Topic: Kill switch on a generator car

It's terrible trying to google this problem. I keep getting RV people trying to remotely cut off their generators.

I bought a kill switch with two main posts and two secondary circuits. I would like to run the ignition through one of the secondary circuits and the main power through the big circuit. This will cut power to everything and keep the ignition separated from the charging system so the car won't run after the switch is turned off.

Is there anything else I need to worry about? Will their be any need for something like a bleed down circuit? The killswitch came with a big resistor. Do I need it for something or is it an alternator thing?

Planet Express
"IOE" "C Win" 4834.701 Race Miles and counting
Toyocedes
"Least Southern Pickup Truck" "IOE" "C win" "C win (again?)"

Re: Kill switch on a generator car

It's really easy. One side gets the positive battery cable going to the battery, and the large wire from the alternator. The other side gets everything else. The large starter wire, ignition wires, the fuse box, literally everything else. No need for resistors.

Easy peasy, and Bob's your uncle.

That makes it sound like the generator isn't going through the killswitch. Is that correct?
As long as I don't hurt the generator somehow I'm confident in my plans.

Planet Express
Toyocedes

The generator will be able to dump it's power to the battery as it's winding down, which will be fine. Just be aware the output post of the generator will be hot at all times, so cover it appropriately.

5 (edited by FPRbuzz 2016-03-17 08:52 AM)

And that is kosher with the rules? I'm not too keen on having the generator always hot if I don't have to.

Planet Express
Toyocedes

Lots of alternator/generator and starter posts are hot all the time. I isolate my starter with a remote relay but the alternator post is hot all the time.

Is it bad for it to wire it the way I mentioned?

Planet Express
Toyocedes

At first I thought you were talking about like having a gas generator separate from your engine. Doing like locomotive hybrid thing.
Then realized you were talking about the alternator.

By rules its not kosher to keep alternator bypassed the kill switch. aka keeping post hot.
But with computers, you dont really want to cut battery per rules. The spike will kill all microelectronics.
So best per rules connect the alternator though that secondary switch, so when you trigger it, alternator and battery cut off. Just have a resistor on the alternator at all times. so when you do flip the switch, energy is dissipated.

This only works if secondary circuit can handle 30+ amps, cause alternator can put out that much. Specially if battery is low.
Alternatively, if you can cut the field coil to the alternator, that will work nicely too. that be better solution. Just run field coil through the switch.

https://www.facebook.com/greatglobsofoil/
This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu(C>B>C>B) , 1996 Nissan Maxima OnlyFans (B) , Sold 1996 Ford Probe GT(B),

Rules say power needs to be cut. Not supposed to leave the alt connected to the battery with the switch off.
6 pole kill switches turn on a shorting resistor when you shut the kill switch off to give the power somewhere to go. It also has the benefit of a second cut off circuit so you can kill power to the coil for positive shutdown.

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?

kakarot1232001 wrote:

By rules its not kosher to keep alternator bypassed the kill switch. aka keeping post hot.
But with computers, you dont really want to cut battery per rules. The spike will kill all microelectronics.
So best per rules connect the alternator though that secondary switch, so when you trigger it, alternator and battery cut off. Just have a resistor on the alternator at all times. so when you do flip the switch, energy is dissipated.

The only thing other than the points/coil will be gauges. Not sure if they will be damaged.

Will the resistor setup for a generator be the same as the resistor setup for an alternator?

Planet Express
Toyocedes

I think your only worry would be a voltage spike from the generator. I tried searching too, https://www.google.com/search?q=racing+ … p;start=10 and didnt see much except people calling their alternator a generator.

The shorting resistor is to give the power a place to go when you turn off the kill switch.  It should help keep spikes from happening. Points wont get hurt but a condenser may cook from a spike.

I dont know, I'm guessing they didnt have 6 pole kill switches when people were racing cars with generators.  You may be able to throw vintage in your search term and find some useful info.

FPRbuzz wrote:
kakarot1232001 wrote:

The only thing other than the points/coil will be gauges. Not sure if they will be damaged.

