Topic: Kirkey Intermediate Seat Question

I'm thinking of ordering one of the Kirkey intermediate road racing seats.  It appears that sliding seat mounts are not available for them.  Kirkey appears to offer only mounts that adjust by tilting the seat.  I suppose this can work if the seat mounted close enough and tipped forward to suit the 5'6" person and then tipped back for taller people.  But won't that put the tall guy's knees up into the steering wheel.

Does anyone have experience with these?

Is it difficult to adjust them quickly during pit stops?
Does anyone make a slide for them?
Are slides less safe?

http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant2/m … ry_Code=IH

“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

Re: Kirkey Intermediate Seat Question

I have put them on a slider but they are a bit of a pain.  but they are cheep.

if you practiced mounting and then remounting the bolts in a Kirkey seat everyday until the end of time you would be lucky to get it done in under 15 minutes.  this is not a viable option IMO.

put it on a slider.  set a happy median with the tilt angle for all your drivers.  get some pads for either the seat bottom or seat back (or both) to insert / remove at driver changes.

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

We use the Kirkey Pro Drag on sliders.

I'd imagine you could use the Kirkey adapter to go between the seat and a slider. 

It's aluminum and they don't look all the beefy.  While I don't think it looks all that strong, I doubt Kirkey would sell it if it wasn't up to the task.

Make sure your seat will be comfortable enough for all your drivers.

We try to run 1.5 hour stints so comfort and support are both factors.

For most racing, 20 minutes is a long time in a car.  For us, that's just a warm up.  Keep that in mind when a circle tracker or sprint racer talks to you about seats.

For our better drivers, they get more seat time in one stint then they do in a whole SCCA weekend.

We went to the track yesterday and I got some quality passenger seat time.  It's a 17" seat and a bit wide for me.  I could have used some more side padding to hold me in place.  I was feeling it in my sides in one session. 

Wish we had a G meter cause it felt like we were pulling a lot of them!

We planned to use the 36 Series Intermediate until we tried it.  It just wasn't going to work well with various sized drivers.  We've had drivers from 105 - 250+, low 5 footers to tall 6 footers.  Our 16" seat has worked pretty well.  We have a booster for shorties.

The 47 Series Intermediate Road Race seat from I/O port is quite different from the 36 Series Intermediate seat.

The sides on the 47 Series wrap around less so the backs of your arms are not likely to be rubbing on the rib supports.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

We use a Kirkey Intermediate Road Race Seat in the 17" width. We have it mounted on the Kirkey side supports via a set of OMP sliders from Pegasus race parts. We use an i/o port adjustable rear seat support. It is kind of a pain to get set up, but once it's all set up, it works like a dream, very easy for the driver to adjust and then another crew member re-sets the pin in the i/o port adjuster and you're all set to go.

There are a lot of people who argue that slides are less safe, but the fact is that (a) every freaking car on the planet uses them these days, so I don't think they're unreasonably unsafe and (b) unless your drivers are all pretty much the same height, you've gotta use slides anyway. I've messed with the Sparco slides and the OMP ones and I like the OMP setup better. I had to fabricate a bracket to make it work right with our seat but I'm not convinced that you'd absolutely have to do that.

Good luck. Pipe up if you have more questions.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

We ran a Kirkey 17" drag race seat last race.  It was moderately comfortable and worked pretty well to hold me and my other drivers in.  We are all around the same height, 5-11 to 6-1 so sliders weren't needed BUT I didn't like the lack of lateral support and though that the single layer aluminum would not be very good in a serious accident.

That said I went on e-bay and bought an ex-Nascar seat from a fairly well known team for less than the Kirkey drag seat.  It is 100% stronger and has side bolsters, wrap arounds and serious reinforcement.  This seat will not bend in a crash.

Think about it, even the slow Lemons hit 60.  Do you want to take the carnival ride tumbling end over end in a crappy seat?

Go online, find a good solid road racing seat and if you need sliders, make sure that they have the strength to withstand at least a thousand pounds of impact force. 

Your belts will take 90% of the load, the seat and sliders have to take the rest.

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

One other thing related to seats and safety.

Don't skimp on padding.  Use real viscoelastic foam like the professionals use.  It isn't expensive if you know where to get it.

Go to this site.  Order the end cuts, it isn't pretty and has a rough side but this stuff will make an endurance race tolerable and save you in a crash.

http://www.sunmatecushions.com/sunmate_discounts.php

Your ass will thank you.

Bill

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

Even though we have the Pro Drag seat, I'll say it's only so comfortable.  I wish it had more padding.

We initially had a Plastic Drag Bucket.  It wasn't very good and it was really to short for a lot of drivers.  The holes for the shoulder straps were a bit low.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

I got the Kirkey Intermediate Road Race Seat in 18" for our ride. I'm a big guy at 5-11, 300+ and 42-44" waist. with the pad it fit like a glove. kirkeys are great seats but if you're a little loose you definitely should get some padding, even if it's some sleeping pad foam around your mid-section. just make sure it's a bit snug, and you have your belts on properly.