Topic: Running first overall and punted out of the race by a fake point-by

Just over 3 hours into Saturday, we worked our way into P1 when I made contact with another car for the first time...ever. 
The driver of the #75 Smokey Saturn and the Bandits car gave me a hand signal that looks an awful lot like a point-by, and then I got punted in the left rear when passing on the outside. 
Two hours later, the axle on that side snapped and cost us an hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r0RVh_8CRQ

I sent a neutral party over to their pits later that day to find out what the hell happened.  The driver claimed he was trying to signal me to slow down for a yellow at the next corner, and that I hit him.  Not only is there no yellow flag at the next corner, but I don't think he could even see the corner worker at the time of the hand signal. 
Also, last I checked, the signal to alert cars behind you to a yellow flag was an arm out the window.

Racing incidents happen, but this one certainly could have been avoided.

-Nathan - Team Captain, Priority Fail Racing
1997 Golf GTI VR6 Mid Engine

Re: Running first overall and punted out of the race by a fake point-by

You were far enough past regardless of the "pointby" for him not to drive into your door.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Odd..

I would have been quite confused if someone who had just passed me (three wide into T3 nonetheless) was suddenly pointing me by.

Mike @ Charnal House Inc.
Like us on Facebook!
Or send us a message at CharnalHouse@gmail.com

shamwow wrote:

Odd..

I would have been quite confused if someone who had just passed me (three wide into T3 nonetheless) was suddenly pointing me by.

And building on this (playing devils advocate because no matter what, the majority of the driver's story does not hold up) he visibly slows to avoid passing another car.  This part supports his claim that he was trying to signal about a yellow flag.  The signal in no way looks like anything but a point by and there is no yellow visible at your flag station in the video but what if...it was a spotter for their team calling out a yellow elsewhere?  Another thing supporting this theory is I am not sure they can ever be accused of having given a point by (Our team is too slow to know for sure).

Knowing this team and that driver in particular, I seriously doubt it was malicious but I can completely believe it being a poor reaction to no immediate threat.  That team can easily be accused of being focused on the "wrong things" on a lot of occasions and one of their drivers (not this one) got their band cut last time for arguing with Judge Steve about EXCESSIVE speeding in the pits but I have a hard time (still) believing it was an intentional act.  Boneheaded in the extreme...yes.

I always see a right  hand raised inside the car waving to indicate a yellow, and that's exactly what that hand movement looks like to me. Point bys i'm always careful to not wave, just raise a hand and point. The fact he slows up and doesn't pass backs up the thought that he believed there was a yellow.

He should have been able to see you, but if he was focusing his attention around the left hand corner and assumed you understood his wave as "yellow", he'd assume you wouldn't want to pass.

Just trying to show how maybe his story checks out.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Knowing the Smokey and Bandits Saturn team pretty well, I'd say that nobody on that team is sufficiently calculating and/or crazed by race fever to mess someone up on purpose. Throwing a totally confusing hand signal at an inappropriate time, sure, that's more their style.

Further questions are where is your fire proof balaclava and why brake with your right foot when you aren't shifting gears.

The hit does suck, without a doubt.

Lemons, being a series open to all comers, regardless of skill level or experience, is prone to be rife with this type of stuff.

I like to think I am always giving myself an out for bizarre, sudden, unexpected, uncalled for and inexplicable moves.

I'm sure I slip into race mode sometimes when I shouldn't but I try to be pretty cautious working traffic. It's also easier once you've kind of clocked all the teams' capacity for pace and can sort of read their car's "body language" if you know what I mean. Game recognize game, and otherwise.

TheEngineer wrote:

I always see a right  hand raised inside the car waving to indicate a yellow, and that's exactly what that hand movement looks like to me..

I've been told to wave a right arm in the car and never stick an arm outside the car.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

IMHO waving an arm inside the car to get the guy's attention behind you is a waste of time for this reason.  We are all confused what he meant.  Waving the left arm up and down outside the car just signals to the guy behind you "hey! Something is going on and get your eyes up!"   

Point by's should be a clear left arm pointed left for a pass on left and up over roof for a pass on the right.  In 20 races those three arm signals haven't been confusing for anyone.

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

Not the right place for the debate, but arms out the window can be dangerous. I will not purposely put my arm outside of the car.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

cabinboy wrote:
TheEngineer wrote:

I always see a right  hand raised inside the car waving to indicate a yellow, and that's exactly what that hand movement looks like to me..

I've been told to wave a right arm in the car and never stick an arm outside the car.

It would be helpful for Lemons to adopt an "official" in-car hand signal guide or go over hand signalling at driver's meetings.

As a relative n00b, I've only given 2 hand signals - animatedly pointing with left arm out window at track or fully extending right arm and pointing to passenger window to give point-bys and direct traffic around the U-van. I've gotten a fair number of courtesy waives in response (where there was NO yellow flag).

If a waive also means "Yellow", we've got a Clearance, Clarence.. Roger, Roger situation.

I was taught point by's should be given outide drivers widow, either left or over the roof to the right.  "Pit in" is hand out the driver window, fist pointing up.

Caution is arm waving inside the car (I usually use a fist).  You can also give a wave inside the car to say, "I see you and will let you by after ive dealt with this shit in front of me"

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

And middle finger extended...

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

14 (edited by Spank 2016-04-28 09:18 AM)

I consider myself a pro pointer-byer, but arguably just at the West events.

