty 3/4 tons (or heavy duty 1/2 tons) at some point in time.  Generally they are just 1/2 tons with one extra lug nut.  At Ford we called them F150 7700.  Good luck finding 7 lug wheels.

in the mid 90's GM definitely had "LD" and "HD" 2500's.   The LD's were mostly 1500 running gear with bigger brakes, radiators, and rears.  I swapped a 9.5" Semi-float, 6-lug, 14-bolt rear into my 96 Tahoe out of one.  Complete bolt in swap.  It even had 3.42 gears already.  If 3.42's dont say "light duty"  I don't know what does.

but to get back on topic,  All the 1/2tons these days have moved solidly into the capability of these LD 3/4 / HD 1/2 ton trucks of days gone by.  not that it matters, since it seems like the 1/2 tons is out of the question give the OP's intended use.

The Roto-Racer '89 Merkur:  If it ain't rusting, It ain't racing.

'14 Real Hoopties of NJ: Judges Choice

Too bad you're not closer.  I have a 2000 PSD F350 I'm probably going to be selling this year.  It's an automatic, 4x4, crew cab long bed.  GA truck, so no rust.  And rubber floor mats, which was (hilariously) a $40 option credit on the window sticker of a nearly $40,000 truck in 2000. 

160,000 miles, all the PSD common- failure items replaced in the last 2 years, sailed through MD inspection about 2 years ago. 

One thing to keep in mind, the pre-99 trucks had the weaker automatic trans.  The 4 speed trans in the '99 and on trucks are known to be much better.  Also, the 2003 7.3 went to a different connecting rod, which isn't as strong.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

mechimike wrote:

Too bad you're not closer.  I have a 2000 PSD F350 I'm probably going to be selling this year.  It's an automatic, 4x4, crew cab long bed.  GA truck, so no rust.  And rubber floor mats, which was (hilariously) a $40 option credit on the window sticker of a nearly $40,000 truck in 2000. 

160,000 miles, all the PSD common- failure items replaced in the last 2 years, sailed through MD inspection about 2 years ago. 

One thing to keep in mind, the pre-99 trucks had the weaker automatic trans.  The 4 speed trans in the '99 and on trucks are known to be much better.  Also, the 2003 7.3 went to a different connecting rod, which isn't as strong.

Maryland is far away?  I was just mentioning DFW as a market which is three more hours away than Baltimore.

If it were not 4x4 (I assume SRW and not dually since you did not mention it), I would be asking for information right now as you hit all the other hot button items.  Even then, make sure you list it here if you do decide to sell.  I am waiting on the tax return before considering used and waiting for Alimony to end before considering new.  Buying from a known, trusted source is huge in my book.  Nothing is more expensive than a cheap, poorly maintained vehicle...except a race car...or a horse...or a sailboat.

Would there be a way to leverage government fleet pricing? Maybe you couldn't get exactly what a local government unit would pay for a truck, but I bet you could get pretty close. The dealer has to make some money at the government contract rate to begin with.

Oakland County, for example, can get Long Box Crew Cab 4x4 Silverado 2500s for under $28k - https://www.oakgov.com/purchasing/Docum … ricing.pdf

41 (edited by mechimike 2016-01-15 11:09 AM)

OnkelUdo wrote:
mechimike wrote:

Maryland is far away?  I was just mentioning DFW as a market which is three more hours away than Baltimore.

If it were not 4x4 (I assume SRW and not dually since you did not mention it), I would be asking for information right now as you hit all the other hot button items.  Even then, make sure you list it here if you do decide to sell.  I am waiting on the tax return before considering used and waiting for Alimony to end before considering new.  Buying from a known, trusted source is huge in my book.  Nothing is more expensive than a cheap, poorly maintained vehicle...except a race car...or a horse...or a sailboat.

Sorry, I assumed DFW meant Dallas Fort-Worth.  :-P

Yeah, single rear wheel.  Duallies are fairly unnecessary, IMO.  I'm like you, I'm not a brodozer fan, I just bought this truck because I needed something that would tow and haul, when we moved here from SC.  I made many thousands of miles worth of trips with this truck, which pretty much resulted in me replacing all of those common PSD failure items as I mentioned above.  I have somewhere north of 6000 dollars in receipts of work done- mostly by a local shop.  It's got 4 tires with about 10,000 miles on them, a soft-topper, a 10,000 lb class 3 hitch, trailer brake controller, and a decent radio.  I replaced the crappy OEM front hubs with aftermarket manual ones, had the front end overhauled, and it's got a 6 position chip installed with multiple towing settings.  _Everything_ I've done tot he truck was to make it either more reliable, or more useful as a piece of equipment.  There's zero B-S going on.  Rubber floor mats, cloth seats, sprayed-in bedliner.  The paint's not pretty and it has a few scratches and dings (no rust, though), and the running boards need to be replaced.  But it's a tank.  I'm fairly confident it's good for at least another 120,000 miles before it needs anything other than normal maintenance and a set or 2 of tires. 