Will the resistor setup for a generator be the same as the resistor setup for an alternator?

OMG, are you saying you have an actual generator/dynamo not alternator in your hooptie?
On those the regulator is the issue. So need to cut between the generator and regulator.  You can clamp the generator output. Just dont go too crazy with the resistor.

This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu(C>B>C>B) , 1996 Nissan Maxima OnlyFans (B) , Sold 1996 Ford Probe GT(B),

13 (edited by Guildenstern 2016-03-17 07:51 PM)

I don't think there's any issue, You should be able to just run between battery and positive lead and be done. Should have no need to worry about dumping load like in an AC alternator.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

14 (edited by -SDR- 2016-03-18 05:13 AM)

kakarot1232001 wrote:

..........By rules its not kosher to keep alternator bypassed the kill switch. aka keeping post hot.......

jrbe wrote:

Rules say power needs to be cut. Not supposed to leave the alt connected to the battery with the switch off........

As I read it, everything running on electrical power must be interrupted by the switch, but nothing directly about the alt except a warning about the car being able to run off the alt after the battery is disconnected if the wiring is set up wrong.

3.G ELECTRICAL & MECHANICAL REGULATIONS 

3.G.1 Master Electrical Kill Switch. All cars must have a racing-type master electrical kill switch easily turned both off and on by the belted-in driver. The control for this switch should be red; the OFF position should be clearly indicated; the switch should be easily accessible from outside the car; and the switch should be clearly marked by a three-inch or larger lightning-bolt symbol. All electricity must be interrupted by the kill switch (if you don't do that, the engine may still run off the alternator even after the battery circuit is disconnected). Don't put the switch where it's likely to be hit by another car in traffic or crushed in an accident.

kakarot1232001 wrote:

.......if you can cut the field coil to the alternator, that will work nicely too. that be better solution. Just run field coil through the switch.

This is how I wired our car based on how I read the rules. The battery is connected to the alt, but the alt 'shuts off' with the master switch and the engine dies when the master is switched off.

Bill

2020 I.O.E. CT #36 The Rootes Of All Evil,1958 Sunbeam Rapier Convertible (YES 1958!!) & 2019 Judges Choice NJMP
2016 Thompson Speedway #36 Sabrina Duncan's Revenge, IOE Trophy, 5th Place 'C' Class 1977 Ford Pinto
2009 Stafford Motor Speedway #16 Team Teflon, 11th Place (overall) 1997 Saturn SL2

15 (edited by FPRbuzz 2016-03-18 07:28 AM)

kakarot1232001 wrote:

OMG, are you saying you have an actual generator/dynamo not alternator in your hooptie?
On those the regulator is the issue. So need to cut between the generator and regulator.  You can clamp the generator output. Just dont go too crazy with the resistor.

Original, early 60s Volvo generator. I could fab an alternator bracket or just use the gen that came with the engine. I'm picking the one where I don't have to show my terrible fab skills.

I'm not great at wrangling the electrical pixies so if there's any chance do you have/could crudely draw a diagram of this? I'm kinda seeing it, but it's fuzzy.

My plan was to follow this kill switch diagram, but if what your saying is different then I will alter my plans
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f127/bjhines/V8%20240Z%20project/rewire%20for%20V8/4430-inst.jpg

Planet Express
Toyocedes

16 (edited by Joe 2016-03-18 05:03 PM)

If you want to make sure the car will shut down interrupt the coil source. No spark no run!  Just interrupting the field wire won't necessary work.  I can unplug my alt and it will keep the car running once it gets the field signal it's on till you shut the car off.

Duck it racing #97

17 (edited by jrbe 2016-03-18 05:23 PM)

Rules say that "all electricity must be interrupted by the kill switch." I think that means battery and alternator but I may be wrong. It does go on to say if you don't, it may run off of the alternator.  Im not sure thats saying its ok to keep the alternator connected up or not.  I definitely get you can shut the car off with the kill switch while keeping the alternator hot.  Being able to cut "all" power is definitely a benefit in my eyes if things go sideways.

from http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewtopic.php?id=3334
(its old, from 2010...)

