Topic: In car radios: Headset and Mic

We have a set of Midland GXT1000 radios for the race and are wondering what is the best solution for the in car headset and microphone.

The cheap AVPH-1 has the right price

The pricier closed helmet AVPH-2 seems better.

Has anyone tried both of these solutions?

Opinions?

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

Re: In car radios: Headset and Mic

We use the AVPH2.  The 1 has a boom mic that doesn't quite fit right in the helmets.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

We are using the Motorola Talkabout MR350R radios and this headset.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi … K:MEWNX:IT

Don't have the headsets yet, but the radios works great. They also have mini-USB ports so you can run them off of a regular cellphone charger while in the car.

Shake and Bake
America, birthplace of the missionary position. You're welcome...

jw33 wrote:

We are using the Motorola Talkabout MR350R radios and this headset.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi … K:MEWNX:IT

That is basically what I have in my helmet, and it works great.  I lengthened the ptt button, and put it on the wheel.  Works good. For the rest of the cheap ass bums on my team who have yet to purchase said headset, I made an adaptor to go from some headsets that slide into the helmet.  They work okay, but not quite as comfortable.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

avph2 works great

We are going to use a sign on a pole that says PIT IN and a CB radio from my dad's rally days where the driver can hear us yelling at him but he won't be able to answer back because talking on a hand held is not allowed by the rules.

Pits: "DRIVER SLOW DOWN AND STAY ON THE ROAD!"
Driver: *pumps fist/extends middle finger while driving past pits*

Hey Heckler, we use the 1050 and AVPH-2 they work great.

Will it work with Uniden radios?

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

we are going to use the same radios with the AVP-H2 in our helmets

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Our team has stepped up to mental telepathy. Works great so far, but Gilbert Godfrey keeps butting into our conversations. What a jerk.

Disney wrote:

Our team has stepped up to mental telepathy. Works great so far, but Gilbert Godfrey keeps butting into our conversations. What a jerk.

Thank you, I needed that.  Made my morning.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

Disney wrote:

good for you. but the rest of us mental midgets still need a little assistance with communication.................................

I ordered a pair of the avph2s and 2 more radios.  We now have 4, 1 for the car and 3 for crew.

Anybody have a good way to make the crew actually pay attention?

1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine

Every once in a while say "fire" really loud into the mic.  Blame it on cross talk.

We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.

You whippersnappers with your new-fangled wireless talking-boxes!  Wait 'till you see our Dangerous Banned Technology comm system!

If it ain't broken, fix it 'til it is.

Roman candles are banned from the racetrack.

My money's on semaphore flags.

1978 AMC Pacer - The Blue Flag Special
BFE GP '12 - IOE
BFE GP '13 - Co-Organizer's Choice w/ Speed Holes Wrenching

Rockford Brodie wrote:

My money's on semaphore flags.

yep, but they will need a mast to fly them on. so far i have yet to see a ship anchored anywhere near pit road at any race track i've been to......

Try smoke signals....I'd often send one up and the crew had the tools packed up and ready to go....saves lots of time beating the post race traffic...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Our team took a vote. We all prefer the peace and quiet out on the track. If we get lonely and want to chat, we come in pits otherwise we keep going around in circles.  Seems to work. Finished 2 -24 hours so far.  What exactly can the radio do for you?   "go faster" check - driver is doing that already. "go slower" - why would you tell that to the driver?  "stop and come in" why?  just keep going until you run out of gas or the darn car breaks.    Radios - bah humbug. They're just a crutch for the over chatty crew chief.  I say fix his wagon. Strap his ass in the car and make him drive. That will shut him up!!!!!     Mommy !!!!!!!

Remember, it's never too early to start embellishing the past.

"so there I was, 90mph, sideways on the brink of death ..."

We use them mostly for the driver to tell the rest of the team that we're coming in.  Without radios, I'd come in to the pits with a car problem and the rest of the team would be at the concession stand eating nachos.

They would be handy when you see your car leave the pit with lug nuts missing and you can't flag the driver down!    Luckly he notice that the wheel was shaking and came in the next time around.   

Some form of communication is a safety need!

We just send text messages from the car to the pits and back.

Actually I'd considered using a wired hands free kit and simply calling the driver for a 2 hour phone call. Problems anticipated would be dropped calls and roaming fees. Although having AT&T will save me a fortune for any unexpected rollover minutes.

Just another crappy BMW and moto-powered MR2: http://www.facebook.com/BlackIronRacing
Gnome money, Gnome problems. (RIP) http://www.facebook.com/MetroGnomeRacing

gielamonster wrote:

save me a fortune for any unexpected rollover minutes.

ROTFLMAO

1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine

Spud wrote:

What exactly can the radio do for you?

I'm pretty sure a well timed radio call was used here.  Watch this video from the TAJ Racing guys.  Fast forward to the 1:00 mark and watch the Lightning McQueen Jetta on the restart.

We didn't have working radios the first race, but from them on we have, and they are a HUGE help IMO.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!