Topic: Are you a Lemons hero? Ticker-tape parade for you!

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2010/01/tickertape1-800px.jpg
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2010/01/tickertape2-800px.jpg

If you avert tragedy and save the lives of your fellow racers by (spinning out / going four wheels off / hitting some cones / bashing the tire wall), we'll put Hero Medals on your team and give you a ticker-tape parade!

Re: Are you a Lemons hero? Ticker-tape parade for you!

Hurray! Finally a just reward for all those heros.

Pendejo Engineering "Captain" - 1991 Alfa 164
1983 Shaguar XJ-S V-12 "The Two Ton Miata"
1995 Mercedes S600 V-12  - First car ever CLAIMED by JAY!
1980 Maserati Quattroporte - Judge's Choice

All hail the heros, like Justice Phil, who is driving, AND taking artsy rear view mirror photos. Well done sir.

Some crappy video of the parade:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxK-4OkOetE

I'm pretty sure I still have some remants of this in my street car.... Shouldn't have left my windows cracked!

freakshow999 wrote:

I'm pretty sure I still have some remants of this in my street car.... Shouldn't have left my windows cracked!

You should have seen our rental car

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

6 (edited by MurileeMartin 2010-01-26 02:09 AM)

We prefer the F-550 brake-rotor Hero Medals to the Chrysler Fake Wire Wheel Hubcaps, but Jay thinks Lemons racers will be dumb enough to drop them on their toes.

MurileeMartin wrote:

We prefer the F-550 brake-rotor Hero Medals to the Chrysler Fake Wire Wheel Hubcaps, but Jay thinks Lemons racers will be dumb enough to drop them on their toes.

I think a few loaner pairs of ANSI 75 safety shoes would be appropriate.  Make them all size 14s to ensure the feet of the hero in question will fit.

http://www.ducttapemotorsports.com/
http://www.teamdfl.com
"I can see it now, a pile of nickels and all the glory of being a real race car driver."
Prepping the Red wReck for the 24 Hours of Lemons

MurileeMartin wrote:

now where would he get that idea?

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

NICE......me likey..... 

Just so my limited mental ability self understands....if you are a bad driver...you get punished...if you are a hero, you get punished.....so the type of driver Lemons wants to promote....DRIVE LIKE A COWARD!!!!  :>)

I tell all my drivers...."when in doubt DON'T DO IT"....

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Judge Jonny wrote:
freakshow999 wrote:

You should have seen our rental car

I did right when you guys went by our pit area the stuff basicly got thrown right into your rental. Which made me feel much better about the little bit that got in mine. big_smile

I wear a size 15 shoe thank you very much.

Team Oly Express
Current car - 1964.5 Plymouth Barracuda, Former car - Size Does Matter 1967 Plymouth Fury
07 IOE Winner Thunderhill, 12 IOE Winner Sears Pointless
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Team- … 4609354407

Brake rotor Medals > hubcaps. Seriously I would have a disc off a peterbuilt done up if we still rolled that way. the ticker tape's a definite bonus!

Most OTR trucks use drum brakes.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

phil, jonny, you guys are great at the penalizing but seriously why is there a punishment for avoiding killing someone on track instead of giving the off track surface some minor grooming? seriously

you want us to all just go 10 mph and signal everytime we turn? how lame is that?

15 (edited by MurileeMartin 2010-02-02 03:48 AM)

vwdmc16 wrote:

phil, jonny, you guys are great at the penalizing but seriously why is there a punishment for avoiding killing someone on track instead of giving the off track surface some minor grooming? seriously

you want us to all just go 10 mph and signal everytime we turn? how lame is that?

You don't get the Ticker-Tape Parade just because you had a little off-road adventure after finding yourself five abreast in a turn. The paddock would be a foot deep in confetti after a few hours if we did that. You earn the parade by insisting that you averted certain disaster when you ran out of asphalt. We made this penalty up after many drivers uttered the words "I deserve a medal!" when explaining why they were unjustly accused.

If you leave the pavement because some dingbat spins out right in front of you, you shouldn't get black-flagged. If you do, someone who saw it happen will tell us you're one of the (very rare) innocent men in the race and we'll wave you through the Penalty Box. It doesn't happen all that often, but it does happen.

16 (edited by icemang17 2010-02-02 02:16 PM)

MurileeMartin wrote:
vwdmc16 wrote:

You don't get the Ticker-Tape Parade just because you had a little off-road adventure after finding yourself five abreast in a turn. The paddock would be a foot deep in confetti after a few hours if we did that. You earn the parade by insisting that you averted certain disaster when you ran out of asphalt. We made this penalty up after many drivers uttered the words "I deserve a medal!" when explaining why they were unjustly accused.

If you leave the pavement because some dingbat spins out right in front of you, you shouldn't get black-flagged. If you do, someone who saw it happen will tell us you're one of the (very rare) innocent men in the race and we'll wave you through the Penalty Box. It doesn't happen all that often, but it does happen.