15 mpg is usually what it gets unloaded.  I saw 18 once on the highway.  And towing a 10,000 pound enclosed trailer I once got in the upper 10s.

'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"

nickD wrote:

Would there be a way to leverage government fleet pricing? Maybe you couldn't get exactly what a local government unit would pay for a truck, but I bet you could get pretty close. The dealer has to make some money at the government contract rate to begin with.

Oakland County, for example, can get Long Box Crew Cab 4x4 Silverado 2500s for under $28k - https://www.oakgov.com/purchasing/Docum … ricing.pdf

Not really.  The reason i say that is because all that stuff is technically a voluntary anyway.  Unless it was Federal contract, it has to pass through a local dealer who gets special compensation from the automaker.  Same with rental car "collective bargaining" for the big three (actually really two) rental agencies.

Besides, what I want I can get for $32k.  $4K is a lot of money but at the end of the day, the shenanigans required to glob onto someone else's fleet contract would not be worth it.  For Ford I already get X-plan pricing which is about as low as I could get negotiating.  I have an in with certain Ram dealer that can guarantee I can get a good offer there I will accept.  With those two in hand, Chevy would fall in line.

Any closer to finding your new truck?

#44 VW Jetta "Le Mondrian"
Arsesweat '17 finished 10th in (B), 3 finishes in 7 races
#96 Silver Subaru Legacy Automatic w Orange Top (formerly)

I was just doing research.  I cannot move before I have my tax return (used, older, very specific) or alimony is done early next year.

Also, a lot depends on how my ancient C2500 (with over >240K miles) does on the round trip Chicagoland to Barber.

Sure, the temptation of the new 3/4 ton is strong but I am a cheap bastard at heart.  For the number of destination races we are gong to do (max 1 per year) there is no "business case" that makes sense even with a used truck.  Conversely, spending a couple hundred on real set of airbags and couple more adding used lower geared rear end even preemptively replacing the clutch...that I can make a business case for.  It still will ride like crap and be a terrible daily driver (but I have a car for that).

The search is over...just found the (almost) work truck of my dreams.  A holdover 2015 F250 Supercab with only two options...locker rear end and trailer brake controller.  Manual windows.  Manual locks.  Steel wheels and 2WD.  Not fleet white.  Even has the terrible radio with neon tube display and BOTH AM and FM.

The deal was great enough I signed preliminary paperwork today to have it transferred to the local dealer.

I lacks the back-up cam and cruise but both of those can be solved.

46 (edited by RogueLeader 2016-02-04 08:18 AM)

OnkelUdo wrote:

The search is over...just found the (almost) work truck of my dreams.  A holdover 2015 F250 Supercab with only two options...locker rear end and trailer brake controller.  Manual windows.  Manual locks.  Steel wheels and 2WD.  Not fleet white.  Even has the terrible radio with neon tube display and BOTH AM and FM.

The deal was great enough I signed preliminary paperwork today to have it transferred to the local dealer.

Nice congrats!

For a backup camera I highly reccomend this:

http://smile.amazon.com/Hopkins-50002-S … kup+camera

It plugs in inline with your hitch plug so no splice, nothing special.  If its a long bed you may need an extension cable, if you call or email them they will mail you out a 6 foot one very fast for free.  Or heck I think I have a spare one if you want it.  They sent me 2 but for my 2500HD 8 foot ext cab I only needed one and still had some left over.

OnkelUdo wrote:

They still make roll up windows?

48 (edited by OnkelUdo 2016-02-09 05:21 AM)

mechimike wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:

Duh!  Otherwise how could I be buying them.  Ford has a "convenience package" for about $1200 (list) that bundles two things no one "needs" and one that lead foot drivers do need...electric windows, locks and cruise.  It also adds a couple other things depending on configuration.

I am not being sarcastic when I highly applaud Ford for still offer manual windows and locks.

mechimike wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:

Yea, the new E350's I was driving for a tire place in 2014 had roll up and everything.

The Dealers make it a pain to get a bare bones truck these days, but the company still makes them.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

I would think a $120 package would be a better deal than cludging on some hokey aftermarket cruise control.