Re: Public apology

Disney wrote:

How can you get so worked up about Lemons RACING that you want to go fist fight? It's supposed to be fun!

x2

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

I get competitive. Its that same drive that helped me when racing motorcycles push past 10+ bikes after a bad start to go from 15 th to 4th position in 2 turns at WSIR.

Deathmobile

Competitive is fine, but if you're gonna be on the track with the rest of us, you've got to be able to keep your brain engaged at the same time. You're allowed maybe 5 seconds of fist pounding rage after getting t-boned, but by the time you start big, heavy deathwagen around the track again, you need to be in control.

If it was that same kind of rage that got you past all those bikes at WSIR, I'm surprised you didn't kill yourself.

That apology better come with some kind of understanding of just how unimportant this stupid shit is, or I don't want you on the track (or especially in the pits) with us.

One of out team mates got a bit overly worked up at our first race, Oct 08, at me because I got a black flag for 4 off.

It was my first race as well as most of our teams.  I really did feel like I was avoiding an accident.  Getting yelled at while feeling physically threatened by a team member about how I was driving my own freakin' car was a huge buzz kill.

This happened during the Curse so the officials and spectators were watching the curse.  Otherwise, I think they may have asked him to leave.

Later in the race, the same guy literally flew off track because he was "forced" off track.  The car had some damage underneath from it's flight. 

The guy was a hot head.  That was his first and last race with us.  We have added a second car with many mutual friends and no one has invited him back.

In racing many incidents happen.  If we were running well and in contention for a win I would be upset if we got knocked out by someone else.

Here's the kicker NYPD:

I get competitive. Its that same drive that helped me when racing motorcycles push past 10+ bikes after a bad start to go from 15 th to 4th position in 2 turns at WSIR.

I have had good drivers, you know like SCCA podium finishers, run my car.  They can get in the car, run very fast lap times for a whole tank of gas and not even scratch the car. 

One of my driver's will be doing his 5th Lemons with us next month with no penalties, contact or anything. 

We have raced every MSRH race which is one of LeMon's largest events.  You know 140 cars compared to the 20ish at Pheonix.  Somehow these guys can run fast penalty free and contact free races.

That doesn't just mean they don't hit anyone, it also means they manage to stay out of other guys way enough to not get hit themselves.

I had one incident of contact in my first race.  I was passing a guy when he pretty much pit maneuvered himself off my car.  I didn't get flagged for it but with the current "all fault" contact enforcement I would.

Most incidents of contact are avoidable.  I've had plenty of drivers pull it off while setting record fast laps.  If you race again and have a similar incident maybe you should consider what you could have done to avoid the situation.

It is good of you to Man up and take responsibility for your actions.  Hopefully you will get a pardon.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Eyesoreracing wrote:

Competitive is fine, but if you're gonna be on the track with the rest of us, you've got to be able to keep your brain engaged at the same time. You're allowed maybe 5 seconds of fist pounding rage after getting t-boned, but by the time you start big, heavy deathwagen around the track again, you need to be in control.

If it was that same kind of rage that got you past all those bikes at WSIR, I'm surprised you didn't kill yourself.

That apology better come with some kind of understanding of just how unimportant this stupid shit is, or I don't want you on the track (or especially in the pits) with us.

You should never have any fist pounding rage.  This is freaking Lemons.  $500 cars.  People dressed up like pimps, hoes, and pedobears.  Cars that sometimes more closely resemble parade floats than racecars.  If you get yourself all worked up over _that_...  Over having to beat _that_...  Over having to win _that_...   If you get worked up for even an instant, *I* don't want you around me either.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

well,  there's just something about men and their cars

I'll third or fourth that one. I've gotten a total of ONE black flag (for short cutting the pit exit at Buttonwillow, not anything on track) in nine or ten races.

I've had my car taken out by chuckleheads back in the Altamont days.

If you can't keep it together in Lemons racing, I'm not sure you should be allowed out of the house unsupervised- it's crapcan racing for F*** sake.
That said, I've seen plenty of road rage style behavior at Lemons, it's just not usually so public...

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 144 races and counting.
2/25/24

fabtoys wrote:

so I preceded to drive to there pit and collapsed his trunk in a flick of a switch and the press of a button on the controls .Then they were yelling at me that there is a driver in the car ,so I reminded them that there was a driver in my car when he hit me me 4 times .

Let me know when/where you guys are racing so I can pick a different race.  It disgusts me that you are bragging about this.  At least the OP is apologizing for his behavior.

