Re: First-Ever Lemons Corvette... and we gave it zero BS laps!

Thebadv8volvo wrote:

I'm on the vette team - weekend was mostly a failure for getting the car working but...

Failure? You won Organizer's Choice!

magnusracing wrote:
Thebadv8volvo wrote:

2) Injection system only works at idle, under load it cuts out, sputters, and has pressure drops

Seems like something is clogged? If you're using a fuel cell do you have fuel cell foam? And if so do you have any kind of screen or filter before your fuel pump? My understanding (from the Great Pendejo) is that most OEM type high pressure fuel pumps will fail VERY quickly due to tiny bits of fuel cell foam unless there is an appropriate filter or screen in place.

sounds like it's working just as GM designed it.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

failure?
dude you guys are my hero's of the weekend!
sort it and bring it back with or without FI!
smile
Tim

Is the pump mounted in the fuel cell? If you use the in-tank immersion pump externally it won't work because it must push, not pull and it needs fuel immersion for cooling..

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

check ALL the grounds on the elec system. then replace the power supply to the pump. i'm thinking you have a cracked wired somewhere......

Mostly a failure - winning organizers choice made the weekend! Although it may be best spent on cancer treatment after snorting fuel-lines...

We've used in tank and in-line pumps - no dice. Ground has been changed, seems solid. It seems a different intermittent issue; sometimes it runs fine at WOT, and another lap I literally paraded around Phoenix at idle. I'm pretty sure the tow-truck lap was quickest.

We'll be back for sure - its just a question of getting EFI sorted or Carb.

Just run a hot wire to the fuel pump with a saftey shut-off toggle switch on it. That will eliminate all the bs involved with the electric fuel pump. We do it on the injected derby cars.

E=MC Hammered
E30, 302I (ME car)
Pintoghini with turbo 2.3L
Old Spice Crown Victoria

33 (edited by Armand4 2010-01-25 11:04 PM)

Do you really want to keep the fuel injection?  I'm no Corvette expert, but I can't imagine any power increase that a quarter-century-old electronic injection system might provide that would make it worth fixing rather than replacing with a swap-meet four-barrel.  Or two of them, on a grimy junkyard tunnel-ram sticking through the hood.  Even if you lose a few horses, I'd assume that the reliability gains would make it all worthwhile.

Of course, I only say that because I'm a hack mechanic and I'm afraid of all this newfangled fuel injection stuff.  You might be better at this than I am-- you're certainly a hell of a lot braver.

I give a nod for the carb(s) as well.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

Seems the fuel pump worked long enough to reveal some other issues.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/eyesoreracing/Lemon/LemonsPhoenixpainandsuffering1.jpg

Junkyards are overflowing with Chevy and GMC trucks equipped with perfectly functional Q-Jets on cast-iron intakes, though (given the 79-cent residual value Jay will probably give the Corvette) the TrannyLumberjacks should be able to afford some super-redneck Edelbrock Performer/Holley 600 combo on Craigslist.

1985 cars have a mass air meter control module behind the passenger side dash.  It powers it and heats the Mass air element to clean it and changes the signal so that the computer can read it.  If its not working the car will only idle if it cranks....  Also fuel pressure?  fuel return line??  I have the tuning software for the car, but its cheaper to buy an intake and a carb off a 80's camaro or trans am.  Then go race. Remember if you change to a carb to change the fuel pump to a lower pressure model. 

btw..  you are fighting a losing battle with the early TPi

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/kb/ … eplacement

#84 FusterCluck Mustang

+1 on the carb, but maybe rethink the dreaded Q-Jet...you don't need a spread-bore for racing, and you don't need to try to take apart that sumbitch in the pits... IMHO, best junkyard card is Ford 4160....which is a Holley without the high price...

Jim "Endo" Anderton

just about anything would be better than c4 FI for Lemons... that nightmare system is truly heinous, with satan in. I'd rather run a single mikuni dirtbike carb than the stock FI.

+1 for holley

at least it was an 85...not the infamous "cease fire" crossfire injection the 84 had....but I also would put a carb on it...its just too easy and cheap not to do it

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

You guys are thinking too small. Sure, Holley is the way to go on the Corvette... four Holley two-barrels off early Ford Rangers, that is!

MurileeMartin wrote:

You guys are thinking too small. Sure, Holley is the way to go on the Corvette... four Holley two-barrels off early Ford Rangers, that is!

How about two Spica systems from a pair of Alfas?

Armand4 wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:

How about two Spica systems from a pair of Alfas?

Yes! All you need to do is find the the two guys left in the world who can tune them, both of whom died last year. Don't forget the extra drive belts!

Maybe 4 Hitachis from a 70s Toyota? There's gotta be some kind of Lemons appropriate carb choice here...

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 143 races and counting.
2/25/24

16+ moped carbs

I gotta go with Marvel-Schebler updrafts a la Minneapolis-Moline...

Jim "Endo" Anderton

How about some S.U.'s or Strombergs?

The BING Type 48 "is the ideal carburation unit for equipment which has to operate reliably in all positions and attitudes (chain saws, brush cutters or else) which is subjected to particularly heavy vibrations" so that sounds about right for a Chevy, especially if you plan to be upside-down for extended periods:

http://www.bingpower.de/english/products/type48.html

I've had excellent luck with their Type 21/20/108 in my car.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

you want to be true heros? get TWO bosch K-Jet mechanical systems from the 2.6 190Es and make it work on the SBC big_smile

Serj wrote:

you want to be true heros? get TWO bosch K-Jet mechanical systems from the 2.6 190Es and make it work on the SBC big_smile

naw....a good 928 K jet will work......pretty cheap too....  I even have one for sale....complete with 4.5L V8 attached!!!  Then can support well over 300hp too!!

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

icemang17 wrote:
Serj wrote:

naw....a good 928 K jet will work......pretty cheap too....  I even have one for sale....complete with 4.5L V8 attached!!!  Then can support well over 300hp too!!

haha, that would be interesting to see working. i dare the corvette dudes to dooo eiitt!