Topic: Southern Discomfort Videos

I'll start. We got a bunch but this is the one of me slinging around in the dry at the end of Saturday until I knocked the exhaust loose coming out of 14 on that monster exit curb. Also, note that I am waving like an idiot at everybody because I love saying hey.

Not my video. I wouldn't say killing it, more like trying not to let it kill me. We had a couple brake issues that kept the pucker pretty tight.

The Flying Scotsmen East team really enjoyed all you guys and the competition on track. It's always a hoot. We fought various crap all day Saturday and weren't competitive but we are there for the good times, no matter what.

https://youtu.be/bzVbKsMcGw8

Here's my team mate Ian, aka DrKorf on here. He's a momentum master and it was a true joy to have him come drive it:

https://youtu.be/4ZBtXECjWBY

See y'all in the Fall!

Re: Southern Discomfort Videos

Either my car handles way better than yours, or one of us is doing it wrong.  I never have to work the wheel that hard mid corner.  I was tired just watching your video after 10 mins!

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

"Cornering is like bringing a woman to climax." -- Sir Jackie Stewart

"Cornering is like good, hard fucking". -- Ben Dawson

"Cornering has nothing to do with sex, it's applied math". -- Ian Korf

Race: 2012 Vodden; 2013 Pointless, EMP, Vodden, Freeze; 2014 Vodden, Freeze; 2015 Vodden, Loudon, Freeze; 2016 Pointless, Discomfort, Vodden, Sweat; 2017 Turrible
Staff: 2017 Pointless, Vodden, Freeze
http://yousuckatracing.wordpress.com

VKZ24 wrote:

Either my car handles way better than yours, or one of us is doing it wrong.  I never have to work the wheel that hard mid corner.  I was tired just watching your video after 10 mins!

Haha! I wouldn't say our car handles perfectly, especially after we lost some weight up high and toward the back with some glass coming out. I never feel that busy in the car but watching the video wore me out too. If you guys are the 411, then at about 9min, one of us is doing it faster than the other one. This was end of the day Saturday.

I always enjoy sharing the track with y'all, even though I don't really know any of you except a little bit from thscc AX in maybe 2005.

bendawson3 wrote:

If you guys are the 411, then at about 9min, one of us is doing it faster than the other one. This was end of the day Saturday.

That was my car, but not me driving since I drove first, and then again next to last on Saturday. 

Rarely does the fastest car or driver win in Lemons, and we finished 5th just 0.2 seconds behind 4th, so I'd say we did something right.

Captain

Well done y'all! I read your last lap rundown. You think maybe a faster driver might have gotten your car 0.2 sec farther into the future and into 4th place?

But yeah, I know that's not what endurance racing is all about, though.

VKZ24 wrote:

Rarely does the fastest car or driver win in Lemons, and we finished 5th just 0.2 seconds behind 4th, so I'd say we did something right.

Sorry 'bout that. I'll be quicker with the point in the future. wink It's hard to brake, shift, turn, and point at T5.

Duff Beer Civic (#128) -- 2014 Sebring - Class B (#1 of 7), 2016 Barber - Class B
1981 Jet Electrica 007 [Plymouth Horizon TC3] (#128) -- Mk.1 - Index of Effluency Eco (IOEe) @ 2016 Lemons South Fall, Mk.2 - Judges' Choice @ 2017 'Shine Country Classic, Mk.3 - Index of Effluency @ 2017 Southern Discomfort

bendawson3 wrote:
VKZ24 wrote:

Haha! I wouldn't say our car handles perfectly, especially after we lost some weight up high and toward the back with some glass coming out. I never feel that busy in the car but watching the video wore me out too. If you guys are the 411, then at about 9min, one of us is doing it faster than the other one. This was end of the day Saturday.

I always enjoy sharing the track with y'all, even though I don't really know any of you except a little bit from thscc AX in maybe 2005.

As a good observer, moderate mechanic, avid reader but mediocre driver I wonder if one of the three is accrurate:

1) Bushing or steering slop that require turn in, chassis settle, correct as SOP (had this in the van running stock).
2) Alignment just barely on the wrong side of the stability/agility balance but I doubt this on as in a straight line corrections seem minimal.
3) Like many drivers, you can feel what the car is doing quite well but the willingness to let the car do what is does and smoothly correct is not quite there (oddly, I am better than most here).

That driving style, if 1) is not the case, has to be hard on tires...and exhausting.  Not criticizing anyone here because I am by far the slowest driving in our slow class C car.  What I have noticed is the guys who know their stuff in a moderately well sorted car going fast...they still makes tons of corrections but they are about 25% as drastic corrections about about 5 times as often.  I forget the car but watching Anton lap was sublime.

Again, not knocking anyone but from my motorcycle days (the only time I think I was ever fast) I remember watching the guys I passed acting very differently than I did.  It was 80% the bike setup most of the time but the rest was without a doubt not having learned "smooth is fast, fast looks slow".

Ben and I are good buddies, and I've said to him more than once that I find his driving style 'crazy'. On the track, he drives with the confidence and skill to be very aggressive. He has great car control skills and relishes using them (too much I say). Still, his safety record and lap times are darn good. So he puts a little extra wear on the car. It's not like he's hitting other cars. He's just racing on the far side of the slip angle curve. Don't let his on-track personality put you off. If you meet him off-track, you'll find he is one of the most genuinely kind, thoughtful, gracious, and level-headed dudes around.

Race: 2012 Vodden; 2013 Pointless, EMP, Vodden, Freeze; 2014 Vodden, Freeze; 2015 Vodden, Loudon, Freeze; 2016 Pointless, Discomfort, Vodden, Sweat; 2017 Turrible
Staff: 2017 Pointless, Vodden, Freeze
http://yousuckatracing.wordpress.com

Aww, thanks, Ian! Usually my corrections are done trying to negotiate for a little early rotation on the way into a corner and then trying to pop the wheel open as soon as I can on the way out and maybe having to grab a little more steering angle to hit track out where I want to be. We don't have power, so getting rotation done early and getting back to the gas quickly helps. So does keeping the wheel open and the front tires straight.

I'm happy to digest any feedback or criticism. I always want to be faster and improve. I'm just a hack with a car.

Anybody else have any entertainment from the weekend??? The racing was very clean and smart, from what I saw. So, there probably aren't any shockers, but I always love getting to watch other folks get after it in their cars.....

11 (edited by VKZ24 2016-05-04 05:10 AM)

jfbeam wrote:
VKZ24 wrote:

Sorry 'bout that. I'll be quicker with the point in the future. wink It's hard to brake, shift, turn, and point at T5.

No worries man.  You Duff guys are some of the most courteous drivers on track.  The only way I was going to get by the 3 Pedal Mafia Merc was if he made a big mistake, and he didn't.  My team thought I was "holding back until the last lap" but in truth I was driving the wheels off the thing.  It was a fun race for us for sure.  We didn't visit the penalty box, didn't break anything, and in fact didn't even turn a wrench all weekend.  We look forward to doing it all again in the fall.

Captain

The Duff gang are the tops on and off the track, for sure! You guys are what Lemons is all about

Here's my team mate Hans Pflaumer cutting up in the rain. For a relative track newb, he dominates pretty hard. First time in the rain. Welcome to the addiction, brother:

https://youtu.be/39xaG8Gm1OY?t=639

That car looks tiring to drive for sure but you guys make some great moves.

If any of you guys want to see your own taillights, here's 2-3:30 on Saturday  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw7IPsq9z80
and 1:10-1:40 on Sunday https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIlCmDwvo9Q taken from our pizza delivery craft the Toyocedes.

Planet Express
"IOE" "C Win" 4834.701 Race Miles and counting
Toyocedes
"Least Southern Pickup Truck" "IOE" "C win" "C win (again?)"

I found this video when I was uploading my videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbXEqySt2Kg

I will post the like to my videos when I get them finished uploading.

Mock Grass Racing                                                                     Slower Traffic, Keep Right
2017 - Introduction of the Kia Amanti; 2016 - Killed the Car at WRL
2015 - 4 Races, finished all; 2014 - Barber, Blew 2 Engines; CMP, Class C winner
2013 - CMP, Blew engine; CMP, Engine Overheated 2012 - CMP, FInished; CMP, Blew Engine

Mcloed wrote:

I found this video when I was uploading my videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbXEqySt2Kg

I will post the like to my videos when I get them finished uploading.

I think Nick and Jay need to adopt the music at the 3:30 mark as the official music of the Lemons Wrap Up shows.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013