1 (edited by Mulry 2016-01-27 08:34 PM)

Topic: Great Source for Automotive Electrical Connectors

I've long looked for high-quality automotive electrical connectors with little luck, settling on Weather Pack connectors for lack of other good choices and vendors. Finally, I found a source at PRI last December and am using their product as I wire up the new car and thought I should share it with the community. I have no affiliation with the company other than being a satisfied customer:

www.wirecare.com

They stock the entire range of Deutsch automotive electrical connectors, from the really expensive mil-spec type and the also-spendy AS line (which you've seen used in F1 when there are a lot of simultaneous electrical connections, like mating the entire engine harness to the chassis), but also the more affordable DT series. They have a good assembly-order process on the website, so if you need a 8-cavity plug, it will automatically put all 10 pieces that you need to complete that connector into the same order. (They have a ton of other wiring products too, including the best split-loom I've ever found, far better than the common consumer electric type. They also have one that looks like cotton tape if you're restoring an older car)

Caveat is that these connectors are about twice as expensive as the venerable WeatherPack connector (a 6-cavity Deutsch DT is $15.41 versus $8.95 for a 6-cavity assembly from Pegasus). But I've never had great luck getting the WeatherPack pins and sockets to line up 100% of the time and they always feel cheap and flimsy and not so weathertight, whereas the Deutsch connectors have a very positive locking system, feel very durable, and have substantial rubber seals at every point of connection.

Anyway, I thought I'd share since some of you are probably in the same boat. Cheers.

PS If you go this route, do yourself a favor and buy the crimping tool. It's WELL worth the money to get a very solid 4-way crimp on these connectors.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Re: Great Source for Automotive Electrical Connectors

Thanks for the tip... Who here in Dallas could wire up my Lexus body harness?

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

I thought you were needing somebody to troubleshoot the harness?

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

I use a lot of metro-pack connectors. This place has pretty much anything
https://www.theelectricaldepot.com

My time to shine!

This will require a bit more work, but you can buy pretty much any automotive connector at major electronics suppliers like Mouser, Digi-Key, and Newark. The downside is that these sites are less friendly if you don't know exactly what you want.

Delphi (the maker of metro-pack) also makes a verity of other connectors including bulkhead (ie engine harness going through a firewall to a body harness). They were the sole supplier of GM harnesses for a while in the 90s and early 2000s before they were spun off. Here's a link to an older Delphi catalog that has most of their product in one place. Unfortunately, it seems like most connector companies, Delphi included, have since moved to listing each line (and in some cases, each product) separately.

Other companies that make automotive connectors include TE, tyco, and molex.

Much like anything else in the automotive world, OEs (ie Honda, GM, whatever) tend to use suppliers with a presence in their domestic market (see factory Enkei wheels on Japanese cars, BBS wheels on German cars, etc). The same holds true for racing teams.

6 (edited by Mulry 2016-01-28 11:34 AM)

I looked into buying those Deutsch connectors from Mouser (mostly because they're pretty local to me so shipping is like the minute before I hit "buy" on the order form, and I've ordered some other really cool connectors from them in the past), but it was a real pain to figure out what part numbers I needed with what parts. The wirecare website just lines up all that automagically. Plus it seemed like the pins and sockets themselves were somehow almost 3x more expensive on Mouser, which really surprised me, enough that I wondered if they weren't pricing the same item or qty of items.

Good enough for us.

http://g04.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB10ycfKpXXXXc2XXXXq6xXFXXXu/Scotch-Lock-Quick-Splice-18-14-AWG-Wire-Connector.jpg

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

8 (edited by jrbe 2016-01-28 03:18 PM)

If you have a part number octopart.com is a great resource to find anything electronic-ey. If you don't have a part # their search has come a long way.

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?

Mulry wrote:

I thought you were needing somebody to troubleshoot the harness?

Yep... engine harness all stock and in, rest a big pile of wires. sad

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

When I need anything electrical, I just go to "The Box".

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20708720/2015_Corvair_wire_box_small.jpg

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook

mechimike wrote:

Good enough for us.

http://g04.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB10ycfKpXXXXc2XXXXq6xXFXXXu/Scotch-Lock-Quick-Splice-18-14-AWG-Wire-Connector.jpg

I was a fan of Scotchlocks until it took us hours to trace a fuel problem at a test day before a race. The wires within the Scotchlock for the fuel pump were making intermittent contact. Now everything important is crimped and soldered.

Peter St Pierre             #63 Hong Norrth "C" Supra
     5th Place: 2016 CMP Fall
     6th place: 2015 Autobahn 24 hour
     2nd place: 2014 CMP Fall : 17th place: 2014 CMP Southern Discomfort Spring

revvhappy wrote:
mechimike wrote:

I was a fan of Scotchlocks until it took us hours to trace a fuel problem at a test day before a race. The wires within the Scotchlock for the fuel pump were making intermittent contact. Now everything important is crimped and soldered.

Fondly referred to as vampire connectors. On top of intermittent connectivity issues, previous owners like to use units that are too small for the wire they're tapping, which results in strand breakage. They're OK in something that won't move around much, I wouldn't personally use them in a car.

If you're looking to do a wire to wire repair, I recommend DuraSeal crimp connectors and the like. If you're soldering, adhesive lined heat shrink is the way to go. If you're going to solder, make sure you're getting the solder to wick into your wiring.