It's Lemons.  There's plenty of incompetent drivers out there that are going to hit you because of some stupid mistake they made.  I'm one of them.  My 5'0" wife is one of them.  I'm worried enough about getting hurt on the track.  I don't need to be worried about my safety in the pits.  Stay home if your brain is smaller than your testicles.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

X-args wrote:

I'll third or fourth that one. I've gotten a total of ONE black flag (for short cutting the pit exit at Buttonwillow, not anything on track) in nine or ten races.

I've had my car taken out by chuckleheads back in the Altamont days.

If you can't keep it together in Lemons racing, I'm not sure you should be allowed out of the house unsupervised- it's crapcan racing for F*** sake.
That said, I've seen plenty of road rage style behavior at Lemons, it's just not usually so public...

Didn't you walk over with a wrench in your hand to yell at one of our drivers for ramming your car into the wall at Altamont, Mr. Pot Kettle black?

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

What I like is that NYPD 323 is getting held back and pinned against his car and it's JETTA!!  A freakin' JETTA?!  Now there are tough guy cars, but that's not one of them...

Cars, cameras, and easy living...

36 (edited by MurileeMartin 2010-01-26 11:29 AM)

Since the whole team pays for the sins of each team member (and Jay has a very long memory), it's the team's job to ensure that rage-prone members never even get close to throwing punches and/or running people over in the pits. If that means rationing the sugar/caffeine and doing a lengthy meditation session in your mobile zen garden before going on to the track, so be it.

You guys are free to pound each other into heaps of bleeding hamburger with lengths of ball-bearing-filled heater hose when someone cuts in front of you in the supermarket checkout line, but not when your hoopty-ass cars trade Bondo at our race.

Judge Jonny wrote:
X-args wrote:

(X-args claiming he's, like, the Gandhi of Altamont)

Didn't you walk over with a wrench in your hand to yell at one of our drivers for ramming your car into the wall at Altamont, Mr. Pot Kettle black?

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2010/01/87_4079.jpg

Actually, X-args was quite gracious about the whole thing a bit later, when the V8olvo driver in question came over and apologized to him.

38 (edited by Jer 2010-01-26 12:06 PM)

Disney wrote:

How can you get so worked up about Lemons RACING that you want to go fist fight? It's supposed to be fun!

You apparently have never been done wrong on track.  I never understood the "red mist" until I was blocked for ten consecutive laps, at which point I took my fate into my own hands and solved the problem fairly.  So I understand the red mist.  However, I think you should be able to control yourself a little more than you did, but the fact that this is 500$ crapcan racing does not remove all the competitiveness out of it.

Oh, and I do not have a black flag in five races. 

This reminds me of the Chris Rock bit about OJ: "I'm not saying I approve of what he did, but...I understand."

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Hope this isn't a trend...this is the only series in which I've ever laughed out loud while driving as well as in the pits...at Reno I saw several instances of guys getting into people lightly, then backing off to let them gather it up....not taking advantage of  the accidental "chrome horn"  is the best way to say "I'm sorry" while on-track. Also leads to stories/beer later in the pits. If I see Junior Johnson in my mirrors I'll point him by with pleasure...I'd rather race hammer and tongs at the back of the pack than win that way...not that I have much experience with the winning thing...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Never got a black flag but may have had a hearty hello to one of the cars at gator-o-rama last year after being actively blocked for a few laps and still to this day wondering how a car managed to come from 8 cars back under caution to t-bone me in the hairpin...but it was fine when driving a barge first gen mr-2 just didnt really have the ability to hurt us.

will definitely feel like the chihuahua instead of the mastiff this season

Disney, why is it always sunshine and happy mice with you.

Formerly an asshole driving an Infinity
Now just another cock with a Porsche
Chief bad decision maker of Team Lowbrau

st_rage wrote:
fabtoys wrote:

so I preceded to drive to there pit and collapsed his trunk in a flick of a switch and the press of a button on the controls .Then they were yelling at me that there is a driver in the car ,so I reminded them that there was a driver in my car when he hit me me 4 times .

Let me know when/where you guys are racing so I can pick a different race.  It disgusts me that you are bragging about this.  At least the OP is apologizing for his behavior.

It's Lemons.  There's plenty of incompetent drivers out there that are going to hit you because of some stupid mistake they made.  I'm one of them.  My 5'0" wife is one of them.  I'm worried enough about getting hurt on the track.  I don't need to be worried about my safety in the pits.  Stay home if your brain is smaller than your testicles.

I laughed. I'm sorry... it was primal.

My wife is 4'10". I'm thinking about getting her one of those orange flag hats.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

"Sparky" Pete wrote:

My wife loves meeting people shorter than her.  It doesn't happen often.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

"Sparky" Pete wrote:

I have serious doubts that she's shorter than I am....