Judges
I understand that you hear all kinds of BS excuses for poor driving all day...

but I might have seen video of a certain unnamed driver going 4 off to avoid a spinning Pinto wagon and ended up getting penalized for it.....  the only other option was to hit the pinto + RX7    maybe it was this video at about 10:30 
http://www.vimeo.com/7810326

followed by nice dialogue at about 20:00.....

Of course you only get info that the flag stations tell you (car # went off...car # hit car # etc)....  now you can see exactly what the driver saw.....and hear exactly what the driver said.... 

along the same lines a certain large 64 Plymouth might have taken out a certain V8olvo with contact and just got a stop-go penalty??  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PviZvh-xZMY

all I'm saying is it could possibly be a good idea to have a somewhat "standardized" system for penalties....  1st black for passing under yellow...warning or something...2nd...progressively hard slap-O-rama...

Of course the penalty for consistently avoiding a black flag because its close to the end of the race should be VERY harsh too....especially for higher ranked cars

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

17 (edited by prime suspect 2010-02-02 03:24 PM)

icemang17 wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:
vwdmc16 wrote:

Judges
I understand that you hear all kinds of BS excuses for poor driving all day...

but I might have seen video of a certain unnamed driver going 4 off to avoid a spinning Pinto wagon and ended up getting penalized for it.....  the only other option was to hit the pinto + RX7    maybe it was this video at about 10:30 
http://www.vimeo.com/7810326

followed by nice dialogue at about 20:00.....

Of course you only get info that the flag stations tell you (car # went off...car # hit car # etc)....  now you can see exactly what the driver saw.....and hear exactly what the driver said.... 

along the same lines a certain large 64 Plymouth might have taken out a certain V8olvo with contact and just got a stop-go penalty??  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PviZvh-xZMY

all I'm saying is it could possibly be a good idea to have a somewhat "standardized" system for penalties....  1st black for passing under yellow...warning or something...2nd...progressively hard slap-O-rama...

Of course the penalty for consistently avoiding a black flag because its close to the end of the race should be VERY harsh too....especially for higher ranked cars

this whole spiel assumes the judges actually give a rats ass WHY you went off or spun out or hit the other car    ...............   i thought i just heard the whambulance start up

spectator "Lamest Day 09",DNF "American Irony" 2010,DNS "Capitol Offense"2010,DNF "Gingervitis"2011,DNF"ShowroomShlock"2011 maybe someday....                                                                                     
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"luckily I didnt go into the mountain,.......I went over the cliff. I was doin 300 MPH sideways and 100 ft. down at the same time............"

We go by what we hear from the corner workers over the radio (shockingly, we can't always trust what the drivers involved have to say), so if they don't back up your story... well, it's best to keep your sense of humor and take your medicine.

I keep telling you schmucks: bribe the corner workers!

icemang17 wrote:

No matter how thick the rule book, everything in racing is subjective. There will be no standardization in the Penalty Box.

20 (edited by Judge Jonny 2010-02-02 05:01 PM)

icemang17 wrote:

Our penalties are the most standardized in the industry

1) No matter what, we won't listen to a thing you say

2) See #1

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Judge Jonny wrote:
icemang17 wrote:

Our penalties are the most standardized in the industry

1) No matter what, we won't listen to a thing you say

2) See #1

and there is the ultimate "rule"

1.1: Organizer Decisions: Organizer's decisions are final. If you don't like it, tough. Get your own race.

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

From what I saw in Phoenix, Phil and Jonny were pretty lenient for first time offenders (for the most part).  Things kept getting more and more interesting, obscure and embarassing as repeat offenders kept stepping up to the plate.  I mean seriously...how the hell can 1 team get 6 black flags at a race with only 20 some odd cars?

All in all it seemed more standardized than F1 in many respects tongue.

secretagent wrote:

how the hell can 1 team get 6 black flags at a race with only 20 some odd cars?

Tires! Blame the tires!

Seems simple enough....everyone in front of me is a dangerous maniac who should be black flagged immediately and put on the trailer....every other car out there is racing for the sole purpose of dive bombing/line cheating/bump-and-running/apex clipping/rear ending/brake checking/mirror driving me in a brazen attempt to keep me from my rightful place on top of the leader board. The Men in Black, because they lack the omniscient perspective of me behind the wheel, allow this immorality, even though my spin saved the entire field from a Talladega-like Big One and possibly the end of life as we know it. My thankless efforts are rewarded with what? The Black Flag. Kafka is smiling somewhere...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

25 (edited by Spinnetti 2010-02-03 10:07 AM)

You can tell the difference between Lemons people and Racers. Lemons people roll with the punches and have a good time, and the racers are A$$h0les. To a racer, they are always cheated, not a fault, somebody else did it etc.....  In 5 races, I've only seen the penalty box a couple times, but Phil et. al were cool about it. Everybody responds different, and the "wrongly accused" racers usual make it worse by aggressive behavior with the judges.

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.