26 (edited by MurileeMartin 2010-01-26 09:49 PM)

Re: Phoenix proves Lemons drivers are BAD DRIVERS

Serj wrote:

so, how many teams turned the green flag at lamest day? 122? that would be about 2.63Penalties/Team, which implies that midwest Lemons are better tongue

The drivers at the Lamest Day shouldn't feel too proud, because they had the hardest wrecks we've ever seen at Lemons. Lots of cars knocked out of the race due to crashes.

MurileeMartin wrote:
Serj wrote:

so, how many teams turned the green flag at lamest day? 122? that would be about 2.63Penalties/Team, which implies that midwest Lemons are better tongue

The drivers at the Lamest Day shouldn't feel too proud, because they had the hardest wrecks we've ever seen at Lemons. Lots of cars knocked out of the race due to crashes.

Three more things:

1) There were what, TWO braking zones on that entire track? It was just like being on a curvy freeway. Don't go breaking your wrist patting yourself on the back for that.

2) The flaggers were... less than diligent.

3) From 2:00 am to about 7:00 am there were about 45 cars on the track.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Serj wrote:

I believe Yee-Haw '09 had approx. 135 cars and <200 Black Flags ... that's less than 1.5/ team.

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

i would love to see the "black flag standings" over the course of a season.  these "average" numbers are interesting, but it's not exactly an even distribution.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

MurileeMartin wrote:
Serj wrote:

Oh, cmmon, REALLY? what about "MadMax" weekend back in the AMP days? maybe those cars wern't 'crashed" out but most of those were built to take some sizably more abuse. Lamest day also didn't have at least one full rollover (i know the dynasty was on it's side but not on it's roof) Given the speeds, T-Hill had some INSANE rolls in comparison...then again, they have the record so i probably shouldn't argue that one. Maybe the bridge was giving people tunnel vision? smile

Judge Jonny wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:
Serj wrote:

Three more things:

1) There were what, TWO braking zones on that entire track? It was just like being on a curvy freeway. Don't go breaking your wrist patting yourself on the back for that.

2) The flaggers were... less than diligent.

3) From 2:00 am to about 7:00 am there were about 45 cars on the track.

well, for 1) none of my team's members got a penalty. 1 no-showed, 2 went awol after their ONE stint on saturday, and I wound up spending almost 1/3rd of the race actually doing it between stints. after about 6am though all bets were off because my other guy was passed out, i was on my way there, so i handed the car off to some guys from my dad's team...then all their lovely SCCA experience kicked in and killed the car's record for sure.

2) I thought they were fairly aggressive. Vantage points especially back in oaktree would be a likely issue on that one.

3) That certainly explains why it got REAL spooky some laps through the carousel.

All this was in jest anyway, I'm waiting for the day NL gets back on the schedule, maybe during a more temperate time of year smile

It's on the schedule for April.  But the timing is not good for me, so i gotta pass.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Buzz Killington wrote:

i would love to see the "black flag standings" over the course of a season.  these "average" numbers are interesting, but it's not exactly an even distribution.

+1 on that. something like the breakdown of the most and least reliable cars would be interesting to see.

oh, and Jer; What's on the schedule for April? I see Gingerman, not Nelson Ledges.

Serj wrote:

...something like the breakdown of the most and least reliable cars would be interesting to see.

oh, and Jer; What's on the schedule for April? I see Gingerman, not Nelson Ledges.

They already did a best and worst car report.  It's not completely reliability based, but you can certainly get a feel for how good or bad a car is by looking at the stats.

Jer is probably refering to the UsedcarRacing races at NL.  One is scheduled for April and the other in early September.  Unfortunately, no info has been posted yet, so I can't see the April race being a success if it even happens at all.  FWIW, NL doesn't show it on their calendar.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Jeff G 78 wrote:
Serj wrote:

...something like the breakdown of the most and least reliable cars would be interesting to see.

They already did a best and worst car report.  It's not completely reliability based, but you can certainly get a feel for how good or bad a car is by looking at the stats.

Jer is probably refering to the UsedcarRacing races at NL.  One is scheduled for April and the other in early September.  Unfortunately, no info has been posted yet, so I can't see the April race being a success if it even happens at all.  FWIW, NL doesn't show it on their calendar.

I meant lets take the familiar format of the best/worst cars, and replace cars with events and the statistic we're looking for is penalties per event. we could have breakdowns such that we've already been doing here, like average penalty per team, penalties per hour, and some cheesy graph magic to make it look cool.

The Altamont races had the most bad-driving incidents per car, by far, but the track's "bent metal IS racin" policy meant that the actual black flag count was pretty low. For those of you who got into Lemons racing in the post-Altamont world, just picture a race in which every square foot of your car- perhaps including the roof- would be completely covered with dents and paint scrapes within an hour of hitting the track. Lots of broken control arms, bent wheels, etc.

In terms of black-flag-to-car ratio, Buttonwillow would rank pretty high. The first Texas race would be up there, too. CMP generally provides a brisk Penalty Box business, but the relative lack of whining/screaming on the part of the Southern racers makes judging less exhausting there- without the numbers, it's hard to say.

37 (edited by Speedycop 2010-01-28 05:34 AM)

Nelson Ledges flag count should be reduced by one. My driver got a black flag for HAVING HIS ARM ON THE WINDOW SILL WHILE RACING A PINK 1961 CADILLAC!!! When he pulled into the pits, Jay laughed and said he didn't see a problem with it, and sent him back out.

Of course, my other driver managed to forget to watch the track in said 5,000 pound drum-brake-equipped Caddy, and nearly took out the historic bridge, so I can't say we were blameless.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

we got our first black flag in a couple of races for someone else's debris scooped up by our splitter.  the flaggers thought our car was dropping parts (can't really blame 'em).  that was a very short penalty box stay.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

This is what most of the cars looked like after Altamont:

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/12/2010/01/500x_wob-sizematters-500px.jpg

90% of the damage on this car some in the two Altamont races it ran.

Team Oly Express
Current car - 1964.5 Plymouth Barracuda, Former car - Size Does Matter 1967 Plymouth Fury
07 IOE Winner Thunderhill, 12 IOE Winner Sears Pointless
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Team- … 4609354407

I'm still trying to talk Lemons HQ into making Altamont Veteran patches.

I'll buy one!  Any HOB patches?

Team Oly Express
Current car - 1964.5 Plymouth Barracuda, Former car - Size Does Matter 1967 Plymouth Fury
07 IOE Winner Thunderhill, 12 IOE Winner Sears Pointless
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Team- … 4609354407

MurileeMartin wrote:

I'm still trying to talk Lemons HQ into making Altamont Veteran patches.

How about making patches from all past events available, and making Nomex versions available (even if at much higher cost) for those that want them?

+ Lots on the Altamont Vet patches!

Should we expect those around the same time that the swag site goes live?

-Kyle
Eyesore Racing
"That's probably wrong, but it's worth a shot."

wrappedinbacon wrote:

+ Lots on the Altamont Vet patches!

Should we expect those around the same time that the swag site goes live?

Yes, and peace in the Middle East will follow the next day!

45 (edited by Spinnetti 2010-01-28 05:09 PM)

Alright, now lets go to the personal account... I've got 5 events, 1 black flag (contact at the lamest day - I deserved it) and one "catch and release" at CMP. Not perfect, but not too bad considering the company wink

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.