4.  Disconnect Switch.  The switch must cut off all power to the engine, that usually means that the alternator circuit has to be cut as well as battery power.  The switch also has to be reachable and marked.

AER definitely wants the alternator to battery connection cut by the kill switch, not sure on chump.

I have run our car with the kill switch just killing the engine (leaving the alternator hot) but I'm redoing our dash and installing a 6 pole switch to comply with AER rules (and maybe Lemons..)  I've been wanting to fix this in our car for a while, its definitely safer this way if you can shut it "all" off in a crash.

Kakarot, It may work on a generator but I wouldn't consider it a great way to cut power.  It may back feed power into the system.

Some alternators (definitely Bosch at least) are self exciting.   If you run the car with the excite wire off (bosch alt) it will start charging once you rev it up a bit.  I wouldn't consider it a good way to kill power on all cars.

If i was wiring a kill switch on a generator equipped car i'd use a 6 pole switch, interrupt the generator to the battery and use the shorting resistor when its off just in case.

The kill switch wiring diagram FPRbuzz  posted should work fine with a generator.

Unless the disconnect switch is actually IN the battery shutting down the positive post, then there will be power in a wire/cable routed somewhere in the car, and even if that were the case, one could still have the alt running everything with said post 'off'.

Again, the way we read it, as long as the engine and every electrical item will be 'shut off' with the master (pumps, fans, lights, alt, radio, GPS, doomsday device, Kerig,....) then all is well with the world. 

Yes, some way to buffer the load would work too, but just adds one more thing to fail.

We could be wrong on this.......

Bill

2020 I.O.E. CT #36 The Rootes Of All Evil,1958 Sunbeam Rapier Convertible (YES 1958!!) & 2019 Judges Choice NJMP
2016 Thompson Speedway #36 Sabrina Duncan's Revenge, IOE Trophy, 5th Place 'C' Class 1977 Ford Pinto
2009 Stafford Motor Speedway #16 Team Teflon, 11th Place (overall) 1997 Saturn SL2

Right, the alt could power everything and have the engine continue to run with the kill switch off if done wrong.  The coil(s) or coils and injectors get interrupted by the 6 pole (think of it as 3 switches in one, 1 normally open battery to alt, 1 normally open to shut off coils & injectors and maybe more if done right, and 1 normally closed alt through power dissipation resistor to ground) kill switch to shut the engine down.  The alt can keep power to things as the engine slows to off, its not going to run with injectors and coils cut. (You could have glowing plugs "diesel" the engine and keep running if its just the coil(s) you cut.)  With power consumers helping drain the alt load it should help keep spikes down and the alt happy.

Maybe its kind of a grey area if you keep the alt connected in Lemons.  Im not sure why else they would be vague about the alternator being cut.

I run the battery cable inside the cage to hopefully keep it safe in a crash too. At some point you have power somewhere.  The alternator is typically up front and can end up balled up in a crash, thats why i see being able to cut it with the kill switch as a benefit.

I was considering using a 200 amp breaker as a dead short safety at the battery but this could leave the car dead on track if it popped and something happened to the alt..maybe at that point thats what you want to happen though...  If it pops, it doesnt mean the car necessarily shuts down.  It can also kill the alt if the breaker pops.  I've been thinking of using a 15v power transorb (tvs diode) feeding a power dissipation resistor to keep the alt safe and take that out of the equation to more think safety.  I need to think the battery breaker thing through more.

jrbe wrote:

.......Maybe its kind of a grey area if you keep the alt connected in Lemons.  Im not sure why else they would be vague about the alternator being cut.

I run the battery cable inside the cage to hopefully keep it safe in a crash too. At some point you have power somewhere.  The alternator is typically up front and can end up balled up in a crash, thats why i see being able to cut it with the kill switch as a benefit.........

We don't see the grey, maybe others do.