Team photographer and "sure I'll drive" hanger-on: more races than I ever imagined... MRolla/FX32/Mormon Meteor IV
http://www.facebook.com/StickFigureRacing
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jkiel/coll … 604631509/
http://www.jkiel.com/

Anyhow, I hope this sheds a little light on our "All Fault" contact policy.

We don't give a fuck (unless the contact was on purpose) why you hit each other.

The two drivers get taped together at the knee and sent off to discuss it amongst themselves.

Cuts down on vigilantism

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Way to stand up and be responsible for you actions!!!.......it is quite rare in todays world that people do that....since they typically make excuses and blame everyone else for their own poor decisions-actions

Red mist gets to everyone.....but the 5 minute rule is always a good idea!!!

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Jer wrote:
Disney wrote:

You apparently have never been done wrong on track.  I never understood the "red mist" until I was blocked for ten consecutive laps, at which point I took my fate into my own hands and solved the problem fairly.  So I understand the red mist.  However, I think you should be able to control yourself a little more than you did, but the fact that this is 500$ crapcan racing does not remove all the competitiveness out of it.

Oh, and I do not have a black flag in five races. 

This reminds me of the Chris Rock bit about OJ: "I'm not saying I approve of what he did, but...I understand."

I've never had a black flag either, and no, I've not been "done wrong" on the track. smile

At the last CMP race I kept getting blocked by a Neon out there and I never got raged up over it. I waited until I could pass easily. Didn't take long with all the traffic out there and having one of the fastest cars (SVX). Patience and a sense of humor goes a long ways.

So no, I do not get your "red mist" analogy. It's crap can racing. I don't care all that much if you hit our car, just means we fire up the smoker and brews that much sooner!

I think the problem comes form people that show up at these races with the intention of winning (ifb_mole). If you show up with HOPES of even FINISHING and expecting to have fun, then you will not be disappointed! If you show up expecting to win, you might end up in a red mist fist fight with raged up Red Bull Pirates.

Just my experience, YMMV.

Apology accepted, but I'd feel it was a bit more heartfelt if you hadn't used the words "T-boned".

From my point of view, after following you for 45 mins where you would actively block in the only point I could get by, I made a move at a half chance in turn 4, and you closed the door on me. The contact was mostly my fault, but not entirely.

I was pissed at myself for making a dumb move and I would have apologized to you then and there if I had a chance.

Chotus! Chotus! Chotus! Chotus!

48 (edited by GnomeFabTech 2010-01-26 09:46 PM)

Um, guys.  There is no such thing as "blocking" in a car race.  Really it's just defending your line.  You are not supposed to drift over on a straight with the intention of preventing the forward progress of a faster car but when you are setting up for a turn you can take the middle line to thwart a late braking rival.  Now, if that guy in front of you takes a defensive line entering a turn you can move to the outside on corner entry and gain the advantage on corner exit.  If you have to do some mad dive bomb to pass a car, the problem is not that he's blocking you, it's that you're are not really much faster and have to press the issue to get by.  Lemons is still an automobile race and thus you can't expect point by passing.  If you have to hit a car in front of you in order to pass it trust me you are not doing it right.

Cars, cameras, and easy living...

49 (edited by jw33 2010-01-26 09:53 PM)

http://www.theboxset.com/images/reviewcaptures/421capture_thunder04.jpg

No, no, he didn't slam you, he didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you... he rubbed you. And rubbin, son, is racin'

Shake and Bake
America, birthplace of the missionary position. You're welcome...

GnomeFabTech wrote:

Um, guys.  There is no such thing as "blocking" in a car race.  Really it's just defending your line.  You are not supposed to drift over on a straight with the intention of preventing the forward progress of a faster car but when you are setting up for a turn you can take the middle line to thwart a late braking rival.  Now, if that guy in front of you takes a defensive line entering a turn you can move to the outside on corner entry and gain the advantage on corner exit.  If you have to do some mad dive bomb to pass a car, the problem is not that he's blocking you, it's that you're are not really much faster and have to press the issue to get by.  Lemons is still an automobile race and thus you can't expect point by passing.  If you have to hit a car in front of you in order to pass it trust me you are not doing it right.

Please disregard the word blocking, it's too loaded in this context.  Change it to following a competitive line.

I'm sorry if I gave the impression that I hit him to get past, that was certainly not the situation. I mean he went wide in a corner and slow out, I got part way up the inside on the way to the next corner, not level, but not in the blind spot, and we hit at the apex.

Normally I'd have backed out before the next corner, but after 45 mins I felt it was the only chance I had. No doubt it was a dumb move on my part and I wish I hadn't done it.

Chotus! Chotus! Chotus! Chotus!