I'd like to think my arm-extended finger-wags are pretty clear, but when I'm pointing out the driver's window it's just a finger wag with only the hand extended.
Not me, but this is the general idea:
https://media.giphy.com/media/i2hI0dVKctW12/giphy.gif

The prevailing Sonoma/Thunderhill/Butt signal for yellow flags seems to be (for everyone who cares to do it) a near-mechanical open-handed, spread fingered 90-degree upward bent arm slow parade wave from inside the car.
https://media4.giphy.com/media/y2qjgpjpkiMms/200.gif

Pit off is communicated with a stationary bent arm, closed fist either inside or outside the car. I prefer inside.

http://blogs.cfr.org/lindsay/files/2011/11/Perry-fist.gif

I totally see why you think that is a point-by, but the driver may have meant something else.  What I have no idea but a lot of the hand signals in the cars that make sense in the drivers mind is totally confusing to everyone else.

I had a driver that thought he was doing a clear point by message but when I saw it on the video I had to ask what he was doing cause to me it looks like he was ordering a round of orange whips.  I then suggested that instead of twirling his finger he actually uses his finger and points in a direction that he wished the driver to pass on.  very large motions to make it clear.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Understood.  Frankly, if we were running window nets we wouldn't be able to put our arms outside anyway.  So I can understand this mindset. 

TheEngineer wrote:

Not the right place for the debate, but arms out the window can be dangerous. I will not purposely put my arm outside of the car.

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

He was maybe distracted by giving the point-by and lost track of where he was on the track for just enough time to give you a bump. Looks more like a driving mistake than anything to me.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Also, second on the balaclava. If you're in a fire, your hair hanging out below the helmet becomes a torch.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

19 (edited by VKZ24 2016-04-28 10:50 AM)

the shaolin wrote:

The driver of the #75 Smokey Saturn and the Bandits car gave me a hand signal that looks an awful lot like a point-by, and then I got punted in the left rear when passing on the outside.

Regardless of the misinterpreted hand signal, what does that have to do with hitting you?  He dive-bombed you on the previous turn going 3-wide, does whatever with his hand, slows down because he just got boxed in by the car ahead, you pass him back on the outside, cleared him, then he hits you...WTF?

Whether there was a yellow or whatever excuse he used for slowing down, he still didn't need to make contact with you.  No excuse for that IMO.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

TheEngineer wrote:

Yeah, I'm in this camp.  In my other type of racing it's asking for a broken arm to get your arm outside the cage particularly if you are warning the guy behind to slow down.  From a Lemons perspective, just look at the video of the Camero trying to come in through the passenger window at Daytona a couple years ago.  If it was the driver side, your arm is gone.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

21 (edited by billybobster 2016-04-28 12:13 PM)

nickD wrote:

It would be helpful for Lemons to adopt an "official" in-car hand signal guide or go over hand signalling at driver's meetings

This!

The prevailing (but not universally adopted) signals I've seen across orgs on the West Coast are:

- Pass to left - point out the window to left
- Pass to right - point out window over roof to right
- Yellow/slow down/pitting - out the window, hand up in a fist
- I see you - tap on inside mirror
- MIddle finger extended - you're #1

The problem with inside the car hand signals is that they are hard to see, what with roll bars, cameras, drink bladders, etc.

Easy to see consistent communications are the most important - that's why I would really like to have whatever the "official" Lemons hand signals are covered in the driver's meeting. This will especially help the newbs. And mentally afflicted, like myself.

25X Loser - Delinquent Racing - '86 Rust-Tite Merkur - 9 years (when do I get to stop?).

22 (edited by the shaolin 2016-04-28 12:42 PM)

bendawson3 wrote:

Further questions are where is your fire proof balaclava and why brake with your right foot when you aren't shifting gears.

What does my driving technique have to do with anything?  Why switch between left and right foot braking if you're not in a car that allows left foot braking all the time?

I'm wearing a multi-layer suit plus the long underwear, but I've never worn a balaclava, I can't stand them.  Point taken though, I don't have a good reason not to.

therood wrote:

He was maybe distracted by giving the point-by and lost track of where he was on the track for just enough time to give you a bump. Looks more like a driving mistake than anything to me.

Maybe the driver did honestly think there was a yellow, but I still struggle with the logistics behind the contact...and moreso why I got blamed for this afterward.  Had the driver apologized when confronted I wouldn't have even posted the video.

It doesn't do any good to assign blame or play "what if", but I do think there are some lessons to be learned here.

nickD wrote:

It would be helpful for Lemons to adopt an "official" in-car hand signal guide or go over hand signalling at driver's meetings.

Agreed entirely.  I would love to see hand signals standardized and gone over in the driver's meeting.

-Nathan - Team Captain, Priority Fail Racing
1997 Golf GTI VR6 Mid Engine

Again, contact happened at a left hand corner with a flag station on the left. If the other driver was focusing his attention left he may never have seen you make the move and then drifted into you.

we all make mistakes now and then.

As for hand signals, you are not obliged to give any at all. You don't have to give point-bys, wave for yellows, or any of the rest. The only one I've ever heard talked about formally was the fist out the window at track out. The fact that us slow cars may occasionally feel nice and hug the side while pointing is just a kindness.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

24 (edited by gtopat 2016-04-28 02:01 PM)

I once came up on a yellow corner station, saw it, acknowledged and started waiving to let cars behind me I'm slowing. Between acknowledging the flagger,  waving to the cars behind me and preparing for the turn, I got all confuddled, completely missed the braking zone for the corner and went straight off. That was an embarrassing sin bin talk.

We're all human and make mistakes. That's what I see here.

Interceptor Motorsports
351w Foxy T-Bird - Class B Winner!, 440 Bluesmobile - Judges Choice, Org Choice & IOE!, Camero, Fuego Turbo - Heroic Fix & IOE!

2.4: Whiner Eligibility. Whiners are not eligible to compete. If you believe that you might be a whiner, please check with a domestic partner, guardian, or health-care professional before getting the rest of your team kicked the hell out of the race.

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook