Topic: Sears Pointless.....car count?

Does any one know what the final car count is based on fully accepted and paid entries? Track configuration been determined yet?

Re: Sears Pointless.....car count?

I talked to Jay a couple of weeks ago and he said 150 cars had been accepted to the race and they figure about 125 will actually show.

Wes Conklin
Team California Mille
2007 Eyetalian Class Champions
20+ races and still going strong, Finally won one. Pacific Northworst Winner 2012.

Wow!

"The spectacle that is Lemons"...

So exciting!!

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

last I counted there was 208 teams entered...of course that doesn't mean they all get in....125 cars actually racing should be interesting....

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

The big question for me is: what course configuration?

Anyone?!?

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th

trekkor wrote:

The big question for me is: what course configuration?

Anyone?!?

KT

x2!!!

From what I can recall from an email conversation with Nick, they haven't arrived at a final configuration and probably won't until they get to the track on Thursday or whenever, but are almost certain to run the turn 4/5/6-carousel rather than the Nascar cutoff. If I were a betting man, and if we're looking at 125ish cars on the track, I'd bet that we will run mostly the IRL course, the part that veers to the left off the dragstrip, then the longer Nascar-based Turn 7, then the lower version of the esses into turn 9 (I think this is referred to as the IRL Chicane?), and then I'm hoping that we use the true turn 11 hairpin and the full front straight (longer track for more cars), but I could also see them using 11a instead to keep down front straight speeds.

But that's just my best guess. Cheers.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

All that you said makes sense EXCEPT the abbreviated T11 (11a?) with that many cars it is just safer to have the track as long as you can AND have safe passing zones. From the exit of the IRL T9a to T11 is one of the best and safest places to pass and then the run out of 11 into T2 is another.  The speed is not that much, really,  The hill is steep into T2 and MOST people (especially people that havn't run Infineon much) tend to over brake for T2 anyway PLUS the steepness of the hill, really scrubs off speed.  The run down the front straight into T1 at Thunderhill is far more hairy than the run outta T11 into T2 at Infineon.

I just want LONG and SAFE more than anything and the IRL T9a pretty much bypasses the most dangerous part of Infineon.

I'm extremely torn about whether the "IRL chicane" or the true T9 will be better.  The chicane absolutely keeps the speed in to the very dangerous T10 lower, but the chicane is so tight, that it will become an absolute choke point and contact/crash fest.

The driver in me wants to skip the chicane, as T9-T10 is a GREAT passing zone.  The armchair risk mitigator says the slower chicane is better.

What do others think?

Dean

I agree with you, Dean.

It seems the T9 chicane makes the most sense, safety wise.

KT

Not only do I know how many cars there will be (many) but I know the track configuration.

I just ain't saying.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

I'll ask 'Knuckles'...

KT

trekkor wrote:

I'll ask 'Knuckles'...

KT

Talking to my dog = 5 laps

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Bonus laps?

KT

I predict participants willove Infineon and it will be one of the Lemons favorite if not THE most favorite "must run" track. It is awesome

I run there about 6 times a year and visit more.
It's my favorite, by far.

It's tough not to go there instead of work somedays.

We'll be there Thursday-Sunday.

KT

trekkor wrote:

Bonus laps?

KT

Asking for bonus laps in a public forum is a 10 lap infraction.

So, you're now up to 15, pre-race

Judge Jonny wrote:

Not only do I know how many cars there will be (many) but I know the track configuration. I just ain't saying.

Why the secrecy??

ifb_mole wrote:
Judge Jonny wrote:

Not only do I know how many cars there will be (many) but I know the track configuration. I just ain't saying.

Why the secrecy??

Because all the speculation on safety, Jay's wallet, where to pass and other arm-chair expertize will surely crash the servers.

The Sharks
Home of the E28 Turbo Tuner Fish and the Hammered Head 944 Turbo

20 (edited by Mulry 2010-01-29 02:24 PM)

Ok, here's a new idea sure to intoxicate. Let's start at the exit to Turn 11. Go straight up the dragstrip, avoiding the difficult Turn 1/2/3/3a/4 complex entirely. Turn left at 6 and do the carousel and T5 in reverse order. Turn right at 4 and go down the Nascar chute. Turn right at the IRL cutoff from the dragstrip, then a hairpin back up the dragstrip where it intersects with the IRL cutoff, back toward T7. Use the long Nascar boot, the northern part of the esses, then the IRL chicane, T10, and then 11a.

Thus you take a thoroughly entertaining course and make a circus out of it, run in a configuration nobody has ever had the audacity (temerity? idiocy?) to run before. How's about them apples?

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:

Ok, here's a new idea sure to intoxicate. Let's start at the exit to Turn 11. Go straight up the dragstrip, avoiding the difficult Turn 1/2/3/3a/4 complex entirely. Turn left at 6 and do the carousel and T5 in reverse order. Turn right at 4 and go down the Nascar chute. Turn right at the IRL cutoff from the dragstrip, then a hairpin back up the dragstrip where it intersects with the IRL cutoff, back toward T7. Use the long Nascar boot, the northern part of the esses, then the IRL chicane, T10, and then 11a.

Thus you take a thoroughly entertaining course and make a circus out of it, run in a configuration nobody has ever had the audacity (temerity? idiocy?) to run before. How's about them apples?

In reverse.  We need to install a passenger seat so that we can properly brace our right arm as we look over our right shoulder to see where we are going.  Either that or a roof mounted rear view mirror like a ferrari 512.

If you could effectively make a cross-over (figure 8 style) in that configuration, then I think you're on to something...