There is no requirement for the battery to be inside the main cage area, so it could be balled up in the front or rear crumple zone, so a cut off switch will be of no use to stop a short.

In our opinions, with proper cable and terminal protection, the risk is minimized and with less things on the car that could fail causing the car to stall on the track. 

The question is has anyone failed tech because the battery and alternator were directly connected but in a way that the car still shut off with the master disconnect?

Bill

21 (edited by jimbo_se-r 2016-03-22 11:14 AM)

jrbe wrote:

Rules say that "all electricity must be interrupted by the kill switch." I think that means battery and alternator but I may be wrong. It does go on to say if you don't, it may run off of the alternator.  Im not sure thats saying its ok to keep the alternator connected up or not.  I definitely get you can shut the car off with the kill switch while keeping the alternator hot.  Being able to cut "all" power is definitely a benefit in my eyes if things go sideways.

I've always had a problem with that wording.  All electricity, everywhere, can not be interrupted by the kill switch.  What about distant galaxies, will this switch cut off their power?  No.

Let's limit it to just what's IN the car, which is not as written in the rules, but probably more practical.  Will the kill switch stop your battery operated radio from working?  Kill your digital camera?  Stop your pacemaker?  Probably not.

Let's restrict the scenario further.  Will the kill switch interrupt power going between the battery and the kill switch?  Will it?  No.

There is always going to be a live wire in there, somewhere.  Minimize the risks as much as possible, do it safely, and move on.

Pucker Factor Racing - Gator-O-Rama, Feb '11, Yee-Haw It's Lemons Texas!, Oct '11
Scuderia Ignorante - Yee-Haw, It's Lemons Texas, Feb '12 (As seen in Car & Driver), Gator-O-Rama, Sept '13

22 (edited by jrbe 2016-03-22 04:17 PM)

Just to be clear, I understand you can't cut all power. I did write that in my second post in this thread.

As far as the Lemons rules go it isn't clear. If you race in some other series, they want the alt disconnected. If you're doing a new kill switch and considering other series seems it's a simple choice to me.

If you do the battery right, the battery, cable and kill switch are all inside the crash/safety cell and protected.

3? years ago at njmp I was told (by someone helping run the event)  the alternator power had to be cut by the kill switch. Our car was wired keeping the alt hot. They were rushing and we flew through safety inspection. I don't know who it was. I'm not sure they'd go around checking if your alt has power with the switch off or even if he was right.

Rule clarification would be nice, though I don't want rulebook page creep either.

My thoughts are usually what I can come up with as worst case scenario. I put the battery in as far as comfortable to keep it safe in a crash. I've been telling people not to switch on their fuel pump for safety reasons. There have been some fuel pump feeding the fire stories because they forgot to hit the kill switch or turn the fuel pump off. Maybe seems stupid or isn't given a second though at the time.

Another year we were racing we had a battery cable short out over bumps. It killed one of the diodes in the alt. It could have been much uglier. That's in big part why I'm considering the battery circuit breaker. If the car gets stuffed in a crash and the battery is shorting I'd want a way for it to trip. BMW has battery cables with charges in them that can be popped in a crash...I don't think I'm way out in left field here.

If doing small things can make the car safer I'm all for it.

Sorry for the sorta hijack fpr.

Please make sure your electric fuel pump can't run if the engine isn't running. All you need is a relay and a low oil pressure sender; you can even use a momentary on/off switch as a primer if you need to.

ross2004 wrote:

Please make sure your electric fuel pump can't run if the engine isn't running. All you need is a relay and a low oil pressure sender; you can even use a momentary on/off switch as a primer if you need to.

Dont forget to add start bypass, cause you will have a bad time if you dont.

Alternatively you can wire relay to the alternator sense. So if alternator not putting out energy, then relay is off.
Also need start bypass

kakarot1232001 wrote:

Dont forget to add start bypass, cause you will have a bad time if you dont.

Not with a carburetor!

Even with FI, a little cranking to build oil pressure would be all it would take. But a bypass is easy, so why not.